Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-26-2017, 10:54 AM   #1

External LP tank for extended stay

Does the Precept 36T have a fitting for connecting an external LP tank? We are staying in Waco for a month and don’t want to have to move the RV to get more propane.
Jim Sinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 11:04 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Sinsky View Post
Does the Precept 36T have a fitting for connecting an external LP tank? We are staying in Waco for a month and don’t want to have to move the RV to get more propane.
I do not believe any Jayco comes factory-equipped with such a fitting. But they can be easily added, several manufacturers offer "Extend-a-Stay" kits. Some videos online that explain the installation too.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 10:34 AM   #3
GJB

I ordered mine from amazon. Camco 59125 w/ 5' hose. They have them to use external grill and they make them to use external propane tanks. This one was easy to install and I used it for 3 weeks of dry camping on 1 40lb bottle. Great for extended camping.
GJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 12:41 PM   #4

This is what I used on my Precept 35S. Easy install and works great.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2017 Precept 35S
2021 Jeep Wrangler toad
Roadmaster Nighthawk tow bar RviBrake3
GMA385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 07:16 PM   #5

Thanks everyone. I had the kit installed today.
Old 12-30-2017, 11:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
I do not believe any Jayco comes factory-equipped with such a fitting. But they can be easily added, several manufacturers offer "Extend-a-Stay" kits. Some videos online that explain the installation too.
Actually my 2016 Alante came with a quick dis-connect AUX propane outlet with a gate valve. It's in the same compartment as the on-board tank, left side. I plug in my cook stove, or stay-awhile spare tank if needed.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 12:53 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseS View Post
Actually my 2016 Alante came with a quick dis-connect AUX propane outlet with a gate valve. It's in the same compartment as the on-board tank, left side. I plug in my cook stove, or stay-awhile spare tank if needed.
The extend-a-stay systems I was referencing are connected on the LP high pressure side, before the regulator. The external tank to the RV hose does not incorporate a regulator, the RV's installed regulator takes care of the needed pressure reduction. All of the RV grill outlet connections I have seen (factory-installed) are downstream of the installed RV regulator. I would think introducing high pressure LP gas there straight from a tank could be disastrous. Plus my high pressure hose (as supplied in my Extend-a-stay kit) won't connect anywhere but to the fitting before my regulator to prevent that very thing.

If they now supply an Extend-a-stay kit with an external tank hose and regulator capable of feeding the whole coach's LP demand, I can see how that would work safely when introduced after the RV's installed regulator. I just haven't seen such a kit myself.

Good to know there are more options out there now!
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 11:23 AM   #8

Yes, my connection is downstream from the main tank regulator, it is a 'T' connection behind the tank and is low pressure. My 20 and 40 lb tank is equipped with a low pressure regulator so it is no problem as it supplies the same pressure as the regulator on the main tank.
If my main tank is empty I just plug in the spare one and close the main tank valve before opening the spare with the regulator attached, and yes, you are correct that without the low pressure regulator on the spare the high pressure would more than likely damage the one on the main tank. But as my main tank is 20 Gal I very rarely need the spare.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 07:36 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMA385 View Post
This is what I used on my Precept 35S. Easy install and works great.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks for the link!

MaxFalls44 - Idaho Carpet
IDAHO CARPET CLEANING AND RESTORATION - Idaho Falls
MaxFalls44 is offline   Reply With Quote