Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-15-2019, 09:36 AM   #1

Help with over steering conditions while driving

I have a 2018 33U Precept, I love everything about it, I enjoy driving with this one exception. I drove from Ohio to FL and back over spring break and my arms were getting sore from the over steering I had to do to keep the MH in my lane. Wind conditions were very bad and trucks passing were the two main issues for my trip! What do I need to do to eliminate or at least minimize how much steering I need to do to go down the highway? I have read many places where people added a Safe-t-steer or a roadmaster shock to help with these conditions. I bought the Safe-t-steer last week. When I looked under my MH yesterday afternoon what to my shocked surprise!!!!!!!!! One had already been put on the MH? Now what do I do? obviously the Safe-t-steer isn't helping enough and now I have to return the one I bought ( hopefully) or find someone who wants to purchase from me! Any ideas are welcome.

beachvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:51 AM   #2

Check the weight on the front axle. If you have too much loaded behind the rear axle that will make the front end too light and can cause that problem too.

Old 04-15-2019, 10:40 AM   #3

Was this the first time you had a problem or the first time you drove it in the wind?

I'd start with your tire inflation pressures. A few years ago I had a small MH. There was a 'sweet spot' for the front tire pressure; too high and the steering was 'twitchy' and too low and the unit would wander.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 10:46 AM   #4

Jayco install J ryde suspension and steering upgrades as standard on Ford Chassis , so the issues are more likely to be weight distribution as already posted.
Ed
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 01:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Jayco install J ryde suspension and steering upgrades as standard on Ford Chassis , so the issues are more likely to be weight distribution as already posted.
Ed

The "J Ride" suspension is nothing more than a marketing ploy by Jayco. Everything "J Ride" comes on the F53 motorhome chassis supplied by Ford.

OP. As far as wind goes and helping the "tail wagging the dog" when semi's pass, have a rear track bar installed.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 05:10 AM   #6

Try getting an alignment at a large truck shop to Ford motorhome specs (different than chassis specs as unit is supplied to jayco). I am adding the track bar also for symptoms you describe and will report back in a few weeks after I have driven in wind.

J ride plus is b.s.

hawkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 07:08 AM   #7

Send a message via Skype™ to Foretm
Lots of good suggestions here. Here's what I did in order. Not saying this is the best order, but this is what I did.

Free

- Weigh the coach and adjust the tire pressure. The goodyear tire chart minimum pressure (80psi) is plenty enough to handle the weight of my front axle, however its not enough to keep the wandering down. I currently run 90 as i'm still testing different pressures.

- Cheap Handling Fix front and rear. Made a HUGE difference, but still allowed for quite a bit of "push" from passing semis and wind.

- Reload the coach to move as much weight to the front as possible.

$$$ - All of these were done simultaneously by a truck shop

- Trac-Bar: The track bar works so well, I can feel the coach lean away from the passing trucks vs the read end move to the right. Highly recommend one of these.

- Safe-T-Plus Steering Stabilizer: The steering stabilizer helps bring the steering wheel back to center and seems to help with the wandering some. I do love this, but it sounds like you have one already.

- Alignment: Oddly enough the alignment was actually very good. I recommend having the toe set to 1/16" in on each side for a total toe of 1/8" in. Set as much positive caster as possible and still be in spec with Ford recommendations. Mine were already right at or very close to the upper limit.

At this point, i'm still playing with tire pressures to find my sweet spot, but right now the coach drives like a dream compared to what it did beforehand. I have the little brother to the Precept (equivilent to Jayco Allante 31V) so i'm on the 18K F53 with the 19.5" wheels. The smaller wheels make these issues that much more pronounced, as does the longer rear overhang.

Hope this helps..
Foretm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 12:20 PM   #8

Foretm - So you run different pressures front to back? and lower in the front? and that helped? Ok I am willing to give anything a try. I also have 19.5 tires with a long overhang at the back. This was one reason I wanted the larger tires, but I bought used and had no choice! The track bar you added was that at the front or the back or both? Right now I am, a little gun shy buying anything since I just bought a safe-t-steer I didn't need. Any pictures of track bar located on a motorhome would help! Who knows I may already have that too...……..
Old 04-18-2019, 07:21 AM   #9

Just watched some You-Tube on track bar installation sounds like the thing I need to do. Hawkstr let me know how the installation goes and the results. Foretm, I appreciate your input.
Old 04-18-2019, 12:31 PM   #10

Send a message via Skype™ to Foretm
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachvic View Post
Foretm - So you run different pressures front to back? and lower in the front? and that helped? Ok I am willing to give anything a try. I also have 19.5 tires with a long overhang at the back. This was one reason I wanted the larger tires, but I bought used and had no choice! The track bar you added was that at the front or the back or both? Right now I am, a little gun shy buying anything since I just bought a safe-t-steer I didn't need. Any pictures of track bar located on a motorhome would help! Who knows I may already have that too.....

Negative.... I currently run 90 all around, but there would be nothing wrong with different pressures for different axles. Just make sure all tires on that axle are the same. AKA 90 in the front and 85 in the rear is ok.

Tracbar was rear, made a huge difference. I'll get you a pic when I get to the RV in a couple hours. I doubt you have the trackbar, you should have sway bars front and rear, and you may have a front tracbar, mine does. I added the rear tracbar.

I understand, sell the safe-t-steer or return it, and spend that money on the tracbar. The tracbar will attach the axle to the frame. See this video on the tracbar.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...ojd_t13c2EvCe8

Foretm is offline   Reply With Quote