Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-18-2016, 10:14 AM   #1

Help set our expectations . . . .

We have never owned a motorhome before, but we took delivery of our first, a 2016 Jayco Alante 26, on Memorial Day weekend. We just returned from a round trip to North Carolina from California, and we need advice from you pros out there. We have experienced the following issues and need to know if these things are normal or should we be concerned, whether with the dealer, the coach or both:

On delivery:
  1. The 2nd ignition key was missing;
  2. The TV remotes (3) were missing;
  3. Several manuals were missing;
  4. The dealer installed satellite TV was not functional;
  5. The wallpaper was bubbled and baggy, and there was a nail point sticking through the wall over the kitchen sink;
  6. The walk-through was perfunctory and useless, mostly consisting of our waiting around for them to find things;
  7. Driver's side window very stiff and hard to open. Was told it would loosen up. Turns out (after taking it to an East Coast dealer) that the window frame was out of square, and needed to be replaced (all we were doing was bunching up the felt in the track, when trying to open it);
Maiden trip to the East Coast and back:
  1. First 100 miles, the console entertainment and back-up screen failed (fixed by East Coast dealer -- loose connections);
  2. Still no AM radio reception, and FM channels limited;
  3. Persistent shower pan leak (caulked by East Coast dealer);
  4. A/C conduit collapsed over the gas pedal, fought with that for 3000 miles (fixed by East Coast dealer);
  5. Wiring bundles under console over drivers left foot collapsed, fought with that for 2500 miles (fixed by East Coast dealer);
  6. The mounting clip for the hands free microphone on the steering column broke, leaving dangling wire amidst feet (fixed by East Coast dealer);
  7. Driver's seat only partially bolted down, found bolts under and next to seat (secured by East Coast dealer);
  8. The generator consistently shut down with sustained outside temps over 90 (when we needed it!);
  9. Sensor for retracting steps detached, and we superglued it back twice;
  10. Switch to turn off retracting steps failed;
  11. Auto retraction of steps when ignition goes on fails (a very nice person flagged us down on our way out of an RV park to tell us our steps were down);
  12. Speaker balance, front to rear, cannot be adjusted;
  13. Refrigerator will not cool beyond level one;
  14. The toilet intake connection sprung a leak. Turns out the connector was stripped, probably on installation at the factory, but then someone tried to fix it using plumber's tape (probably the dealer) which is not supposed to be used on that type of fitting (per a service manager in Wyoming);
  15. The leveling jacks console periodically comes alive with lights and alarm for no reason, even in motion;
  16. Bedroom TV does not respond in any mode, broadcast, cable or satellite;
  17. Finally, fortunately on the last day, the water heater went out.
So what should our expectations be? To all you folks out there, is this normal or alarming? We need to know how righteously P/O'd we should be, or not, though the trip was a BLAST and figuring out how to deal with all this stuff en route was good experience.

Thanks!
Michael Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 10:49 AM   #2

Sounds to me like your selling dealer's PDI was a complete joke.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 12:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Francois View Post
We have never owned a motorhome before, but we took delivery of our first, a 2016 Jayco Alante 26, on Memorial Day weekend. We just returned from a round trip to North Carolina from California, and we need advice from you pros out there. We have experienced the following issues and need to know if these things are normal or should we be concerned, whether with the dealer, the coach or both:

On delivery:
  1. The 2nd ignition key was missing;
  2. The TV remotes (3) were missing;
  3. Several manuals were missing;
  4. The dealer installed satellite TV was not functional;
  5. The wallpaper was bubbled and baggy, and there was a nail point sticking through the wall over the kitchen sink;
  6. The walk-through was perfunctory and useless, mostly consisting of our waiting around for them to find things;
  7. Driver's side window very stiff and hard to open. Was told it would loosen up. Turns out (after taking it to an East Coast dealer) that the window frame was out of square, and needed to be replaced (all we were doing was bunching up the felt in the track, when trying to open it);
Maiden trip to the East Coast and back:
  1. First 100 miles, the console entertainment and back-up screen failed (fixed by East Coast dealer -- loose connections);
  2. Still no AM radio reception, and FM channels limited;
  3. Persistent shower pan leak (caulked by East Coast dealer);
  4. A/C conduit collapsed over the gas pedal, fought with that for 3000 miles (fixed by East Coast dealer);
  5. Wiring bundles under console over drivers left foot collapsed, fought with that for 2500 miles (fixed by East Coast dealer);
  6. The mounting clip for the hands free microphone on the steering column broke, leaving dangling wire amidst feet (fixed by East Coast dealer);
  7. Driver's seat only partially bolted down, found bolts under and next to seat (secured by East Coast dealer);
  8. The generator consistently shut down with sustained outside temps over 90 (when we needed it!);
  9. Sensor for retracting steps detached, and we superglued it back twice;
  10. Switch to turn off retracting steps failed;
  11. Auto retraction of steps when ignition goes on fails (a very nice person flagged us down on our way out of an RV park to tell us our steps were down);
  12. Speaker balance, front to rear, cannot be adjusted;
  13. Refrigerator will not cool beyond level one;
  14. The toilet intake connection sprung a leak. Turns out the connector was stripped, probably on installation at the factory, but then someone tried to fix it using plumber's tape (probably the dealer) which is not supposed to be used on that type of fitting (per a service manager in Wyoming);
  15. The leveling jacks console periodically comes alive with lights and alarm for no reason, even in motion;
  16. Bedroom TV does not respond in any mode, broadcast, cable or satellite;
  17. Finally, fortunately on the last day, the water heater went out.
So what should our expectations be? To all you folks out there, is this normal or alarming? We need to know how righteously P/O'd we should be, or not, though the trip was a BLAST and figuring out how to deal with all this stuff en route was good experience.

Thanks!
Why jumping on the dealer ? Why ? Who made it ? Who sell it to the dealer ?

Sometimes I wonder if they would be better if made in China...

Ford F 150 Ecoboost Tow Max 3.73 2014

Equalizer hitch 1000/10000
homer1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 01:14 PM   #4

We purchased a 2015 29UM back in February, 2016 and have had a few problems that have been fixed by our dealer already or is scheduled to be fixed after summer season.

Sounds like we're having similar generator problems. What fault code are you getting?

Generator back story if interested...

Since we purchased in Winter and we hadn't used the generator much, mostly just starting it and running as part of monthly maintenance or running it for an hour or while on the road to run the microwave for the family. On one of my maintenance days in the spring, I started up the generator and ran both air conditioners and noticed the generator had stopped while i was driving back to the storage yard. I tried to re-start at a stop light, but it would not start back up. When i got to the storage yard, i noticed i was getting a fault code 36.

I took it to a Cummins service center and they tried to reproduce the issue for two days, running it for several hours with and without the air conditioners running. They were never able to reproduce, so they chocked it up to anomaly. While it was there, i had the generator fully serviced (at 14hrs) figuring it couldn't hurt and it was already there for a week. I continued to use the generator sparingly like before and never had another problem.

Fast forward to Summer and noticed that the generator had once again shut down by itself on our way home from a concert in Eastern Washington with a fault code 36. This time i didn't take it to the service center because we were leaving on a 10 day trip in it to South Dakota in a few days.

Our trip to South Dakota had temperatures in the 90+ almost everyday. During the first few days, the generator wouldn't run longer than many 30 minutes before it shutdown with a fault code 36. I stopped in at the Cummins service center in Billings and they really didn't have any advice other than randomly swapping out parts as fault code 36 is the most generic code the generator can have.

At some point i pulled over and randomly changed to altitude adjustment to it's maximum value of 5000 ft. After doing this, the generator ran for hours while on the road in 90+ temperatures. Of course we were actually at about 5000 ft, but thought this was interesting.

I had read in other threads/forums that some folks fixed this problem by replacing the fuel pump. I may try that as it very accessible and according to the Cummins tech in Billings said it was easy to do.

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 08-18-2016, 01:17 PM   #5

Getting P/O'd wont feel good but addressing each item as you have listed and when everything is done will feel good.

I prefer to fix things myself even under warranty unless parts are needed or it's an official manufacturer's recall campaign.

"8. The generator consistently shut down with sustained outside temps over 90
(when we needed it!);"
Replace the fuel pump.

"15. The leveling jacks console periodically comes alive with lights and alarm for no reason, even in motion;"
Top of the fluid level.

More help on the way...
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 01:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelshim View Post
We purchased a 2015 29UM back in February, 2016 and have had a few problems that have been fixed by our dealer already or is scheduled to be fixed after summer season.

Sounds like we're having similar generator problems. What fault code are you getting?

