Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-24-2018, 11:31 AM   #1

Ford F53 Water Hose Issue

So, anyone out there with a 2016 Ford F53 chassis might want to take a close look at the dash heater hot water hoses. We had one develop a bad leak that sprayed coolant all over the front and beneath the engine while climbing the Grapevine .
Seems that ford routed the hose from the heater too close to the spring clamp for the oil filler neck>hose connection, and the point on the spring clamp rubbed a hole in the hose. I was lucky that I was close to the LeBec rest area where I pulled in, GS Roadside had a repair truck there in 15 minutes and the driver replaced the hose and refilled the coolant (used my gallon but needed it replaced) and had us back on the road in about an hour, great service as it could have been so much worse.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 12:26 PM   #2

I don't think Ford delivers the vehicle with heater hoses or a heater core. It leaves the factory a stripped motorhome chassis with no dash. That was Jayco's doing.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 03:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
I don't think Ford delivers the vehicle with heater hoses or a heater core. It leaves the factory a stripped motorhome chassis with no dash. That was Jayco's doing.
Actually what ford delivers is a 'Cut-Away' chassis, or called a 'Rolling Chassis by the industry. The heater core and airbox are installed in the firewall, as well as the hot water hoses into the block. There is no air delivery system (hoses) as that is left up to the coach installer due to different cockpit configurations. I did a production line tour prior to purchase, from where they drive the chassis into the line to the decals and leak check at the other end, an interesting tour.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
Old 05-25-2018, 05:46 AM   #4

Do you have an engineering number on one of those hoses? I see an -EB there in the pic. That's a suffix for the part number. Just looked at an F53 and it didn't have heater hoses on it. It would be interesting to know what hoses they're putting on it. They don't list any heater hoses or heater core for an F53. Just curious! lol Thanks!
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 10:12 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
Do you have an engineering number on one of those hoses? I see an -EB there in the pic. That's a suffix for the part number. Just looked at an F53 and it didn't have heater hoses on it. It would be interesting to know what hoses they're putting on it. They don't list any heater hoses or heater core for an F53. Just curious! lol Thanks!
I checked with Ford and the Production Manager at Jayco, and you are correct, Jayco installs the heater and other parts in a chassis receiving shop prior to sending them to the body line where I saw it, so yes, this is another Jayco FUBAR, on top of all the others.
Old 05-31-2018, 04:43 PM   #6

I also had a hole develop in my heater hose. Luckily it was small and I was home when I discovered it. I did have a hard time getting the connection at the control valve not to drip (on cool down only), and I even used a worm clamp.

Previously I had a drip on the main return hose connection that only occurred on the engine cooling down, I don’t have much faith in the spring clamps.
klspahr is offline   Reply With Quote