Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-27-2015, 04:10 PM   #1

Hard to open sliding screen window

Recently returned from a trip which took us through and around Chicago(colossal nightmare!!!). There were lots of toll booths. I had a horrible time opening the drivers side screen to pay tolls and nearly broke the screen frame. Finally I removed it completely so I wouldn't have to mess with it an damage it. I tried lubricating the tracks with soap and WD40. Neither helped. Suggestions?
Old 07-27-2015, 04:36 PM   #2

Hmm. On mine, if I open the window then push the screen to slide it, it slides fine. It doesn't slide closed as easy but shuts fine if I use the window portion to close both. But you have already removed the screen and the window will no longer easily close? Or it won't slide properly now that you have tried to reinstall the screen?
Old 07-27-2015, 05:24 PM   #3

The window opens and closes fine. It's the screen that's the problem. It is too tight in the tracks. When I try to open or close it the whole frame distorts and the lower back corner of the frame is loosening at its joint from all the bending/flexing. There are two bowed tension springs at the top of the frame. They look like little leaf springs. I think they are holding the frame in too tightly. If I can take some of the tension off, maybe that will help.
chuckandcindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 06:00 PM   #4

Chuck have you checked the channel is bent or the screen frame being bent? Try installing the screen with the springs down. If you can acquire a piece of screen frame you can slide it in the channels to see if you have a spot that binds then you have an area to attack. Non of this is much help but it does not take much to cause the problem you are seeing.
Old skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 07:21 PM   #5

Thanks Skipper. I'll take a close look at the track and the screen frame. I haven't had to open the passenger side screen. I should take a look at that one. Putting it in the drivers side would be the same as putting the drivers side screen in backwards. But that will also make it hard to open the screen since the inside of the frame is the grasping point to pull the screen open and it is lost if the screen is put in reverse position. I'll probably end up taking it back to the dealer and ask for new screens.
Old 07-27-2015, 07:27 PM   #6

At one toll booth I couldn't budge the screen open so I had to exit the Precept and walk around to the booth. The guy behind me must have thought I was having a Chinese fire drill!! Anyway, I'd be happy to hear more suggestions if you all have any. Perhaps a good idea would be a small sliding or hinged door at the toll collectors eye level rather than having to reach down so far.
Old 07-27-2015, 07:47 PM   #7

My window and screen are very difficult to open and close. I will end up breaking the screen very soon I'm afraid.
Jacobsnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 08:06 PM   #8

Yes Jacob that will happen. Seems Jayco should be willing to do something about it. I have a service scheduled for a leak in my leveler hydrolics in a couple weeks. I have already alerted them to the problem. They told me they'll see what can be done about the screen.