Generator back story if interested...

Since we purchased in Winter and we hadn't used the generator much, mostly just starting it and running as part of monthly maintenance or running it for an hour or while on the road to run the microwave for the family. On one of my maintenance days in the spring, I started up the generator and ran both air conditioners and noticed the generator had stopped while i was driving back to the storage yard. I tried to re-start at a stop light, but it would not start back up. When i got to the storage yard, i noticed i was getting a fault code 36.

I took it to a Cummins service center and they tried to reproduce the issue for two days, running it for several hours with and without the air conditioners running. They were never able to reproduce, so they chocked it up to anomaly. While it was there, i had the generator fully serviced (at 14hrs) figuring it couldn't hurt and it was already there for a week. I continued to use the generator sparingly like before and never had another problem.

Fast forward to Summer and noticed that the generator had once again shut down by itself on our way home from a concert in Eastern Washington with a fault code 36. This time i didn't take it to the service center because we were leaving on a 10 day trip in it to South Dakota in a few days.

Our trip to South Dakota had temperatures in the 90+ almost everyday. During the first few days, the generator wouldn't run longer than many 30 minutes before it shutdown with a fault code 36. I stopped in at the Cummins service center in Billings and they really didn't have any advice other than randomly swapping out parts as fault code 36 is the most generic code the generator can have.

At some point i pulled over and randomly changed to altitude adjustment to it's maximum value of 5000 ft. After doing this, the generator ran for hours while on the road in 90+ temperatures. Of course we were actually at about 5000 ft, but thought this was interesting.

I had read in other threads/forums that some folks fixed this problem by replacing the fuel pump. I may try that as it very accessible and according to the Cummins tech in Billings said it was easy to do.

Thanks,
Jeff
Replace the fuel pump. Here it is and it takes maybe 15 minutes; https://www.amazon.com/Airtex-E11015.../dp/B0076D5OI2
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 03:20 AM   #7

Michael, you seem like a very reasonable person. Much of what you experienced would have taken most people a year or more to find. I give you a lot of credit for taking such a long trip with a new coach. Mistakes were made by a chain of people including Jayco, the dealer and various manufactures. It sounds like everything is going to get fixed and your trip was not ruined. It also sounds like you met some good people along the way and got some valuable help from the east coast dealer. I think your expectations should be that everything you report will be fixed and covered by your warrantee and that you will continue to have a blast with your motorhome. Travel well
Bob
2015 Equinox, Blue Ox Avanta LX
Bobs A Class is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 04:49 AM   #8
Site Team

It's not even debatable that Jayco quality seems to have taken a hit and the dealers are open for some criticism also.

Jayco appears to have some challenges there.

I would not call it p/o'd but I would be pretty vocal with both dealer and manafacturer, verbally and in writing.

That said, I just can't believe the many who order a camper and make plans to basically pull out of the dealers lot to go on a first camping trip.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 07:01 AM   #9

I have only owned two larger 5th wheels, the most current being purchased new. Test driving and doing initial PDI on our Precept 31UL this morning.

The one thing I learned about RV manufacturers and dealers is that they are nothing like automobile manufacturers and dealers. We were traveling full time in our new fiver and needing simple warranty work done. Just because we pulled into a authorized dealer didn't mean they would get us in and make our warranty repairs. The first thing they like to ask you is "did you buy that here?" You can call, send email, or write letters all you want to the manufacturers and complain about dealers, they don't care. It just seems the manufacturer is thrilled that dealers are willing to take their products and sell them in the first place.

We only had minor issues under the factory warranty, most of which I ended up fixing myself. I know of others with the same year and model of fiver as mine that had much more serious problems, like black tanks falling down and breaking open. Quality and support is just not set very high when it comes to most brands of RV's.
FLHTK-JOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 02:52 PM   #10
WDW

First, as a new MH RV owner I'm sorry your initial experience was this bad. Yes, your expectations should not be compromised by inept, greedy individuals who deliver a shoddy product. Some issues are minor, but still important for the money you spent. Keep good records. Make lots of POLITE noise with the dealer and manufacturers. But most of all, you had a dream about family adventures--- laugh, get it fixed to your liking and set out on your next adventure. Don't let the bums hold you back!

Formerly 31FK 15 Grayhawk
Toad: 2015 Jeep Cherokee "The Caboose".

Taking in the sights wherever my Trolley takes me!
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote