Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-22-2019, 02:47 PM   #1

Exterior Finish deterioration

2015 Precept, 31 UL. Bought this used 2 years ago with just 3,200 miles, now with almost 10,000. Overall we've been pretty happy with it, and I've dealt with the usual issues.

Recently I've made up my mind to wax the whole thing. It's looked pretty good just by washing it regularly with car wash soap with a wax component. The other day I clay barred the whole thing (whew!) and realized it was a lot dirtier than I realized. I've been using Meguiers ceramic wax on my cars of late, with good results, so I started with the end caps, endeavoring to do a section at a time.

However this is when I noticed some major deterioration of the finish in places. I could understand the front end, since that takes a beating, but the back? Sides look OK, although I can see the same thing starting in a couple of places. It almost looks like whatever sealed the fiberglass is coming off, yet there's no peeling or anything like that.

Any suggestions on how to stop the process, or make it look better? I'd take a picture but doubt it would show the difference. You have to catch it at the right angle, which is probably why I didn't notice it before.
Southernman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 02:59 PM   #2

If it was me, I'd make a call on Monday to the manufacturer and drop it in their lap. They use FRP panels (Fiberglass Reinforced Panel) and you may be part of a group that were buil with a poor performing purchase of panels from their supplier. Since you bought used, you aren't known to them if they wanted to reach out to you. Worst case, a QA person can tell you what might be happening and how to stop or slow it.
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 03:37 PM   #3

Southerman as muckinfuss said, Contact the mfg. They should not be deteriorating like that! BTW, you clay barred the whole thing WOW! now, that's persistence.....
Old 06-22-2019, 04:17 PM   #4

Try and see if you can get it to show in a picture. That would maybe give someone a clue to the problem. If the clear coat is coming off you would be able to feel that.

If you're in Columbia, SC I have a suggestion. We'll be there in October. You could come over, clay bar my 35S, and we could compare, see if mine is doing the same thing. ��
Old 06-23-2019, 07:02 AM   #5

Ha! Yes, I am in Columbia, and no, I will not be clay barring ANYTHING like this again! Especially in 90 degree heat!

Thanks for suggestions on contacting Jayco. I will do so!
Old 07-02-2019, 10:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southernman View Post
2015 Precept, 31 UL. Bought this used 2 years ago with just 3,200 miles, now with almost 10,000. Overall we've been pretty happy with it, and I've dealt with the usual issues.

Recently I've made up my mind to wax the whole thing. It's looked pretty good just by washing it regularly with car wash soap with a wax component. The other day I clay barred the whole thing (whew!) and realized it was a lot dirtier than I realized. I've been using Meguiers ceramic wax on my cars of late, with good results, so I started with the end caps, endeavoring to do a section at a time.

However this is when I noticed some major deterioration of the finish in places. I could understand the front end, since that takes a beating, but the back? Sides look OK, although I can see the same thing starting in a couple of places. It almost looks like whatever sealed the fiberglass is coming off, yet there's no peeling or anything like that.

Any suggestions on how to stop the process, or make it look better? I'd take a picture but doubt it would show the difference. You have to catch it at the right angle, which is probably why I didn't notice it before.
Southernman,
I have the same Motorhome and I have just noticed the same thing I have about 14,500 miles on mine. I'm the second owner as well. When I first saw this I thought it was like a 3M protective seal coming off the front cap but as you stated it is on the rear as well. I will try to take a picture and post it.

Dbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 06:54 PM   #7

Pic of my discoloration.
Attached Thumbnails
0702191900a.jpg  
Old 07-02-2019, 07:00 PM   #8

Rotated but you can see it at the top of the picture. The discoloration is either the gel coat or clear coat coming off. The area that reflect less light is a flat and next to it is shinny. Not sure what this is.

Old 07-08-2019, 06:41 AM   #9

Dbrown, I can't really see the difference in your photo, but I've also had a tough time getting a good shot of what's happening. I'm going to contact Jayco, but I'm not very optimistic they will do anything.
Old 07-16-2019, 04:51 PM   #10

Let me know what get say!

Old 07-16-2019, 05:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southernman View Post
Dbrown, I can't really see the difference in your photo, but I've also had a tough time getting a good shot of what's happening. I'm going to contact Jayco, but I'm not very optimistic they will do anything.
This maybe a better pic.
Attached Thumbnails
0702191900a~2.jpg  
Old 07-16-2019, 07:56 PM   #12

Wow, that actually looks worse than mine, if I'm seeing it correctly. It may not photograph well, but there's something going on for sure. I'll let you know what Jayco says.
Old 07-17-2019, 07:56 AM   #13

I showed it to my dealer when they did the fuse recall. They said they had never seen that before.

Old 08-12-2019, 09:58 AM   #14

Southernman,
Have you heard anything from Jayco on this issue?