Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-10-2022, 01:15 PM   #1

Help with issues on new Precept 34b

Hey all,

Sorry for the long post, looking for some help on our new rig.
2023 Jayco Precept 34b

Getting ready for our first trip in a couple weeks. This weekend we hooked up our Clearwater system, checking for leaks and just going over everything I could think of. Found the following issues and was looking for some help for maybe simple solutions before I take it in.

First, we have full hookups and dumping at our house. So I hooked up power, water and checked for leaks and all good to go. I waited about an hour or so before I checked for the hot water and when checking, had no hot water anywhere. I checked the breakers below the bed and found the electric water heater breaker appear to be in the off position, so turned it on and waited another hour and still no luck. From what I read, on our main display, it should show electric water heater and gas water heater, but ours only shows gas water heater (See photo #1 & #2). At that time I turned on the gas water heater and within a few minutes had hot water in the Shower, Bathroom but nothing at the Kitchen sink.

I went through every part of the coach I could think of looking for bypass valves and was not able to find any anywhere, not even at the back of the hot water tank. I believe our water control station covers all of that for winter storage (Could be wrong). I double checked to make sure all the knobs were in the correct position and according to the sticker they are (See photo #3 &#4). I then read the manual just to verify and the 2023 manual shows the red knob should be turned to the right, which contradicts what the control sticker says (See photo #5). I have not yet tried turning that valve to the right, just from my lack of knowledge on these newer systems, did not want to break anything.

Last, our LP shows empty with a "Disc" under it, but our tank outside reads full and the cooking range, quick connect grill and hot water heater all work. Just not getting a reading at the main control panel. (Will attach a photo on next reply.)

Again, sorry for such a long post, any help would be greatly appreciated, hoping they are something small I can fix instead of having to take it to the dealership and have them keep it for a month or so =).
Attached Thumbnails
Display.jpg   IMG20221010063945.jpg   Sticker.jpg   Set to.jpg   Manual.jpg  

Inasogard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 01:18 PM   #2

Photo of LP Disc
Attached Thumbnails
LP Disc.jpg  
Old 10-11-2022, 12:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inasogard View Post

#1) From what I read, our main display should show electric water heater and gas water heater, but ours only shows gas water heater.

FIX= At your home screen, go to Floor Plan (Mine showed 34UB), press and hold that button until another screen shows up, make sure the Electric Water Heater button is enabled. Ours wasn't (No update to Firefly, just not checked at dealership)

#2) LP shows empty with a "Disc" under it, but our tank outside reads full and the cooking range, quick connect grill and hot water heater all work. Just not getting a reading at the main control panel.

FIX= Found online that it could possibly be a bad ground connection. Suggested loosening tank and retightening all bolts. I loosened all bolts, found a bit of rust underneath them, cleaned up, retightened and works just fine.
Hope this helps anyone in the future who might have the same issues.
Old 10-11-2022, 03:16 PM   #4

Glad you resolved your issues...was hoping someone with the same model as yours would respond, but I guess no one knew the answers. I couldn't be of any help since my 36A has the Girard water heater and I don't have the electronic control screen.
Paul P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 03:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul P. View Post
Glad you resolved your issues...was hoping someone with the same model as yours would respond, but I guess no one knew the answers. I couldn't be of any help since my 36A has the Girard water heater and I don't have the electronic control screen.
Thanks for the response. Glad it's all worked out.
Old 05-01-2023, 08:58 AM   #6
ZNR

I'm a little late to the party, but wanted to add this because I had the same problem and it was driving me crazy. I found this on the Airstream forum:
"After talking to Jerry [from Firefly], the first thing he told us was that he gets called weekly for the same issue, here's what he told us;

It's all about how full your tank is. If it's overfilled (91% or above) it will show Disc under the tank and empty on the gauge even though it's full. Here's the breakdown Jerry gave us...

0-25% will show low under the icon tank level
25-75% will show an accurate read
75-90% will show full

Above 90% it will show disc and the icon on the panel will show no gas in the tank."
So apparently, if you're too full the system will show 0% and "DISC" until it goes below 90%. At which time it will show full until 75%, etc etc.

This seems to track with how the system is operating in my 2023 Precept 34B. Not perfect, but at least now I have an idea of what my propane level really is.
ZNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 10:52 AM   #7

The reason for the LP tank to read full at 75-90% is tanks are not filled more than 80 to 85% to allow for expansion of LP vapor as ambient temperatures change. An LP tank should never be filled to 100% liquid capacity.
nhake01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 01:38 PM   #8
ZNR

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhake01 View Post
The reason for the LP tank to read full at 75-90% is tanks are not filled more than 80 to 85% to allow for expansion of LP vapor as ambient temperatures change. An LP tank should never be filled to 100% liquid capacity.
Thanks nhake01. Makes perfect sense to allow for expansion. Quick follow up. I've always had a rig with removable bottles and I just took them to Campers World, they put them on the scale and filled them until they weighed 30 lbs. With a tank that is permanently mounted in the motorhome, how will the technician know how much to put in the tank to bring it to 80-85% full without overfilling it?
Old 05-01-2023, 03:35 PM   #9

The MH mounted LP tank has a float gauge in/on the tank. The technician will fill the tank with LP until the gauge indicates 80%. You will be charged for the gallons of LP pumped into the tank as indicated by their fuel meter.
nhake01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 06:46 PM   #10
ZNR

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhake01 View Post
The MH mounted LP tank has a float gauge in/on the tank. The technician will fill the tank with LP until the gauge indicates 80%. You will be charged for the gallons of LP pumped into the tank as indicated by their fuel meter.
nhake01
Got it. Thank you.