Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-21-2020, 05:12 PM   #1

Flat towing problem

I am flat towing a 2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk elite with my 2018 Jayco PRECEPT 29v. Everytime I tow the Jeep is dead when I arrive. I drove 6 hours and the car was so dead it couldn't even be jump started. A display on the console stated the engine was hot. I was able to jump start the next day! How could that be when the Jeep was not running. A special connection was made so the power for the Patriot brake system got power from the motorhome. This is very perplexing and makes me fearful of going anywhere.
Gaffer75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 06:34 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaffer75 View Post
I am flat towing a 2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk elite with my 2018 Jayco PRECEPT 29v. Everytime I tow the Jeep is dead when I arrive. I drove 6 hours and the car was so dead it couldn't even be jump started. A display on the console stated the engine was hot. I was able to jump start the next day! How could that be when the Jeep was not running. A special connection was made so the power for the Patriot brake system got power from the motorhome. This is very perplexing and makes me fearful of going anywhere.
Whole Lot of folks out there towing Cherokees without issue. There has to be something wrong in the setup wiring. Who did the install and when was it done?
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 06:44 PM   #3

RV dealer that the motorhome was purchased. They have no answer for this problem. Installed in 2019. This is the 3rd trip and the car was dead everytime.
Old 11-21-2020, 08:18 PM   #4

I tow a 2018 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk. Even though the engine is not running the electronic power steering is enabled so that the front wheels turn to follow the motorhome. This will draw the Jeep’s battery down if it’s not being charged. I have a charger from RViBrake3 installed which is powered from the MH while towing. Works like a champ.
On 2018 and earlier models the Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk required a tow harness kit to enable the power steering (EPS) without running the engine or having the accessory in the on position. Jeep apparently did a redesign so the 2019 and later models don’t require the harness kit. You cannot disconnect your Jeep battery because it needs to power the EPS but you need a means to charge it. As EA37TS mentioned either something is miswired or you need a charger to keep your Jeep battery charged while towing. They are readily available from numerous sources. Until you get this resolved I wouldn’t tow your Jeep because if your battery goes dead you will lose your power steering and the Jeep’s front tires will skid through sharp turns. Check your Jeep’s front tires to see if there is some excessive wear that you never noticed before. Good luck.
Old 11-21-2020, 08:40 PM   #5

OMG! No wonder I thought that it smelled like something was burning. Might have been the tires. It was a burning rubber smell. Thanks for sharing.
Old 11-21-2020, 08:53 PM   #6

When my Grand Cherokee Trailhawk was setup for flat towing I had them install a dedicated line to charge the Jeep's battery as well as power the InvisiBrake. I have done some trips with three day tows and have never had a dead battery. As a note, on overnight stops I do not disconnect the Jeep and have gone without starting on some overnighters. Again, never had an issue.

If they did not install a dedicated charge line might be something to consider having done or do it yourself. Power for the supplemental brake alone is not enough.

I am not sure about Patriot, but the Road Master InvisiBrake has a charging circuit that charges the TOAD's battery when the Motorhome's parking lights are on. My dedicated line is a supplement to the InvisiBrake's charging capability.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 07:13 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaffer75 View Post
OMG! No wonder I thought that it smelled like something was burning. Might have been the tires. It was a burning rubber smell. Thanks for sharing.
You can also get a burning rubber smell after you start a TOAD since it picks up rubber dust from the road and it lands on the exhaust system and manifold.
Old 11-22-2020, 08:58 PM   #8

I had a similar problem on my first tow of a CR-V. The battery went dead each day on the way to NH. The dealer installed a charge line to the battery with a 30 amp fuse, but it was not connected to the correct pin in the power pigtail from the motorhome. I undid the pigtail on the CR-V end and swapped the line to the correct pin. This is probably what you need to do.
jaycojon is offline   Reply With Quote