Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-29-2021, 06:53 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrott View Post
I got mine through a Forest River dealer. I believe the FR3 came from the factory with the vent installed in the door.

I emailed Forest River and here is the response I got from them about the Grille & Airbox.

"You'll need 70A09401A (grille) and 70A09400A (airbox) you will more than likely need to paint the grill to match your unit color though. Parts can be ordered through any local Camping World, or the dealers I have listed below. Just be sure to let them know they are Forest River part numbers for an FR3 unit, they won't need a VIN to order them."

He had listed a couple RV stores near me where I could order the parts.

I will go over the the RV store and check it out.

Thanks for the info.

Blue Ox Baseplate w/Aventa LX Tow Bar & KarGard II Deflector
Blue Ox Patriot Brake
tom463219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 06:57 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom463219 View Post
I emailed Forest River and here is the response I got from them about the Grille & Airbox.

"You'll need 70A09401A (grille) and 70A09400A (airbox) you will more than likely need to paint the grill to match your unit color though. Parts can be ordered through any local Camping World, or the dealers I have listed below. Just be sure to let them know they are Forest River part numbers for an FR3 unit, they won't need a VIN to order them."

He had listed a couple RV stores near me where I could order the parts.

Thanks for the info.

You are welcome. I went through this whole generator scenario when I had my Thor Ace.
Parrott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 08:42 AM   #23

Send a message via Skype™ to Foretm
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom463219 View Post
"You'll need 70A09401A (grille) and 70A09400A (airbox) you will more than likely need to paint the grill to match your unit color though.

Please let us know if you are able to get it...
Foretm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 12:21 PM   #24

Does it start missing before it stops
Michigan plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 01:26 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foretm View Post
Please let us know if you are able to get it...

Yes please - I googled around for those part numbers and came up empty. It's a mod I'd like to make too.

It looks a bit better than my plan to just hack at the door with my Milwaukee jigsaw.
Old 07-03-2021, 02:49 PM   #26

Generator door vent

I saw this Entegra RV in the RV storage lot where we park our Alante. I understand that Jayco may be doing this as standard equipment this year.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5688.jpg  
Yamaha XT250
berwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 03:05 PM   #27

You do not mention brand, size or fuel type/ cooling type GEN, but many small electric fuel pumps suffer similar syptoms, (esp. w/ age/ heat) and some vehicles/ owners blame vapor lock, BUT OFTEN fast/ easy is FP replacement cures fuel issues... and sometimes NOT... LUCK
thenne1713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 12:21 PM   #28

Generator overheating on Alante 26

I had the same problem( out West too) on my 2017 Alante 26. I phoned Jayco technical and found out that Jayco now has a ventilated panel specifically for this problem. They gave me the part number( sorry I don’t have it). It was $140. It requires cutting the outer RV compartment door, over the generator intake. There is an approximately 2-3 gap that needed a gasket. I actually glued a “ shaped” pool noodle around the ventilated panel and the problem was solved. Also, as others have posted, the generator oil level needs to be approximately half way between “low” and “high”. Seems like there is a high oil and low oil engine cutoff sensor. Happy travels CJ
Captnjimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 03:26 PM   #29

I saw a second Jayco, this one a Greyhawk Prestige, with the new generator cooling panel today.
Yamaha XT250
berwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 06:49 PM   #30

We should be able to get a new door for our Jayco’s. This is a true defect.

#Bru_Tube

Alante31V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 05:44 AM   #31

As mentioned earlier, Forest River has a couple parts for the FR3, that are generic and allow the Onan 4K generator to breathe out the side of the door to get fresh air instead of hot air from the chassis engine. I recently ordered the parts from my local camping world and they did not need a VIN number to do it. I simply told them it was for a Forest River FR3 and it was a generic part.

70A09401A (grille) - $58
70A09400A (airbox) - $18

Here they are installed. Since the Onan 4000 is tapered being wider at the bottom than the top, the sides and bottom of the back piece had to be trimmed about 1/2" at the bottom tapering up to 0" at the top. Easy to do with a razorknife, just score and bend. The door was removed and a jigsaw was used to cut the opening. The door is styrofoam on the inside, so I used oversize fender washers on the back of the stainless bolts and nylon nuts. I painted mine white to match the coach, be sure to use a paint/primer combo or prime it first.

