Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-17-2018, 12:17 PM   #1

Smile Happy days !

Having read numerous negative comments concerning the Precept and Alante motor vehicules I’ m wondering if it’s possible to get some positive feedback on these models since we will be receiving ours next week. I understand there can be problems but we intend to go through an exhaustive check list before taking possession of the vehicule. Are all these clients so dissatisfied that they are not enjoying the vehicule at all.
Road125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 01:02 PM   #2

We love our Precept!! We are on our 2nd year with our coach and although there have been a few issues (most that I have taken care of myself), and are still waiting on a few warranty items, mainly a leaky hydraulic pump, the Precept has been a very good motorhome for us. We are not yet full time as we are waiting for wife to retire in 1 more year. We are not sure if we will full time or just be snow birds. Still pondering that. Anyway, we truly love our Precept and think that for the $ we paid we are getting a lot of bang for our buck. We just returned from a week in Lake George, NY and Saratoga Springs and there were zero issues. Everything worked as it should. Our next trip will be in 1 week to Maine with stops in Old Orchard Beach and Bar Harbor. Really looking forward to that. When you pick up your coach, go through all the systems, especially the leveling system. Mine had to be re-zeroed after we left dealer. (one of the things I took care of myself). Look under the sink cabinets with water running. I had several loose fittings that were dripping water. I also had the macerator hose fail just recently and Thetford sent me a new one that I installed. All in all like I said our Precept has been excellent to us. Enjoy your new coach, have fun and safe travels!

2017 Precept 35S
2021 Jeep Wrangler toad
Roadmaster Nighthawk tow bar RviBrake3
GMA385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 07:04 PM   #3

Overall I'm just starting to enjoy my 2018 Precept 35S Class A. It's taken me a year to get the handling in a good place, and all the other improvements I've made to make it operate the way I want. After my warranty issues I should be set for a while.

FYI, I've been at this for 40 years this year, and this was my 8th driveable RV...started with one van camper, then 5 Class Cs all purchased new, then a 2005 Bounder Class A purchased in 2007 used, and now the Precept purchased new in July 2017.

I do reside in the rig in Florida for a few months in the winter, next winter will be my second go at the snowbird thing.
GerryB54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 10:51 AM   #4

Wink Good times!

Just wanted to briefly chime in on your question. And yes, we too love our 2016 31UL. We love the layout and ability to travel at our leisure to beautiful and/or historic places here in the West. Like most folks that own a RV, we've had a few issues and needed to put on a super steer rear trac bar to firm up our ride. But, we have had more good times and adventures by far that out-weigh the problems. Just returned from a six week summer trip and can't wait to get back out there. Good luck with your Precept and hopefully many "Happy Days" ahead.
megalucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 09:24 AM   #5

We have the 2018 Alante 31P and really enjoy it. Build quality is a lot better than competitors in same price range. Did the CHF and rear track bar myself in our side yard. Original handling was bouncy and rock and rolls but these fixes and playing with tire pressure cured that. Been to the Grand Canyon and Sedona in Az. Recently did Panguitch Lake in Utah and learned how to use the TowHaul button on the steering column. Also learned to ignore 80MPH speed limit on I 80 and keep it between 60-65. A few minor issues but nothing any different than any House you live in has. Rear Air doesn’t work but it is going in for warranty work in a few days. DW loves to get out and about in it. Says we should have bought one a longtime ago instead of buying timeshares. Just take your time and enjoy you RV.
Dish Wally
longleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 09:36 AM   #6

good for you. have lots of fun!!!
Steve1152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 09:47 AM   #7

We are coming up on 2 years with our 2016 Alante 31v and really like it. As others have said, there have been issues - most of them minor that were easily fixed but all covered under warranty. We plan to full time in 3 or 4 years in this rig since the floor plan is exactly what we want and we installed additional house batteries and solar panels to allow us to boondock for days at a time!
Old 08-19-2018, 12:53 PM   #8

We have traveled three round-trip coast-to-coasters in the last two years and over 31,000 miles in our 2016 Alante 26. The Alante for us was a starter RV, and we felt it was something we could beat up a bit and experiment with in our rookie season(s) without breaking the bank. We have had LOTS of problems, some of them recurring, but we learned something new from every single one of them. We probably shopped and agonized and analyzed ratings, for 2-3 years before we pulled the trigger on the Alante purchase, and I think our decision on make and model would be the same today. That said, for sure I would do one thing differently: I would spend a lot more time researching the right dealer, focusing on service department ratings and the quality of their dealer-prep processes. This was a horrible failure in our case, a mistake I will not make again.
Michael Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 01:48 PM   #9

