Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-21-2022, 09:10 PM   #1

Generator

Our generator was cranking but not kicking in, I changed the fuel pump, fuel filter and spark plug. Now it won’t crank, just makes a humming sound. Breakers are ok, both batteries are showing over 13 and fuel tank is about three quarters. Can’t figure out what I did wrong. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
russellmania01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 08:41 AM   #2

First, Check and clean all of your battery cables, look for corroded or loose connections and proper grounds.
Second, your batteries may be weak, have them load tested.
Third, if it cranks, check for spark, check for fuel. Usually a whiff of gasoline at the exhaust pipe is a good indicator of fuel.
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 08:48 AM   #3

May have damaged the starter with all the cranking. If starter is accessible, try to 'tap' on it with a SMALL hammer to try to get it cranking again, when it's trying to crank. If one of the brushes gets stuck on a bad spot on the commentator the tapping may shake it loose. This however is only a temporary fix until everything lines up 'wrong' again....
ejmasjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 12:57 PM   #4

Ok I finally got back to the generator, had to wait for it to warm up. Replaced both batteries, load test showed the house battery was bad and it showed the chassis battery was weak. That didn’t fix the problem. I took some pictures that I will add. There is one white wire and I don’t know where it goes. The two with the clips go on top of the solenoid but the one that goes on a bolt is the one I don’t know where it goes. The original picture I took doesn’t show it attaches to the solenoid. Any assistance would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
513BBD60-E58A-48B5-BDD7-246D3E913C4B.jpg   3DCD4D55-B24A-4AEA-AF96-32BFDE28A01C.jpg  
Old 12-28-2022, 09:40 PM   #5

The white wire that is hanging out in the breeze. Where does the other end fasten to? I'd bet either the battery, or the starter motor.
With that wire disconnected from where I think it should be, the humming is most likely coming from that solenoid.

Roger
GTS225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 01:43 PM   #6

That white wire most likely goes on the positive side of the solenoid to power it.
Attached Thumbnails
E9865166-7825-4551-842E-BD0E238114A2.jpg  
Old 12-29-2022, 06:41 PM   #7

That’s what I’m thinking but the picture I took before I took apart doesn’t show it. I’m going to have to go back and put it back together and check all the ground wires and hope for the best. Thanks for your replies.
Old 12-29-2022, 08:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellmania01 View Post
That’s what I’m thinking but the picture I took before I took apart doesn’t show it. I’m going to have to go back and put it back together and check all the ground wires and hope for the best. Thanks for your replies.
The solenoid needs 12 volts to power it to send 12 volts through the bigger wires to engage the starter.
Old 12-29-2022, 09:07 PM   #9

I did a load test on the house battery and it was bad and a load test on the chassis battery and it was weak , both batteries have been replaced. I took pictures before I started the project and thought I was good, damned if I know where that wire came from but the positive side of the solenoid is about the only place it can go.
Old 01-01-2023, 06:21 PM   #10

Ok I went back and cleaned all the connections and now it’s cranking but still not starting and it’s giving me a code 36 which is just a catchall code. This leaves a lot of questions.
1. Clogged carburetor, it’s getting fuel.
2. Control module bad.
3. Solenoid bad. Would it crank if the solenoid was bad?

As I stated before I changed the fuel filter, fuel pump and spark plug. The only thing I can think of now is to bypass the motor coach fuel tank and try to run some new clean fuel through it.
Old 01-01-2023, 07:59 PM   #11

Putting your model and year of your motorhome in your signature helps us help you. Yes, bypassing the fuel line from the tank is a good idea. The fuel line tends to get old and develop leaks which makes it suck air instead of gas. Just remove the line from the fuel pump inlet and put a line in a gas jug straight to the pump.
Old 01-01-2023, 08:39 PM   #12

It is a 2020 Alante 29f and has a Onan QG4000 generator. The coach has been setting for a while and I didn’t exercise the generator like I should have. The coach has a half tank of fuel and it’s been in there quite some time and these days we really don’t know what’s in it.
Old 01-01-2023, 08:48 PM   #13

Quote:
Ok I went back and cleaned all the connections and now it’s cranking but still not starting and it’s giving me a code 36 which is just a catchall code. This leaves a lot of questions.
2. Control module bad.

As I stated before I changed the fuel filter, fuel pump and spark plug. The only thing I can think of now is to bypass the motor coach fuel tank and try to run some new clean fuel through it.
So if the carburetor is getting fuel, another test might make more sense than providing an alternate fuel source........at this point in time. Suggestion: Remove the spark plug and hold it against the engine block with a vise grip and verify it sparks when cranking. Mine didn't ....... on an Onan Micoquiet 4K Spec J (bad magneto ass'y.)

Good luck with the fix.
Toad: 2016 Kia Soul w/6-spd DIY
"Be the person you needed when you were younger"
youracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 06:36 AM   #14

Quote:
It is a 2020 Alante 29f and has a Onan QG4000 generator. The coach has been setting for a while and I didn’t exercise the generator like I should have. The coach has a half tank of fuel and it’s been in there quite some time and these days we really don’t know what’s in it.
That’s a nice motorhome and would hope the gas line is ok but my brother in law has a 2020 Forest River that the gas line to the generator developed a leak and sucked air and he replaced it to fix his generator. You can put your motorhome description in your signature for future posts to show up each time you post something. You might also try removing the fuel pump and try starting to see if it pumps fuel.
Old 01-02-2023, 07:02 AM   #15

Thanks youracman for the info, I will try that. Parrot, I removed the fuel line at the carburetor and hit the prime and it is pumping fuel.
Old 01-02-2023, 07:06 AM   #16

Quote:
2. Control module bad.

Get a tester for spark. Next find some way to get fuel in it. When you hold the off rocker down do you hear the pump running?
Attached Thumbnails
63590_I.jpg  
Old 01-02-2023, 07:48 AM   #17

Yes I can hear the pump running and when I remove the fuel line at the carburetor and hit the prime fuel does come out. At first it was coming out kind of dark and then it lightened up which makes me think the problem now is the carburetor. But I will have to check for spark. Thanks
Old 01-02-2023, 09:08 AM   #18

Quote:
Yes I can hear the pump running and when I remove the fuel line at the carburetor and hit the prime fuel does come out. At first it was coming out kind of dark and then it lightened up which makes me think the problem now is the carburetor. But I will have to check for spark. Thanks
The best thing is to check the spark before doing anything else. Remove the plug and hold the plug against the engine and see if the spark jumps the gap on the plug. The last thing would be compression and being that new I wouldn't think that would be it. You might need to take apart the carburetor and clean it and blow it out. First tap hard on the side of the float bowl and see if you get fuel, if not remove the float bowel and see if fuel keeps running out if not see if you can move the needle. If no fuel remove float and needle clean the needle and seat area with carb cleaner and reinstall
Old 01-02-2023, 09:45 AM   #19

Quote:

Fuel does deteriorate over time and "go bad". Small engines seem to be more sensitive to stale fuel.
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 10:30 AM   #20

Quote:
Thanks youracman for the info, I will try that. Parrot, I removed the fuel line at the carburetor and hit the prime and it is pumping fuel.
My old snowblower would do that once in a while. The needle would stick in the seat and until it came down no fuel would get into the carb