Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-01-2016, 07:51 AM   #1

Unhappy Ever Heard This One - Satellite Install?

After years of using a Dish Satellite Tailgater, we decided we wanted a rooftop system installed when we purchased the new Precept. The install was part of the original deal, but we had to wait for the parts to come in. Dealer is a couple hours away, so we dropped the Precept off last week. They managed to fix several of the issues that had developed over the first couple trips out, but they cannot get the satellite to work through the rooftop cables. They claim they have tried everything and talked to Jayco and that there must be a crimp in the cable within the roof. Now they want to run the cable along the roof and then feed it through the wall to the inside wall where it needs to be.

Anybody??
donellen30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 08:26 AM   #2

A "good" tech should be able to run it through the ceiling, it's done all the time. I know techs who use the a/c duct.
Old 08-01-2016, 09:04 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by donellen30 View Post
They managed to fix several of the issues that had developed over the first couple trips out, but they cannot get the satellite to work through the rooftop cables. They claim they have tried everything and talked to Jayco and that there must be a crimp in the cable within the roof. Now they want to run the cable along the roof and then feed it through the wall to the inside wall where it needs to be.

Anybody??
I would question their testing. Ask them how they tested the cable.

- The initial test would be to disconnect the media center end of the coax and test the cable with a volt/ohm meter to see if there if it is shorted, they will read a resistance, it should read no resistance.
- For the second test they should put a 75 Ohm terminating resistor (used for coax cable testing) on one end and see what the resistance reading is at the other end (should be 75 Ohms).
- Finally they could do a frequency test on the cable, but I guarantee that they do not have this tester.

A common problem is that the cable connectors were not properly crimped when Jayco installed them, which would either give you no signal or a snowy signal. Have them check the connectors.

Ask them to verify the test results and let you know what method they used.

I personally would not allow them to run in the cable the way you mentioned. I would call JAYCO directly and ask for their assistance and ask them HOW MANY TIMES the dealer called Jayco support for assistance.. Also tell Jayco that their solution is not acceptable... I bet they did not call them.

If the cable is defective it should be a warranty replacement.

GRUMPY is correct...

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote