Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-25-2018, 10:50 AM   #1

Grill Hookup

I have a 2018 Alante 31V that has a quick disconnect at the main LP tank for a grill hook-up. I have the grill and the extended hose attachment. Does the connection at the tank have a valve that needs to be turned on? Is there a switch to activate the gas flow? Is it live with gas whenever the main valve is on? The line seems to go behind the tank then into the coach. I see no valve other than the one at the tank to turn the gas on/off into the regulator then into the coach. I have read the manual front to back and there is no reference to the quick disconnect gas attachment. I am new to RVing and picked up my unit in December fully winterized and will be un-winterizing to take our initial shake down trip in two weeks.
HJ Rosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 10:52 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ Rosch View Post
I have a 2018 Alante 31V that has a quick disconnect at the main LP tank for a grill hook-up. I have the grill and the extended hose attachment. Does the connection at the tank have a valve that needs to be turned on? Is there a switch to activate the gas flow? Is it live with gas whenever the main valve is on? The line seems to go behind the tank then into the coach. I see no valve other than the one at the tank to turn the gas on/off into the regulator then into the coach. I have read the manual front to back and there is no reference to the quick disconnect gas attachment. I am new to RVing and picked up my unit in December fully winterized and will be un-winterizing to take our initial shake down trip in two weeks.
Usually there's a small lever right at the disconnect to turn it on. If you don't see one then I'd say that in your scenario as long as the tank is on you'd have gas at the QD connection.

JeremyFr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 12:17 PM   #3

Ours is as Jeremy says. Lever cutoff is behind where the quick disconnect is. Also it's possible the grill won't work correctly if you have a regulator on the grill and are running propane through it. The coach has a regulator on it and the gas pressure might be to low if running through two regulators.
1955farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 12:36 PM   #4

Ours has a 1/4” NPT ball valve just ahead of the quick connect. Be advised it is regulated gas, so if your BBQ has a regulator you will need to get rid of it, or you’ll end up with a tiny flame.
Old 03-25-2018, 04:05 PM   #5

Thanks, I will double check for a valve.
Old 03-26-2018, 04:49 PM   #6

Yup, checked today and there is the smallest ball valve ever tucked in behind the quick disconnect bracket. Would not have found it without your help. Thanks!!
Old 03-26-2018, 06:20 PM   #7

We have the same rig, and was wondering what grill you have, we just started looking for one.
Old 03-26-2018, 07:28 PM   #8

I bought the Coleman Road Trip LXE and the Wheeled Carry Case. Ordered them from Amazon but watch the pricing they will range from $120 - $186 mostly based on the color. I purchased a 12' quick disconnect gas line from Camping World where I could be sure the connections were right. It is relatively large but fits in the front part of one of the pass through storage areas.
Old 03-27-2018, 07:17 AM   #9

Quote:
I bought the Coleman Road Trip LXE and the Wheeled Carry Case. Ordered them from Amazon but watch the pricing they will range from $120 - $186 mostly based on the color. I purchased a 12' quick disconnect gas line from Camping World where I could be sure the connections were right. It is relatively large but fits in the front part of one of the pass through storage areas.
Coleman has a tricky connection point to do the conversion. Check out you tube or ebay for complete conversion kits or parts lists. You cannot connect a quick connect hose out of the box to it. I had one years ago and had to adapt to get past the brass sticking out of the back of the unit, unless they changed something.

Also you cannot use a 1# bottle conversion off your quick connect hose to adapt to the regulator or you will have double regulation and no flame. Made that mistake too .

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 02:43 PM   #10

Thanks for that input on the connecting hose. I did get the one that simply screws into the bottle fitting on the grill before the supplied regulator. This is a one piece part that attaches to the grill with the regulator. Am I to assume then that the quick disconnect on my RV is AFTER the main regulator?
Old 03-27-2018, 05:09 PM   #11

The quick disconnect is after the RV regulator. You do not want another regulator as others have said. We have the camp chef Big Grill X2. It has detachable legs, a closed BBQ, an open grill, and a reversible griddle. It's great but we use it when we set up for several days not when on the move.

hawkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 07:43 AM   #12

Quote:
Am I to assume then that the quick disconnect on my RV is AFTER the main regulator?
Yes.
You will be double regulated as a result and have little to no BTU's. That brass fitting with the rigid tube and regulator cannot be used with the quick connect hose from the trailer. You need to fabricate something from the grill directly to the hose to make it work right. Just do a search for Coleman quick connect hose mod.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 09:46 AM   #13

Make sure your grill is completely shut off. Or like us next morning we drained the whole tank empty. Only did that once lol!
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 02:08 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreinv View Post
Make sure your grill is completely shut off. Or like us next morning we drained the whole tank empty. Only did that once lol!
Good advice. We even cycle the lever at the quick connect to off when not using grill even though it stays connected.

hawkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 04:45 PM   #15

Be sure there is no gas regulator on the grill, I made that mistake and all I got was a tiny flame. Seems you can't regulate the gas pressure twice. After removing the regulator on the grill it worked fine, the gas is low pressure at the quick connect on the Alante as it is post regulator.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 08:17 PM   #16

Figured it out, many thanks

I searched for info on connecting my Roadtrip grill to my on board LP tank and found several videos on "how to". They were great and with about $10 worth of brass fittings I was able to eliminate the Coleman regulator and hook the LP tank to my grill. One more thing off my checklist! I will post a separate inquiry with two more questions. Thanks everyone.