Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-16-2017, 02:39 PM   #21

My plan is to wrap eternabond tape, perhaps two layers, from the lower edge radius and out at least 3 inches to provide some inpact absorption. My feeling is that it can handle pea sized hail no problem, but marble or walnut sized is a different matter. Any bigger than that then the skylight and vents would get taken out as well. I can't tell from the op picture if the skylight/vents are fully intact but they appear to be. Is there damage in the middle of that picture as well? I can't tell.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 10:12 AM   #22

Fiberglass roof damage

Hello

I too damaged my roof on our 2016 Jayco Greyhawk. I hit a branch which cracked the curved portion of the roof where it meets the side panel (very flimsy). I took it to the dealer and they put eternabond on the crack. It looks like crap! I tried contacting Jayco to see if they have any other way of fixing it more "permanently". Maybe a curves piece of the roof material that can be bonded to the cracked portion? It really bugs me especially since it's a new MH! Any help would be greatly appreciated!
tradmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 12:07 PM   #23

When I look at what would be a helpful repair, it would mean releasing the lower support strip from the edge of the fiberglass. Allow the fiberglass sheet to flair up, then place a piece of modeling clay in that filet recess, then gently temporarily refold the fiberglass sheet to it original position, then release it back up. The clay will then give you the shape/ contour of the filet you need. Once you have the shape, then it can be fabricated from wood or some other material. It might also be possible to use some type of material in there that you could fold over and it would set up in that shape permanently; similar to auto body filler. To be fair to Jayco, the roof is good, but it has a vulnerability. What I think happened was when they switched from the flexible roof to the fiberglass, they didn't think they needed to incorporate a design change to the roof/sidewall interface. This change would of necessitated some expensive re-engineering and equipment changes for them so they stuck with what they had.
Eternabond tape comes in many widths and lengths. My own plan is to wrap Eternabond from the lower edge of the support and up and over the filet area and do this the entire length of the coach. I don't think it would be absolute protection, but I think it would give a modicum of impact resistance to lessen the marble hitting a soda cracker effect. If I need to get more drastic down the road I will. I don't think it will look too bad if the tape is applied properly and evenly the full length of the coach on both sides. I would be interested in hearing ideas from others on how they might deal with that filet area.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote