Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-09-2019, 08:35 AM   #1

Front end is too low

I've noticed the front end of my alante sits too low. When turning, the tires rub on the fenders. I took it to Ford yesterday and they said the chasis is fine so Jayco didn't put it on the chasis correctly. Anyone else have this issue and if so, how did you resolve it?

Also, the steering wheel is not straight. In order to drive straight, the steering wheel needs to be in the 11 o'clock position. I've had two alignments and Ford also said it is aligned. They think that once we get the above problem fixed, the steering will correct itself. Again, thoughts?
baslert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 11:14 AM   #2

Add a leaf spring.

The alignment has nothing to do with the steering wheel being strait. That is done down in the steering box. Several threads on this if you "Search".
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 06:02 PM   #3

Mine is aligned and it is pointed at 11 too. I don't pay any attention to it.

hawkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 06:31 PM   #4

There maybe be a couple of things going on here. The first thing that you need to check is the ride height, that is the height from the ground to a particular point on the frame, the dealer should know where this point is and what the measurement is. If you want to check it your self just pick a point on the frame and measure both sides, that will tell you if one side is lower that the other but it won't tell you if the height is correct. This shouldn't cause the the steering wheel not to be centered unless it is lower on one side than that other, even then you probably wouldn't notice it.

As to your wheel have to be in then 11:00 position for the coach to go down the road correctly it should not be there. Unless the steering wheel has been removed and put back on incorrectly it should be straight when the coach is going down the road straight. This can be corrected by lengthening the tire rod end on one side and shortening the one on the other side. Which one needs to be shortened is determined by whether the chassis is a front steer (the tie rods are in front of the center line of the wheel) or rear steer ( the tie rods are in back of the center line of the wheels). In sincerely doubt that Jayco put the coach on the chassis incorrectly. It's much more likely that a spring has broken or something else has gone wrong with the chassis. It's not out of the question, but I would be very surprised. I would try and find a different dealer or maybe take it to an independent shop to see what they think. If there is a Jayco dealer nearby you might take a tape measure and take a measurement off of one on the lot and compare it to yours. Best of luck.
Johnny Lightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 06:42 PM   #5

My understanding is that the wheel should be adjusted as part of a normal wheel alignment. This makes it easier to notice if your wheels go out of alignment in the future and gives you batter access to any wheel mounted items like, horn, phone, radio controls.

I would take it back and ask why they did not adjust the wheel as part alignment process. If it pulls to the left or right on a level road with no wind, it is not in alignment and needs to be re-done.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 06:51 PM   #6

This subject with motorhomes on the Ford F53 chassis leaning has been covered extensively the last few years. Leaf springs have been added where the ride height was too low and the steering wheel gets adjusted at the steering box not with the tie rods. Some of us know our motorhomes backwards and forwards and can offer the correct answers to the questions.

Mark, what's the last pie you and Tina have had?
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 07:50 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
This subject with motorhomes on the Ford F53 chassis leaning has been covered extensively the last few years. Leaf springs have been added where the ride height was too low and the steering wheel gets adjusted at the steering box not with the tie rods. Some of us know our motorhomes backwards and forwards and can offer the correct answers to the questions.

Mark, what's the last pie you and Tina have had?
Vic, it was coconut. Was delicious too.

One reason I don't worry about my steering wheel position (it's actually about 11:30) is I could attribute the position to the road crown it's that close. Watched a video yesterday of a guy getting several suspension changes. He's riding down the road with steering wheel near 11 o'clock.
hawkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 08:27 AM   #8

Angry My bad

May I please borrow your handkerchief to get this egg off of my face. I am so sorry I provided you with bad information. It appears as if the other poster (I can't get his name right now) has correct information and I don't. Again, most humble apologies.
Johnny Lightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 06:46 PM   #9

I have a 2018 Alante 31R with the same problem. First noticed the fender rubbing on both front wheels.

The dealer supposedly measured a reference point to drawing and said it met spec.

I took it to an independent frame and suspension shop and they said the chassis is fine. He said it appears the wheel well is not big enough. Jayco said to add a 1 inch spacer to both front springs. I am concerned that while this may raise the front will it cause other problems?

The suspension shop said they have plenty of experience with adding spacers to rear spring but they said they have never added them to the front on a Ford F53 chassis.

I have a call into Ford to ask them about this. Not sure what to do.
Paul M is offline   Reply With Quote