Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-03-2018, 08:30 AM   #1

Gerard Tankless Water Heater Issues

I have a 2016 Precept 35S and have had issues with the tankless water heater since we bought coach new. We constantly run into problems at different campgrounds and their water pressure not sufficient for the water heater to work. We have discontinued the water filter and done a straight flow and still having issues. One CG it will work fine, the next not at all and we have to run on the pump. Anyone else have this issue and/or found a solution?
Dave Breiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 10:51 AM   #2

Dave, we have the same coach and have experienced the same problems. If we are at a spot with 55PSI the water heater works fairly well (for a Girard). If the pressure is too low I will fill the fresh water tank and use the pump. It also helps to use the pump at each fixture and then go to inlet water. The pump will push all the air out of the lines and the lower than 55 PSI pressure will work OK.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 05:01 PM   #3

Dave, if you do a search you will find lots of discussion on this topic. I experienced the same issues you have and complained enough to Jayco that they finally agreed to replace it with the Truma Comfort model. Now I have hot water all the time every time. When you pay as much $$$ for an RV as a stick and brick home costs it should be reasonable to expect hot water to flow at every faucet within a short time and it should work every time. It’s not new technology. Don’t give up until Jayco makes it right. Good luck.
Old 08-04-2018, 06:40 AM   #4

We had the Girard and it does have it's "quirks" and there is definitely a learning curve when it comes to getting satisfactory results from it. And when it is operated in an environment that meets it's rather limited operational parameters, good pressure/flow and average incoming water temperatures, it can and does work well. But when conditions are not optimal, there are a few things we had to do to get the Girard to work at times.

1. Anything below approx. 45# of water pressure or .9 gal/min flow rates due to filters, etc. WILL cause you issues with the burner staying lit in the Girard.
2. Removing all water restrictors in the faucets/showers might help.
3. Running the hot water from more than one faucet/shower may also help increase flow to keep the burner lit. For instance, turn on the hot water in the bathroom sink when showering.
4. Set the hot water temp desired on the control panel and do NOT mix cold water in.
5. Once you start the hot water flowing, do NOT turn it off and on again or you will get the "cold water sandwich" where the rest of the hot water in the line will flush, followed by a period of cold water that flows thru the heater before the burner relights, followed by newly heated water.
6. When all else fails, fill the fresh water tank and use the pump. This may be necessary if the water pressure/flow is too low or even if the source water is too cold for the burner to heat it sufficiently or too hot and the water heater shuts down with an E3 error code on the control panel.

But for us and many others, dealing with all this on a constant basis got old. Then we also had to have ours replaced twice in the first year due to issues. I will say that Girard support was absolutely fantastic in trying anything and everything they could to make sure we were satisfied customers, but at the end of the day, the fuss was just too much to deal with.

So like Rice, we replaced the Girard with a Truma Aqua Go Comfort "on demand" water heater. In my case however, I paid for it out of pocket because we ordered the Girard in the first place instead of it just coming on a unit the dealer ordered so I didn't feel right complaining to Jayco when this was a "self inflicted" wound.

The end results between the Girard and the Truma are night and day and we couldn't be happier. We now basically use our hot water in the RV just like we do at home including mixing as much cold as we want, turning the hot off and on again while showering or doing dishes and even have hot water at a literal "trickle" from the faucets. Although there might be a situation out there that even the Truma can't deal with, I have yet to find one. We just don't think about hot water issues anymore with the Truma. Good Luck.
Old 08-09-2018, 06:38 PM   #5

So, am I hearing you all correctly - the Truma Aqua Go Comfort doesn't waste as much water getting the hot to the faucet?

We boondock a lot, and can't be pouring fresh water straight to the tank waiting for hot water to arrive at the faucet.
crumgater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 07:40 PM   #6

That is correct. The Truma has a small tank (I believe it's about 1/2 liter) that when in comfort mode it keeps the water hot, so you get hot water at the faucet much quicker. Our Precept came with the Truma basic model and we went to their service center in Florida and had it upgraded to the comfort model. We love it.
MikeThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 12:18 PM   #7

Girard tankless - no water flow.

Having an issue with my Girard in a 2014 Precept 31UL. With no pressure regulator and no water filter I get good cold water pressure and flow. Initially turning on the hot the flow is good but quickly decreases to a trickle.
There is a 2-3" brass fitting in the line where the water comes into the heater. Attached is a small black plastic unit with two wires. I took a wrench and tapped the brass unit and it made a click and the water started flowing.
Unit is now working?
Anyone know what that brass inline adapter is?
thanks,
Fred
saarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 01:31 PM   #8

Truma Comfort

Have your dealer look at it several times so that you have documentation of the problem ( even though they know that it is junk ) and Jayco will replace it under warranty - we love our Truma Comfort and yes it gets hot water faster and no hot/cold surprised as with the Girard Les

Les & Sandy
2016 Seneca HJ - Scangauge D - Truma Comfort
560 watts solar - Blue Sky 3024iL -IPN ProRemote - Trojan T-105RE
Good Sam Life Member - FMCA Member - Passport America
Les7h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 04:08 PM   #9

Fred,

I am assuming you have a Gen 1 or 2 Girard? Anyway, looking at one of the online manuals, it appears what your talking about is a flow sensor/solenoid valve. See page 7/9 of this manual.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/12...38916666812149
Old 08-12-2018, 09:22 PM   #10

Thanks,
Looks like that is what it is. I assume it is supposed to detect the flow of water.
However, the inside of mine must have stuck in a position to restrict the flow of water.
I came home from Florida in April and blew out all the water lines but did not add any antifreeze. Am just using the unit now, Maybe this allowed the unit to corrode? Just a guess.
Suppose I should contact Girard and get new part. Does not look like fun to replace so maybe keep it for a spare. I don't feel the one in the unit now will work forever.
Fred
saarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 08:05 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by saarf View Post
Thanks,
Looks like that is what it is. I assume it is supposed to detect the flow of water.
However, the inside of mine must have stuck in a position to restrict the flow of water.
I came home from Florida in April and blew out all the water lines but did not add any antifreeze. Am just using the unit now, Maybe this allowed the unit to corrode? Just a guess.
Suppose I should contact Girard and get new part. Does not look like fun to replace so maybe keep it for a spare. I don't feel the one in the unit now will work forever.
Fred
in my experiences with Girard, they have been absolutely fantastic to work with. Good Luck!