Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-09-2024, 11:02 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2024
Location: Exeter
Posts: 3
Finding correct year of our RV

Hi, I was just wondering if anybody would know where we could find the year of our RV in our rig. we have a Jayco Alante 31V . The owner that we purchased the rig from said it was a 2017 but we just got our title back and it said 2016. Thank you!
Happytimenow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2024, 11:07 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2023
Location: Jefferson city
Posts: 455
More than likely he bought it in 17, but the chassis was built and titled in 16.
__________________
Mark B

2021 GMC half ton T/V
2022 Jayfeather 25RB
Anderson WDH
Markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2024, 11:07 AM   #3
CAG
Senior Member
 
CAG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 4,078
2016 is probably correct. The vehicle/frame are purchased then to the factory for assembly which generally takes place the year after purchase. Mine was a 2017 Ford E450 but a 2018 Jayco Grayhawk 29MVP. Your title will be correct and if you want to really pin it down use the VIN to get the year of manufacturer.
__________________
2018 Greyhawk 29MVP-Sold
2023 Jeep Gladiator Mojave

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2024, 11:08 AM   #4
RPR
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Owens Cross Roads
Posts: 3,289
SN may show year chassis,drive line etc built by manufacturers. Paper work from Motorhome will show when motorhome was built.
RPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2024, 12:03 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2022
Location: Bassett
Posts: 47
My Jayco 36C is a 2023.
The chassis VIN reflects a 2022 F53 chassis.
This is pretty standard, a 1 year difference.
When it makes a big difference is when your making an insurance claim for lets say as an example for a windshield. Your insurance company will process the claim for the VIN year, but if the design changed between those years it would be a issue.
AlexG. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2024, 12:27 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Grumpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Where ever the boss says we're going.
Posts: 16,653
And it varies by State on how the title is dated. I know Ohio titles by the year the house was produced, not the chassis vin year. However you can get units that the same year.
__________________
DISNEY LOVERS
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2024, 08:53 AM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Bloomfield
Posts: 89
Like Grumpy says, pretty sure it varies by state, but in Missouri it could be titled either way. When I bought a 2003 MH (in 2011) from an individual the old title stated 2003, but when I took it to dmv to title/license in my name they said vin# showed 2002 which I'm sure was correct for the chassis, but I wasn't going to lose 1yr depreciation so I insisted they check with their main office for clarification (I was prepared to leave and make calls myself) but they were told to and instructed how to write it up as 2003. Same thing when I bought a 2015 HR and 2021 Precept (both new) so I only had title applications from the dealers, I had to insist they check further for instructions, otherwise they would have been titled as a 2014 and a 2020 because of their chassis mfg dates.
__________________
2021 Precept 36A
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Paul P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2024, 11:40 AM   #8
CAG
Senior Member
 
CAG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 4,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
And it varies by State on how the title is dated. I know Ohio titles by the year the house was produced, not the chassis vin year. However you can get units that the same year.
VIN determines the year on the title and that is attached at the factory. State DMV has no say in that number and changing it is illegal. There are “hidden” VINs on ever vehicle that can be matched to the original for verification.
CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2024, 04:15 PM   #9
CAG
Senior Member
 
CAG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 4,078
https://www.edmunds.com/how-to/how-t...-your-vin.html


I was typing the above on my cell phone at a breakfast stop so could not cover it all. Just a bit of additional.
The Coach, built by Jayco, or whomever, may have a serial number. That number will likely be different than the automobile that it is built on, that has a VIN. The VIN will give the year of manufacture of the automobile and that is what will be on the title, since DMV titles automobiles and not the coach. SO-your title is the year of the auto not the year of the build of the coach. (in most cases)
__________________
2018 Greyhawk 29MVP-Sold
2023 Jeep Gladiator Mojave

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2024, 04:21 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Grumpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Where ever the boss says we're going.
Posts: 16,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
https://www.edmunds.com/how-to/how-t...-your-vin.html


I was typing the above on my cell phone at a breakfast stop so could not cover it all. Just a bit of additional.
The Coach, built by Jayco, or whomever, may have a serial number. That number will likely be different than the automobile that it is built on, that has a VIN. The VIN will give the year of manufacture of the automobile and that is what will be on the title, since DMV titles automobiles and not the coach. SO-your title is the year of the auto not the year of the build of the coach. (in most cases)
As I said, it varies by state.... See post 7 & 8 Calif changed it to the house year not the chassis.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...too-57525.html
__________________
DISNEY LOVERS
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2024, 05:40 PM   #11
CAG
Senior Member
 
CAG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 4,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
As I said, it varies by state.... See post 7 & 8 Calif changed it to the house year not the chassis.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...too-57525.html

California does not go by US law in many cases. That is simply a violation of the laws set forth by SCOTUS. Since this is a US law, California cannot "by law" set their own rules, legally.



The rest of the US really does not pay much attention to what California uses anyway, and never has:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicl...ication_number




And how many other states have done this? Give me a list. Sorry but I worked auto theft for years and no state is allowed to change the VIN code to suit their little fiefdoms.
__________________
2018 Greyhawk 29MVP-Sold
2023 Jeep Gladiator Mojave

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2024, 05:51 PM   #12
CAG
Senior Member
 
CAG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 4,078
So, Grumpy, here is a little scenario for you. You get into an accident, no one hurt but I respond and during the investigation I check your VIN. That is routine. But lo and behold your VIN comes back to a 22 vehicle, and your registration says 21. Guess what. I am going to impound your vehicle until the differences can be clarified. I won't be responsible for towing or storage because it is your VIN that is in question not my investigation.



