Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-03-2018, 11:27 AM   #1

Engine braking system

I have been reading the manual for the 2018 31UL and found a remark to engage the switch for the engine braking system when driving a longer downhill. That was of particular interest to me, because we just came back from the Smokey’s with our 5th wheel and had brake overheating despite driving at the 2nd gear and braking only at intervals, when we went over 3500 RpM.
I know, that gas engines do not have the exhaust butterfly valve like a Diesel, but instead the can have the Jake system which can be very effective.
I was wondering, if the mentioned braking switch would engage such a system. My inquiry at the Jayco dealer was disappointing. Allegedly Jayco does not offer anything like that in the 2019 model. Not even a manual mode where you can switch down the gears with a rocker switch, like on my 2500 Chevy truck.
Does anybody know what this braking switch on the 2018 31UL actually does?

Cheers
Jaycoskip
Jaycoskip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 11:58 AM   #2

We have a 2018 31UL. It's a button on the gear selector which is called TOW/HAUL. If you depress the button prior to going up or down mountains or hauling it changes the shift points on our 6 speed tranny. It doesn't search as much for the correct gear and doesn't constantly change gears.

When coming down a mountain with it engaged it actually uses the engine to assist in braking if you depress the bake pedal. Actually it works well. The V10 engine will hit some higher RPM's when using the engine brake but from what I've read and been told it's not a problem for this engine.
1955farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 12:09 PM   #3

So you are shopping for a Precept 31UL and want to know what, if any, engine braking setting/switch is available for the V10 gas engine?

Caution! I am an old man... so some of this may be out of date...
No gas engine that I know of has a 'butterfly valve' for engine braking. Jake brakes are for diesels ONLY.

As far as I know, Ford tow/haul mode is what Ford uses for engine braking on both gas and diesel engine vehicles. It will downshift the transmission for engine braking when 'tow/haul' mode is engaged AND you press on the brake pedal.

For MANY years the tow/haul switch has been located at the end of the transmission shift lever. This is a Ford engine/transmission thing, not Jayco. You could ask the salesperson if there is a button at the end of the transmission shift lever. They might know the answer to that.

EDIT: Thank you, 1955farm.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 12:17 PM   #4

Ok, got it. I saw the tow/haul button at the end of the shift lever, which I am familiar with from my truck.
So, it seems they don’t have any better idea then using this.
On those long winedy descends in the Smokey’s the engine is not enough at all. We have to use the brakes a lot, because the unit just accelerates too much within 10 to 15 seconds. Even in second gear.
Very disappointing. I thought that a 150k unit has something better to offer.

Cheers
Jaycoskip
Old 09-03-2018, 12:23 PM   #5

Jaycoskip…. You should be able to get 30-35% off MSRP easily.
1955farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 12:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaycoskip View Post
Very disappointing. I thought that. A 150k unit has something better to offer.
Cheers
Jaycoskip
You won't find it on a $300,000 gas unit either.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 12:43 PM   #7

Yes, I know. They offer the 2019 31UL for $99,995
Old 09-03-2018, 07:36 PM   #8

The tow haul and 6 speed worked quite well descending monarch pass at 11000 feet. Very little brake used.

hawkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 07:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkster View Post
The tow haul and 6 speed worked quite well descending monarch pass at 11000 feet. Very little brake used.
Then this might work better with the V10 engine.
Right now I have a Chevy Silverado 2500 with towing package and pull a 10K 30’ 5th wheel. The braking power from the engine is very weak, even with trailer switch engaged and manually switched to second gear with the rocker switch.

Cheers
Jaycoskip