Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-03-2017, 01:44 PM   #1

FL Front End and Steering Wheel Alignment

Our brand new Precept 35 S has a steering wheel that is approximately 15-20º off center. Tampa RV suggested we have this done locally at Gator Ford Truck Sales, close to them in Seffner when we picked it up because they they don't that kind of work. Since we live in the Treasure Coast, the dealership told us to find a local Ford authorized center to do the job and that they would pay for it.

After calling and confirming my needs, I made an appointment with Advantage Ford in Stuart and, upon checking in, in spite of clearly explaining what we needed some days before when I made the appointment, they told me they don't do that. They suggested I go to a tire place in Fort Pierce. After driving up there they told me they could align it but they couldn't do anything with the steering wheel and were not Ford authorized.

I have contacte all the branches of Mullinax Ford in Florida, Wayne Ackers Ford, Al Packer Lincoln Ford and Sunrise Ford and none have the rack that can do it. I also contacted Florida Outdoors RV in Stuart, who can't do it and someone suggested I contact Palm Beach RV but have only been able to leave messages there.

I then opened the search circle and contacted Barrow Ford, a little over 2 hours each way and was only able to leave a message as well. I know I could go back to Tampa RV and visit Gator Ford to have it done, but that's a bit over 3 hours each way. I also tried Rush Truck Center in Orlando who said they can do it and that's only a bit over 2 hours away and seems like the winner.

Before making the appointment and going to Orlando, wanted to know if any of you have had the front end aligned at a Ford authorized service center in Florida and, if so, who and where please. Also if you had a steering wheel that needed correction, who and where please.

Thanks so much.
Palms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 02:59 PM   #2

The average Ford dealer as you have found out is not able to do that type of work for lack of proper equipment. What you need to find is a Ford dealer that sells and services fleet and commercial Ford trucks, they work on the big boy toys. I don't know your area but if you can't locate a dealer call Ford customer service at 1-800-392-3673 and tell them what type of dealer you need and hopefully they can locate one closer to you.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 03:25 PM   #3

Great help Sundancer330! After calling that number, the agent told me that Ford has a special number for the Motorhome Assistance Center. It is 800 444-3311 (might be good to let others know!). I called there and a very friendly rep took all my info and then put me on hold to find a dealer that could do the alignment and fix the offset.

She said they weren't sure if the dealer would determine if it was a chassis issue or a coach issue once I took it there. She offered to call around, find out and call me back with some alternatives to chose from. I gave her the list of the 14 I had already called.

In general a very pleasant experience. Now only waiting for the callback.
Old 05-04-2017, 05:18 PM   #4

I believe all information is in Ford manual.
edfgrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 11:07 AM   #5

Palms, you have the same problem we had. I called Jayco and they told me that they will fit the bill for the steering wheel adjustment and an one time front wheel alignment. Check that out with Jayco too.
When I called the guys that will install the Roadmaster Steering Stabilizer they told me that this is normal with new MH and the Steering Wheel adjustment and alignment will be done at the same time as the installment of the stabilizer. They told me not to do it before hand as they need to do this anyway after the Steering Stabilizer is installed. Hope this helps.
Sadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 03:06 PM   #6

I have been to Rush truck center in Orlando twice and saw at least two Class A's in que. Pretty sure the work will be done right there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Larry Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 06:23 AM   #7

Jayco covered ours up here, in MN, that was facilitated by our dealer. Made a world of difference for me.

btw, love the area you live in. My folks live in Stuart at the Florida Club, and I LOVE when we get to visit them.
Graunke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 06:56 AM   #8

At the end, FoMoCo found a place in Naples and following someone's suggestion, I called St. Lucie Tire & Battery and got a 7:00 AM appointment the next day. Very pleasant and professional folks, got the front end computer aligned in just over a half an hour. What a difference driving. It is much steadier and less corrections are needed. I had talked to Tampa RV and agreed I'd pay and send them the bill. It was just over $107 and they straightened out the stems on the inside rear wheels so I can access them with a long stem to check pressure.
The steering wheel correction, not so good. First try it was worse after the test drive going from +15-20º to almost +45º so they went over it a second time and now it's about -5-10º. Not resolved but better than last time. The technician has to fit between a hot engine and the wheel and took him a bit of time. Oh well, maybe next time something's done to the front, we'll have another go around.
In my case, the bill will/should be covered by my selling dealer not FoMoCo. They said that when their chassis leaves the factory they're "perfectly" aligned with the steering wheel on center and that when the RV manufacturer puts the box on it, that will happen. At least they intended to be helpful in finding an appropriate facility I didn't use in the end. I wouldn't hesitate to call them again if I ran into a future chassis, engine, transmission problem as their attitude is great.
Any Jayco owners that come to the area, give a shout before coming and we'll do a face to face!
Old 06-21-2018, 06:32 PM   #9

Steering Wheel Alignment 2018 Precept 35S

The steering wheel on my 2018 Precept 35S was setting at 10 O'clock when driving straight ahead, making it very difficult to steer.

The dealer called Jayco factory rep, got a ticket number and put me in touch with the local Ford dealer fleet manager.

It was determined that the steering collar on the gear box was installed incorrectly. Removed and installed it correctly and now the steering wheel is where it should be. It is now a dream to drive.

I paid for the work and the dealer is working to get a reimbursement from Jayco. Maybe it will happen.

Coffee tastes better if the latrines are dug downstream from an encampment.
- US Army Field Regulations, 1861
Cliff_W is offline   Reply With Quote