Very bad decision by California, if in-fact they did that and I have heard of no case where DMV in California did that. I would have to see that law change, BUT not my problem in Kansas, NY, where ever because that difference is going to result in an impounded vehicle, period.
__________________
2018 Greyhawk 29MVP-Sold
2023 Jeep Gladiator Mojave

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2024, 06:09 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Grumpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Where ever the boss says we're going.
Posts: 16,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post

And how many other states have done this? Give me a list. Sorry but I worked auto theft for years and no state is allowed to change the VIN code to suit their little fiefdoms.
NOBODY is changing the VIN..... They are putting the year the house was built in the "YEAR" space. As I said earlier, Ohio uses the year the house was manufactured. Based on your thinking many people are victims of FRAUD since they bought a 2024 MH built on a 2023 or even 2022 chassis. I even had firetrucks delivered titled a year later than the vin year. Jayco bought all the KODIAK chassis they could in 2009 and they were all sold as 2010's.

From an article on the web:

The Federal Trade Commission has ruled that this is not unfair or deceptive that the motorhome and the chassis would have two different years of manufacture. In fact, California, Maryland, Michigan, and Wisconsin are the only states that require dealers to disclose to customers any difference in model years between the completed coach and the underlying chassis.

When a new owner takes his paperwork to the DMV for titling and registration, what should happen is the DMV should title the vehicle with the model year specified by the RV manufacturer. Sadly, it appears that not every DMV employee has “read the fine print in the contract,” or maybe they’re just obstinate. In cases where the DMV insists on titling the rig with the chassis model year, you can get help. Grab your phone and call the Recreation Vehicle Industry Association at 703-620-6003 and ask for the Government Affairs Office. Hopefully your stalemate will be resolved in a hurry with their help.

INCLUDING YOUR POST FROM 2021.....or did the LAW not apply then?
Attached Thumbnails
cag.png  
__________________
DISNEY LOVERS
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2024, 06:33 PM   #14
CAG
Senior Member
 
CAG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 4,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
NOBODY is changing the VIN..... They are putting the year the house was built in the "YEAR" space. As I said earlier, Ohio uses the year the house was manufactured. Based on your thinking many people are victims of FRAUD since they bought a 2024 MH built on a 2023 or even 2022 chassis. I even had firetrucks delivered titled a year later than the vin year. Jayco bought all the KODIAK chassis they could in 2009 and they were all sold as 2010's.

From an article on the web:

The Federal Trade Commission has ruled that this is not unfair or deceptive that the motorhome and the chassis would have two different years of manufacture. In fact, California, Maryland, Michigan, and Wisconsin are the only states that require dealers to disclose to customers any difference in model years between the completed coach and the underlying chassis.

When a new owner takes his paperwork to the DMV for titling and registration, what should happen is the DMV should title the vehicle with the model year specified by the RV manufacturer. Sadly, it appears that not every DMV employee has “read the fine print in the contract,” or maybe they’re just obstinate. In cases where the DMV insists on titling the rig with the chassis model year, you can get help. Grab your phone and call the Recreation Vehicle Industry Association at 703-620-6003 and ask for the Government Affairs Office. Hopefully your stalemate will be resolved in a hurry with their help.

INCLUDING YOUR POST FROM 2021.....or did the LAW not apply then?



OK, What ever! but the TITLE of a vehicle contains the VIN not the year if manufacture of the COACH. If states are changing that and showing a VIN with one year and listing as another, they are setting themselves up for a big fall, so bottom line is, and if you don't like it pound sand because if there is an issue with a difference between the VIN and title. I am impounding your vehicle, and I can do that because I now do not know if it is fictious or stolen. I really do not care what California or any other state changes registrations to, you drive in my state, you are going to prove that your vehicle is not stolen if the year on the VIN does not match the year on your title.

No one is saying there cannot be two different years, what I am saying is YOU CANNOT HAVE A VIN THAT SAYS ONE YEAR AND LIST ANOTHER AS THE YEAR OF MANUFACTURE OF THE VEHICLE. NOT COACH, VEHICLE




So, I am done with this discussion. Law is law, VINs are VINs. I have no idea what post from 2021 you are talking about but
__________________
2018 Greyhawk 29MVP-Sold
2023 Jeep Gladiator Mojave

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2024, 06:45 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Grumpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Where ever the boss says we're going.
Posts: 16,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
So, I am done with this discussion. Law is law, VINs are VINs. I have no idea what post from 2021 you are talking about but
The exact same discussion. Vin year vs build year on the title. And I found it by accident.
__________________
DISNEY LOVERS
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2024, 09:17 PM   #16
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Bloomfield
Posts: 89
Guess it going to cost somebody a HUGE amount of money to build enough gigantic impound lots to hold the tens of thousands of RV's improperly titled
__________________
2021 Precept 36A
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Paul P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Jayco, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.