Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-19-2018, 04:48 PM   #1

Help Dewinterizing 2018 Jayco Alante

All,

I need some help. I traded in our Coachmen Freelander after one year and bought a brand new 2018 Jayco Alante 31R. We purchased right after Thanksgiving and we live in a cold climate so it was already winterized. We are now getting ready to head to Florida and need to de-winterize it this weekend. The owners manual doesn’t say how to do this and I don’t remember what the dealer said. The dealer is two hours away and not a convenient place for us to stop on our trip. I am under the impression you do not need to mess with a hot water heater bypass because their new water system control panel allows you to do this from there. I am unsure what pattern the knobs which control the water should be in to flush out the antifreeze. Can anyone help me?

The Homey 13
The Homey 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 05:44 PM   #2

Homey, if you are on city water, turn the dials for that and just open the faucets til you get clear water. If running from on board water tank, fill it with fresh water, turn on water pump, turn knobs to normal and run faucets to get clear water.
Not sure about new water heater.

hawkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 08:34 PM   #3

Dewinterize

Hawkster,

Do you think I need to flush out the fresh tank too? Is there antifreeze in there? I know these are very beginner questions but last year I had my other RV dewinterized at the local dealer where I had bought the Freelander. I don’t trust them to do my new Jayco since they aren’t a Jayco dealer.
The Homey 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 06:32 AM   #4

Homey, there should be no anti freeze in the fresh tank. It's a good idea to sanitize it with bleach or another solution since it can be the source of drinking water or ice cubes. There's a how to in your manual that shows how to do it.

When I answered above I didn't know if you are using city water or fresh tank water and also the precepts have different dials in the water compartment between years or models. That's why my answer was generic.

Old 03-21-2018, 10:56 PM   #5

Ya, de winterizing is pretty easy really, just run water till you dont see pink stuff anymore. If you would like to sanitize your pipes you will want to use some bleach inside of your freshwater tank and fill it with water (just google how to do that for correct ratio for your size tank.) And then run some water through all of your faucets, then when you can smell some bleach just close up the faucets and let it sit for a few hours. Make sure to EMPTY all of that bleach water out of the tank (run the pump and open faucets again till empty) and then fill tank up again with fresh water for a rinse. After you are done emptying the rinse water you should be fine for the camping season. You will need to supervise the whole time especially if your freshwater tank is larger than your gray tank, or just be hooked up to a drain with gray open. You also want to be there for when your tank goes empty so you can turn off water pump so you don't burn it out.
LandTAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 05:54 AM   #6

I actually do an abbreviated dump. When I have let bleach water sit in tank and run a little thru all the water lines for a few hours, I just open the low point fresh water tank valve and dump it. My mh is at my house so no problem. Then the first few days we drink bottled water just because the water lines may leave a residual bleach smell. I don't have to mess with gray tank filling either.

But I must say I rarely boondock or use the fresh water tank.

Old 03-23-2018, 01:53 PM   #7

Use 1/4 cup of household bleach for every 15 gallons of fresh water tank capacity to sanitize. Run every faucet until you smell bleach, turn off and let stand 24 hours, drain fresh tank and refill with clean water and run taps until no bleach smell, flush and refill tank... done.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote