Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-28-2018, 09:43 PM   #1

Excessive cabin heat, 2016 Precept

On our recent trip up a Rocky Mountain pass, in 90 degree weather, the Precept pulled well (Banks intake) and the engine was fine, but engine heat, from behind the radiator, was flooding the cabin with 100+ deg heat. There must be gaps into the engine bay.
You have to remove the front seats to get a good look, but snaking around I can see daylight near the A/C tubing, two finger gaps on both sides of the engine cover and a big vent in the passenger footwell. I have lined the engine cover with Dynamat and I'll seal every gap I can reach with metal tape and Dynamat, but I think there are major gaps in the Jayco plywood firewall as it interfaces with the Ford chassis that are out of reach. I didn't notice this extreme hot air before - could something have moved under the cowl?
I don't think that footwell vent comes from the engine. Isn't that the air return into the Ford's cab A/C? Anyone know? Don't want to plug that.
Parked on a windy day, I can feel air moving from under the front.
Steve Pease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 11:14 AM   #2

Welcome to the wind tunnel! The "firewall" and I use that term loosly has many open penetrations. On my list for this fall is to remove the seats, dash, carpet and dog house and build it all correctly. While it's all open I will "dress" the wiring and arrange and shorten the air ducts (some of them make loops they are so long) add defroster vents for the passenger and driver's windows, seal the firewall holes and then Dynamat/Hushmat the firewall, floor and doghouse. I will also come up with accessible fasteners for the doghouse so the engine can easily be serviced. I'll also reinstall and fortify the dash bracing. After all is put back together a new infotainment system with a high resolution screen will be installed and the Jensen can hit the trashcan.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 08:00 PM   #3

Is the Jensen a standard size so that something better can be swapped in? The wire-loom for the infotainment system is complex - there are available wires for everything - lots of loose stuff. Label anything you pull off.

My Jensen mapping system, barely a year after purchase, is not supported by the mapping supplies - the model number isn't on their online list. ANother model might work, I suppose.
Old 09-09-2018, 03:12 PM   #4

Vicr, please keep us apprised of your progress! Pics would be much appreciated!
Southernman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 05:25 PM   #5

I will. I'm going to start in a couple of weeks.
Old 09-11-2018, 01:23 PM   #6

Howdy Vic.

Hope all is well up north. Still thinking of Quartzite next winter?

Can't wait to see your pics of the mods/improvements on the front area.

Mike
Arniesports60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 08:17 PM   #7

Some things fixed, but a bigger problem arises

On the edges of the so-called engine hatch, there are verticle holes (construction gaps) about 3/4" by 4 inches where the hatch doesn't quite fill the gap. One admits behind-the-radiator hot air on my accelerator pedal leg. Spray foam covered them over for now but it's unsightly - will have to peel the rug back and seal with metal tape. But the problem is the Ford Dash A/C has stopped - diagnosis says it's the compressor. VERY hot air fills the vent tubes (the ones that haven't fallen off anyway) and one dumps that air on the passenger's feet. 120 deg according to the thermometer. That's not good news - the engine accessories are very hard to reach either from under of via the screwed-down hatch. Thjats under warranty - let's see if that works.

I follow the seat removal, total plugging up projects with interest. Post pix etc please.

ANyone every service their Ford A/C compressor themselves?
Old 09-12-2018, 06:13 AM   #8

I understand from Facebook jayco site there is a recall (termed loosely) on some of the air conditioners. Supposedly the Ford part that turns the air on. I would call jayco CS and ask.

hawkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 07:58 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkster View Post
I understand from Facebook jayco site there is a recall (termed loosely) on some of the air conditioners. Supposedly the Ford part that turns the air on. I would call jayco CS and ask.
Could you provide a link to where you saw that ? I went to Jayco's FB site but did not find that. My pick up/PDI was delayed due to an A C problem on the Ford chassis.
Thanks
GCSuper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 10:32 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSuper View Post
Could you provide a link to where you saw that ? I went to Jayco's FB site but did not find that. My pick up/PDI was delayed due to an A C problem on the Ford chassis.
Thanks

Go to the FB Jayco Precept and Alante group.
Old 09-12-2018, 02:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
Go to the FB Jayco Precept and Alante group.
Thx !
Old 09-13-2018, 03:13 PM   #12

2015 Precept No Recall

Went to the NHSTA site - there was no recall for my 2015 Precept - but I'll be it's the same AC problem. ANyone know what Ford Part is suspect? Apparently it's not the compressor - hopefully, it's something more accessible than that.
Old 09-13-2018, 03:20 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pease View Post
Went to the NHSTA site - there was no recall for my 2015 Precept - but I'll be it's the same AC problem. ANyone know what Ford Part is suspect? Apparently it's not the compressor - hopefully, it's something more accessible than that.
On the FB site they said it was the switch assembly. Wasn't making contact when turned on.
Old 09-13-2018, 03:23 PM   #14

Apparently, there are two Safety Notices - both for the Ford 2017 F53 chassis.

Brakes: https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2017/FORD/F-53
A brake fluid leak or air ingestion can lengthen the distance needed to stop the vehicle, increasing the risk of a crash. Ford Motor Company (Ford) is recalling certain 2017 F-53 stripped motorhome chassis and F-59 stripped commercial chassis, equipped with Antilock Brake Systems (ABS).

Second was another 2017 F53, a Thor Class A, delivered with undersized wheels and tired and the coach's weight was overpowering them.

Nothing about AC on NHSTA
Old 09-18-2018, 05:07 PM   #15

Had the same problem with the switch. Had it replaced but still doesn't work. Also found on our last trip placing the dash vent on internal recirculation didn't work either as it was pulling hot air into the cab. At the dealer again for warranty work.
Keetters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 05:14 PM   #16

Just got the call ours is ready. Ford dealer returned it to Jayco unrepaired on Monday and now Tuesday they call me and say it's ready. Hope so it's still hot/humid in TX. Picking it up Saturday. Hoping for good luck.
Old 09-18-2018, 06:07 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arniesports60 View Post
Howdy Vic.

Hope all is well up north. Still thinking of Quartzite next winter?

Can't wait to see your pics of the mods/improvements on the front area.

Mike

Mike, we're not sure about Quartzsite. we're ready to get started on our Foothills lot. We're heading down in October to interview builders.
Hope to get the ground work and garage built next year.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:18 AM   #18

Vic, re: Quartzite. no problem, we are busy on our building process in Prescott.
Got foundation done. will email you pics.

exciting news on your lot. i'm sure you are excited too.

take care.
Arniesports60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 10:36 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
Welcome to the wind tunnel! The "firewall" and I use that term loosly has many open penetrations. On my list for this fall is to remove the seats, dash, carpet and dog house and build it all correctly. While it's all open I will "dress" the wiring and arrange and shorten the air ducts (some of them make loops they are so long) add defroster vents for the passenger and driver's windows, seal the firewall holes and then Dynamat/Hushmat the firewall, floor and doghouse. I will also come up with accessible fasteners for the doghouse so the engine can easily be serviced. I'll also reinstall and fortify the dash bracing. After all is put back together a new infotainment system with a high resolution screen will be installed and the Jensen can hit the trashcan.
We have a 2017 Jayco Precept and I am very interested in how you added accessible fasteners to your engine doghouse so your engine can be easily serviced. I dread the thought of having to remove my Precept's engine doghouse should I ever need to get to the engine.

Do you have any photos you can share?

John James, Palm City Florida
hikerjohn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 11:35 AM   #20

John, unfortunately I broke my ankle the end of September and haven't been able to do this MOD.