Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-30-2016, 10:31 AM   #1

Handling Help Needed on my 2016 Alante 26x

My wife and I went to the Jayco Dealer (Spring 2016) to consider a slightly used Class C. The Alante 26x caught our eye for not much more money. We ended up trading in our 2008 Jayco Designer 35RLTS fifth wheel against it. I had no idea I could have taken the Class A for a test drive and thought I needed a special endorsement on my license. Needless to say, that was our biggest mistake! Being able to get into a Class A vehicle was within grasp. We pulled the trigger and made the move. We knew it was a great deal smaller but figured pulling a vehicle would put us about where we needed to be (from a length perspective). The drive home was horrible! We wanted to bring it back. The 1.25 hour drive normal drive home took over 2.0 hours and I could barely get it to 50 mph without being tossed about. When I was too close to a passing semi, I found the draft to suck you in and if you were towards the right side (of the right lane) then it would push you. My wife was getting sick and wanted to pull over. I didn't want to stop until I could be done! You could predict the larger vehicles and would counter-steer and get this wobble sensation going that made you brake until you gained control but the virtual gusts from no where with no vehicles around I could only figure was unlevel ground. I could barely get to 55 mph without losing control of the vehicle.
I did a little more research on this J-Ride thing and sent my VIN to Jayco in Indiana and they said I got the full package with the Bilstein shocks and sway bars and read more to find the this J-Ride package was the ultimate riding experience they taunted; but this is not what I bought into.
Both the cab AC and the overhead AC needed repair also but the dealer is rectifying that. I also found out that my daughter (indeed) could not watch TV going down the road because there was no inverter. Dealer is looking into this also so I can't complain here other then I was told one thing and the delivery was quite something else.
Apparently, in 2015 the Precor took on a new suspension upgrade and the Alante's took on the old Precor chassis. I went to another dealer store and drove a 2015 Precor which was still on the F53 chassis and had it up to 70mph in the rain with one hand and no issues so I knew it wasn't my imagination.
We are still working through the details but it appears that it is going to be my expense fixing the handling of the motor home so my wife will at least ride in it, let alone maybe one day drive it. I've read a ton of issues with the F53 from a handling perspective and found out also that Jayco does a tire alignment on the chassis before they put the camper on it. Not sure what value that would bring but when you add hundreds of pounds, I'm guessing there wouldn't be a ton of value. Fortunately, one alignment is covered in Jayco's 2 year warranty so that will be done next week.
I am asking the veteran RV'ers out there what the number one upgrade would be to fix this monster so I can keep control of the MH going down the road. Right now, I am leaning towards the Blue Ox True Trac product for the rear end. Any recommendations would be appreciated. I'm hoping the installation of whatever product I have to buy is something that I can do myself.
I'm afraid this MH is so new, it wasn't easy finding information good or bad on it.
This is going to be a very expensive boat anchor if I don't find something. Thanks again
RockButt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 11:19 AM   #2

The front end alignment done at a reputable truck shop should take care of it.
Old 07-30-2016, 11:20 AM   #3

There is a posting from deerlope I think I spelled his name right but I am on it to mgralante2016. We purchased a new one same model as yours a 2016 this past June and also have several issues that are waiting to get fixed so we can use the unit .
Be happy to share fixes and problems etc with you anytime . I have not yet driven it enough to talk to your problem but the post I mentioned does address it ,
Milo
milo.lenette@gmail.com
478-319-7376 in GA.
mgr2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 11:27 AM   #4

Same experience with my 2016 Alante 25AY. I was amazed at the lack of driveability. I am close to the Roadmaster headquarters and production facility, so I went to them for their front sway bar (replacement with larger) and rear sway bar add on. Also added the Roadmaster RSS steering system. Cost for all was $2414 installed. The driveability is greatly improved. The safe-t-plus steering system seems more popular than Roadmaster's RSS, so that would be worth your consideration if you choose to go this route.An RV will always be an RV, but improvements can help a lot. Hope this is some help for you and good luck with your decision.
brushbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 11:57 AM   #5

Suspension upgrades include: CHF, Bilstein Comfitrac shocks which are specifically tuned for the F53 chassis, trac bars front and rear, sway bars front and rear, Safe-T-Plus, and for the final touch add Sumo Springs front and rear.