We are on our first year with our new 2017 Alante 31 V. Only had a few issues most that we fixed ourselves. We did have the dealer install steering stabilizer, and did the CHF front and rear. It made all the difference in the world at reducing the rock and roll we had driving from North Carolina to Texas. A little over 6000 miles and leaving next week for 5000 plus mile trip to west coast. This is our third class A and after down sizing from DP we still enjoy it. It doesn't matter what RV you have it will require good PM. In MHO if you are not ready to fix some things along the way, your not ready for an RV. Safe travels and many happy trails to you.
KenAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 04:15 AM   #10

Congrats on your new purchase, and before I give my feedback I'd like you to consider this..... Many people come here to resolve issues and inform others, so simply by the nature of the use of the board you will see more negative comments than positive. Also, while the negative comments can seem overwhelming they are not really in good context here because, well, see above.

I own a 2018 Alante 31R. We purchased it in September of 2017 so its coming up on a year. In terms of factory misses, I have had to caulk the shower, replace the heater hoses, and re-secure the guide rails for the overhead bunk. I also replaced a mirror, but anyone who hits tollbooth would so thats not really a Jayco problem. I've also added a Roadmaster Steering Stabilizer, but other than that its stock in components and configuration (i.e. no CHF). I do plan to add Sumo Springs this winter, but nothing beyond that in terms of handling mods.

So in one year I've had to make three minor fixes that could've been addressed by better quality control. Will I experience any more? Maybe. However, in my opinion, this is one of the better RVs at this price point in the market. We have been RVing for 20 years now and I have had experience with several brands. We came back to Jayco last year for a reason - the relative quality and excellent customer service. Don't take the "relative" comment negatively either. The RV manufacturing industry is not known for its high quality standards and they crank these units out at lightning speed - there are bad ones. All in all, for my money, Jayco is a quality product within their market space.

You will have issues, everyone does. Even under warranty I would suggest you consider fixing minor ones yourself as you'll likely perform a higher quality fix than you would get somewhere else. Don't stress, especially if you've already purchased. These boards are here to inform and help folks work out issues, not to provide positive press and marketing. I'm certain you will have a ton of fun and make loads of great memories.

Congrats again on your purchase!

cfisher523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 04:26 PM   #11

Thanks to all for the time you spend to reply. We receive the phone call fron the dealer this morning and the MH is arrived. We went there this afternoon to see it and we are very happy. Some minor changes inside, the top of the oven is change, the sink is under the counter and a leveling system with bluetooth compatibility with the iphone or android phone
Road125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 06:22 PM   #12

Like most forums you usually see more negativity than positivity. We are on our second year nearing the end of the 24 month warranty period.

Had a few minor problems, some I corrected and some by the dealer. I can't complain though, the 35S has been pretty solid. The only remaining issue it has is no signal from the roof top King jack antenna, been that way from 3 months into ownership, dealer gets it fixed temporarily but 30 minutes on the road and signal goes away. My final warranty visit I'm requesting the coaxial cable be removed.

Installed a steering stabilizer, made a major improvement in wandering front end on interstates. I just completed the front end CHF 2 weeks ago and will finish the rear CHF before we head for OBX next month.

Looked at similar Tiffens and for the difference in $ I'm happy with Jayco and the Precept. Jayco Customer Service has been excellent for me, sending parts when requested.
Old 09-06-2018, 09:00 PM   #13

2018 Precept 35S with 3K miles between purchase in mid-April and beginning of September. Thinking maybe we got a "Wednesday Morning" coach with no hung over or anger-management types on the assembly line that day Only issues have been an outside refrigerator hatch cover that blew off somewhere on the trip home from the dealer and the need to occasionally wiggle the little wire at the right edge of the bottom inside step for the outside steps to deploy and retract. Would describe handling as "not bad" when we bought it and AWESOME with the addition of Koni shocks, Sumo Springs and Blue Ox steering stabilizer.

You posted on 8/17 you were picking up your coach in about a week, so - what are your impressions so far?
BobAndKarenNy is offline   Reply With Quote