I can tell you that the air moving through that opening is significant, and in my case since the generator is right behind the engine, I think its sucking too much hot air and overheating. This should resolve the issue I have which is it shutting down while stationary and both engine and generator running at the same time. Won't know for sure until it gets much hotter, but will update when we get some hot weather.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7553.jpg   IMG_7554.jpg   IMG_7558.jpg   IMG_7556.jpg  
Old 02-26-2022, 07:03 AM   #32

I saw your other thread. Nice mod. Hopefully solves yours.

But, as I just bought my Alante last year, things like this, tick me off. Post #26, why is there not a door for all of us? Don’t let the “man” off the hook. ; )

#Bru_Tube

Alante31V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 10:04 AM   #33

The only thing I noticed is that after installing my vent (another generic type) the generator sound jumped up about 2db, very noticeable.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 08:37 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alante31V View Post
I saw your other thread. Nice mod. Hopefully solves yours.

But, as I just bought my Alante last year, things like this, tick me off. Post #26, why is there not a door for all of us? Don’t let the “man” off the hook. ; )

Yea I put it here too as others were mentioning the part and I wanted to make sure folks knew its available and how to get it if wanted. I agree this should be done at the factory or some other change to prevent this. Maybe use a fuel injected version of the genset, insulate the lines, add a fuel pump between the tank and generator, something.
Old 02-27-2022, 08:40 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseS View Post
The only thing I noticed is that after installing my vent (another generic type) the generator sound jumped up about 2db, very noticeable.

I haven't noticed a big change but honestly I only run mine while driving between locations to exercise it and/or keep the house cool in high heat situations, we don't do much in the way of bookdocking.

Big test for me will be this summer in Florida, running it while sitting in traffic or parked with the engine running.. If my genset fails that's the scenario.
Old 03-27-2022, 07:29 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foretm View Post
As mentioned earlier, Forest River has a couple parts for the FR3, that are generic and allow the Onan 4K generator to breathe out the side of the door to get fresh air instead of hot air from the chassis engine. I recently ordered the parts from my local camping world and they did not need a VIN number to do it. I simply told them it was for a Forest River FR3 and it was a generic part.

70A09401A (grille) - $58
70A09400A (airbox) - $18

Here they are installed. Since the Onan 4000 is tapered being wider at the bottom than the top, the sides and bottom of the back piece had to be trimmed about 1/2" at the bottom tapering up to 0" at the top. Easy to do with a razorknife, just score and bend. The door was removed and a jigsaw was used to cut the opening. The door is styrofoam on the inside, so I used oversize fender washers on the back of the stainless bolts and nylon nuts. I painted mine white to match the coach, be sure to use a paint/primer combo or prime it first.

I can tell you that the air moving through that opening is significant, and in my case since the generator is right behind the engine, I think its sucking too much hot air and overheating. This should resolve the issue I have which is it shutting down while stationary and both engine and generator running at the same time. Won't know for sure until it gets much hotter, but will update when we get some hot weather.

I hate continuing to bother you, but do have the dimensions of the airbox?
Esqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 06:39 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esqui View Post
The air box is the outside dimensions of the fresh air intake on the side of the generator.
Attached Thumbnails
F5DB12DC-DA55-4696-B582-9BB8BBF52EAB.jpg  
Old 03-28-2022, 07:10 AM   #38

Quote:

I can get you the exact dimensions after work today...
Old 03-28-2022, 04:27 PM   #39

Quote:
These airbox dimensions are approximate as its a bit tough to measure now that its installed. The measurements are from the back side of the RV door, and the edges are rounded, so +/- 1/8" - 3/16. On my installation, I had to trim the bottom of the airbox as the generator is tapered to be larger at the bottom so its closer to the door.

Grille - 12.5" x 9.5"
Airbox - 7.5" x 10.5" x 6"

As you can see, the airbox will more than cover the intake on the generator.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7642.jpg   IMG_7643.jpg  
Old 03-28-2022, 04:41 PM   #40

Thank you so much!
Esqui is offline   Reply With Quote