The CHF (Cheap Handling Fix) if applicable should be first on the list.
Adding other components until ride comfort is met is a personal choice.

This link has some of the needed information to get started; http://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/cheap...fix-72335.html

Some people say the F53 chassis is also much better when traveling with a full fresh water tank.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 12:10 PM   #6

Thanks Don, I am anxious to see the results.
Old 07-30-2016, 12:14 PM   #7

Thanks Milo, just sent you an email.
Old 07-30-2016, 12:18 PM   #8

Brushbuster, I'd love to hear how you rate the vehicle now that you've had all of the improvements done to it. Perhaps a rating 1-10 with 10 being the best ride when you bought it and what some of the upgrades gave you. I was hoping another thousand out of pocket for upgrades, I simply couldn't swing that investment right now with the rig being less than 2 months old. I do appreciate the info and thank you very much.
Old 07-30-2016, 12:22 PM   #9

Thanks Abarkl,

Sounds like you've put quite a bit of an investment into your rig after the fact. I did read about the cheap fix and appreciate you sharing that info. I wondered if Jayco would void the warranty if the change was made. I do however have my MH mechanic's attention since it is still at the dealer so maybe I'll shoot him the link and see if this is a good option. Thanks again
Old 07-30-2016, 03:07 PM   #10

All great advice!

I would add to check your tire pressures, mine varied by 30psi which I wouldn't have thought leaving the dealer. You may want to run those pressures up to decrease side wall flex.

Best of luck!

Steve
StevL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 03:33 PM   #11

Great point! You make assumptions being brand new that this would be common practice but my assumptions are quickly fleeting. I will check when I get it back home.
Old 07-30-2016, 07:01 PM   #12

There is a lot of info out there, I run 90lbs all the way around, still tweaking but this changed the handling from my 30lb difference (lowest 70 to highest 100).

Steve
Old 07-30-2016, 07:06 PM   #13

On my 31ul I find about a 93psi seems to work well for handling.
Arniesports60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 10:06 PM   #14

Wow, good to know, thanks Steve
Old 07-31-2016, 09:34 AM   #15

Sir, to answer your question regarding rating my ride quality before and after installation of Roadmaster sway bars and steering stabilizer. I would say my ride was a 3 on the 1-10 scale before installation and a 6 or 7 afterwards. Very noticeable for sure.

To clarify a typo from my first reply, my unit is an 2016 Alante 26AY.
brushbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 05:45 PM   #16

Great to know. Thanks so much for the information.
Old 08-01-2016, 09:26 AM   #17

We have a '16 Precept 31UL and while you have to understand that any large vehicle isn't going to handle like a car, we wanted better handling so we had the Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer installed and it made a significant improvement. Might want to start with that.
nolosrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 10:10 AM   #18

I certainly appreciate the fact that it is not a car. I've driven many large vehicles in my life and am referring to the loss of control you experience in the Alante trying to go north of 50mph. It's going to take money out of my pocket since Jayco isn't fixing the problem I just want to figure out the best single one thing to buy. Thanks for the info on the steering stabilizer many have said this has helped greatly. I appreciate the feedback.
Old 08-01-2016, 01:01 PM   #19

I too added a safe t plus stabilizer to our 31ul, I did it for two reasons.
To add stability and safety should a front tire blow,
to help with overall handling.

I have read many times for handling the rear trac bar is the largest improvement, I personally have no experience with one.

I was not thrilled driving over 60 mph coming home. After increasing tire pressure and adding the safe t plus I now drive 65 without a thought. I sometimes catch myself keeping up with traffic at 70 and a couple, then I slow her back down. My ideal is 63 to 65.

I will also say that having a couple thousand mile experience has also helped a lot!

Steve
Old 08-01-2016, 01:07 PM   #20

Thanks Steve. I have heard much of the same also that the overhang or rear of the vehicle is where you start and the steering stabilizer is only for returning your wheels to center and helps with control I the event of a front wheel blow out. Good to hear your experience was a positive one with just the front stabilizer. Thanks for the info.