Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-26-2017, 07:23 AM   #1

Gas Rv Friendly Truck Stops

Our Alante 26 AX and toad measure 45' and we often find it difficult to find stops where we can easily gas up and be able to and exit easily. Flying J stops aside, I often find myself pulling into a Loves, for example, and finding perpendicular gas pumps with very little space to exit. If automobiles are parked in front of the store, it can be a matter of inches.

Does anyone know of an android app we could access to take the guesswork out of the picture?

Many Thanks, Joe

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
soperman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 07:37 AM   #2

I typically have my DW use Google Maps and turn on satellite imagery. You can usually zoom in close enough to get a good idea of what the layout of the station looks like. I've driven past a few that didn't pan out but for the most part we make out OK. I've run into quite a bit of cars parked where they shouldn't be that have caused me to have to wait a bit to get out but that's typically unavoidable...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 07:40 AM   #3

Google Maps? Good idea, thanks.

Old 08-26-2017, 10:04 AM   #4

We use, along with other apps, the truck and RV app. It gives a lot of information about numerous fuel stops along with a satellite view. It was very valuable during our first long initiation trip to help us feel comfortable negotiating our 50' combo through gas stops. Unfortunately, I don't know if it is Android compatible.
Old 08-26-2017, 11:12 AM   #5

Name? Thanks

Old 08-26-2017, 01:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by soperman3 View Post
Name? Thanks

It's called "truck and RV fuel stations".
2nOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 01:46 PM   #7

Drats.. Not for Android

Old 08-26-2017, 04:11 PM   #8

As you noted, most all Flying J and a few Pilot truck stops have RV lanes specifically made for longer setups. I am 60' long from bumper to bumper and seek them out specifically. I also make sure to go inside and pay vs at the pump because in my experience, they put a rather large hold on your card. Pilot corporate tells me they don't do that, but rather it's my CU doing it, but my CU assures me it's not them. I choose to believe my CU. But paying inside prevents that hold from being put on the card. You can get the My Pilot app and using the filters, can find out what stations have the RV lanes.

Other than that, each night before turning in, I plan out the next day's stops mileage wise and use Google Maps to scout out exits and stations, specifically looking for stations whose lots are much larger than the rest, pump setups that are parallel to the station building instead of perpendicular to it as well as which pumps would be the easiest to get in and out of in regards to driveways both in and out, adjoining side streets, etc. If there is a canopy, you just look for the oil/rubber staining on the edge of the canopy to determine traffic flow under the canopy.

It may seem like overkill, but I have yet to get into an "oh crap" situation.
Old 08-26-2017, 04:20 PM   #9

Thank you blujay40, ++ on perpendicular gas pumps but I've yet to see any gas rv lanes.. That would be great. We're also going to use use satellite images and plan ahead.

Old 08-26-2017, 07:05 PM   #10

I m 52 ft and have never had a problem. On the Interstates I try to exit only where the signs show at least 3 gas stations, that way I have always found one that works. usually observe my exit before I enter.
Lillys Pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 07:22 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by soperman3 View Post
Our Alante 26 AX and toad measure 45' and we often find it difficult to find stops where we can easily gas up and be able to and exit easily. Flying J stops aside, I often find myself pulling into a Loves, for example, and finding perpendicular gas pumps with very little space to exit. If automobiles are parked in front of the store, it can be a matter of inches.

Does anyone know of an android app we could access to take the guesswork out of the picture?

Many Thanks, Joe

I think this would be a great app. Someone should make it. I would buy it. But I have found that most gas stations that offer propane have pumps with large areas for our big rigs. I come in at around 63 feet when I pull in.
2015 Silverado 2500
rodro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 08:19 AM   #12

Garmin

I purchased a Garmin GPS specific to truckers and RVers, you punch in your vehicle length and height and it will show you which gas stations work for your length, also what bridges to avoid. Just came back from a cross country trip and it worked every time. I also use the app "Gas Buddy" which shows you the prices of gas in your area, you will be surprised just driving an extra few miles can save you much on gas, sometimes as much as 10-20 cents per gallon...with our big tanks the savings add up quick.
ADKPreceptwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 08:33 AM   #13

All the rest stops in NY have you pull into the truck and trailer section and from there, you cant get to the gas pumps. I have to go straight to the pumps and then there is no way to get back to the parking lot. I usually just use my camper bathroom while the gas pumps.
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 09:43 AM   #14

We just experienced similar issues on our last trip. In TX, we usually feel pretty confident with Loves or Pilot/Flying J. But on this last trip (through TX, AR, IL, MO, KS, OK) we discovered that not all Loves & Pilot/Flying J are created equal. We found an astounding number of stations under those banners that were WAY too small for us. Even if the pumps were parallel to the road, they were occupied. And instead of fueling up and pulling away, those folks would fuel up and take their whole family inside for relief/shopping and I'm not waiting around for that! And if we used one we could get to, we would block 3 pumps at a time (1/2 of the station's capacity), and that's not cool either.

DW tried using Google maps and satellite with some success. And we generally had good luck exiting in areas that had 3 or more fueling stations of varying brands, but that was not a guarantee of easy access.

We found one Pilot (in Arkansas) that had an RV specific lane, and that was NICE! Until we discovered the $500 hold they put on our card, for a $60 fill up. Not a big deal, but we had to roll our eyes at that one. It was also nice that it was clearly marked. We've been to stations before that had RV lanes, but they were not clearly marked and thus not seen until I was standing there waiting for the tank to fill up looking around. Another eye-roll.

Something else we discovered was a pump limit. I didn't know stations still did this. We used our extra generator fuel at one point when we couldn't find a suitable stop, and when I went to refill the cans, and an entire tank of fuel in the truck at the next stop, the pump cut off at $75. Another eye-roll.

We're thinking of getting a diesel motorhome, and it seems fueling would be one check in the "advantage Motorhome" column.

For the time being, I might have to check out some of the apps you guys have mentioned...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 12:35 PM   #15

We're in TX now having come over NY, PA, VA, TN, AR, and OK .. We've targeted the Flying Js and Loves if needed. I'd have to be in dire straits to stop at a Pilot. We use Trucker Path as our primary app for gas.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk