Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-01-2016, 04:29 PM   #21

steering stabilizer

I just ordered a steering stabilizer from Safe-T-Plus ,they said I needed the model 41-140 with installation kit f-53k-2.5 This did not match their chart but they said the unit being at 28 ' with the wheel size and weight the 41-140 would be the one and the 41-180 may put more strain on the gear box then is needed .
So I will see as we are planning a long trip latter this month as long as Camping World gets the leveling system fixed and some other issues .
Milo
mgr2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 08:59 PM   #22

I find it intriguing to hear about the extreme variability in handling that different Jayco class A gas motorhomes demonstrate. I have read comments from some of the 18,000 lb F53 Precept 31UL owners having significant handling difficulties in stock trim. Now Jayco offers the 2017 31UL with a 22K lb chassis, I suspect because of those issues. On the other hand, my now discontinued 2015 Precept 29UM on the same 18K F53 drives live a dream in stock trim. I have done nothing to it. It is stable as a rock. I have driven in some pretty bad, windy storms, too. I haven't read a single positive comment about the 16K F53 chassis that the shorter Alante is built on. I surmise that different floor plans result in quite different weight distributions which may positively or negatively impact handling. Wouldn't mind hearing more on the subject from well-informed engineer types.
Cycledoc675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 05:01 PM   #23

I also have a 2017 26 X Alante and it does not handle very well. I asked my local repair shop to put on a steering stabilized and he did. It is a Bilstein 24067355. I did not say anything to the guy but I do not think it is the right size for my 26X. He say it will help but actual it does little to help the handling problem. If anyone knows of a Bilstein chart that can help me figure out what is right and what is not I sure would appreciate seeing one. We do not travel the interstate highways a whole lot but prefer to see the country sides. I like a few others here have driven some mighty big rigs that handled 100% better than this Jayco. I am surprised that there is not a lawsuit against Jayco for putting something like this on the road.
Deerlope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 05:15 PM   #24

I experienced the same white knuckle excitement on our recently purchased Alante 26x. Fought the wind and semi's all the way home., even at 55 mph. After loading the coach with gear and supplies for a week and filling the fresh water tank, I was a bit more comfortable with it after a 1400 mi road trip. I noticed that any slight steering input followed by a subtle correction will get the whole rig swerving and it gets worse if you try to compensate. By the end of the trip I was cruising comfortably at 65-70 and was a lot more relaxed behind the wheel. Seems like the J ride should include the hd sway bars. Fellow campers assured me they are all fighting the wind and truck draft.
Highwayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 05:24 PM   #25

We have added front and rear trac bars and sway bars and wouldn't know the wind was blowing unless we opened a window or a passing truck until we see it.
The front sway bar eliminated that particular issue.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 06:36 PM   #26

I had the tiger trac from Blue Ox installed in the back and the safe t plus installed on the front. It helped allot but took allot of driving I get used to be tossed about. It is still bad enough my wife still won't drive it so I will definately be trading it in for something she can drive and doesn't beat you up going down the road. I sure wish I could have driven it before I bought it I would have never bought it.
RockButt is offline   Reply With Quote