Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-06-2018, 11:00 AM   #1

Hitch drop needed for toad...? 2017 Precept 35S...

Hello. Is anyone aware of the necessity for a drop hitch for pulling a tow vehical behind a Precept? We have a new-to-us 2014 jeep wrangler that we are prepping for road, but we are away from our coach for a "minute" and want to buy what we'll need for when we are back to our coach. Does anyone know how many inches of drop we will need for towing the jeep?
Old 06-06-2018, 12:40 PM   #2

Depends on the height of the Toad- generally you don’t want more than 3 inches either direction when towing. If you use a drop you will drag it a lot more when entering parking lots than you will without.
Farris7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 08:13 PM   #3

You probably are not going to know whether or not you need one until you get your toad set up for towing. I have Blue Ox tow bar and baseplates for my 2018 Cherokee Trailhawk and it lines up perfectly so no vertical adjustment was necessary. As previously mentioned, +/- 3 inches is the acceptable tolerance. Good luck with your setup.
Old 06-06-2018, 08:23 PM   #4

Here's how to decide..

https://www.etrailer.com/faq-high-low-adapter.aspx
Old 06-06-2018, 10:26 PM   #5

Okay, based on what Grumpy showed us, can anyone measure the distance from level ground to the hitch reciever of their Precept (2017, 35S). Maybe they are all similar or in the 3" range of each other.
Old 06-07-2018, 10:46 AM   #6
RWK

Hi,
I agree that it will be hard to know until you choose your equipment and install it.

We have a Jayco Alante that we added leaf springs and a spacer too in order to stop its dragging through driveways. Our Jeep wrangler unlimited rubicon has a 3 inch lift on it. We had a Rock Hard 4×4 Patriot Aluminum Front Bumper (https://www.rockhard4x4.com/product_p/rh-5045.htm) placed on it with integrated mounting brackets for our chosen tow bar.

We chose the Roadmaster Blackhawk 2 All Terrain bar (10K bar) as we often boon dock and wanted something a little more rugged. (We found a half priced used tow bar so no link for it)

Our jeep stops via the Stay and Play Duo system by Demco. (https://www.demco-products.com/rv-to...y-in-play-duo/)

The whole system works seamlessly and is quick to hook up and take down even by one person. My wife regularly hooks it up with no stress or trouble all by herself. She never wanted to touch the travel trailer hook ups on the last RV.

The hitch needed no drop down, since the two vehicles aligned well as they were. (The All Terrain bar is very forgiving on angles) My coach sits higher in the rear than any precept (After up grades)I've seen so depending on the height of the brackets on the jeep I'b be surprised if a drop is required, but all installs are a little different.
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep towed.jpg   Jeep bumper.jpg  
RWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 03:43 PM   #7

We had to use a 6" drop receiver between our 2017 Precept 31UL and our 2013 Jeep Wrangler. We have a Roadmaster tow bar system.
Toad - 2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport
charlie1047 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 05:21 PM   #8

I have a 2018 26X and pull my 2016 stock Wrangler Unlimited and the hitch lined up just right without any drop-hitch. I am pulling with a Blue Ox Tow Bar and Base Plate. Be advised, with my short wheel base, if I turn very sharp my bumpers will hit each other and damage will occur... I can send photos of my very sad face when I realized what I had done. I have added an 8" extension between the hitch and the Tow Bar since that incident. JH
micp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 06:05 PM   #9

Dragging Alante

RWK,
Hi I just purchased a 2018 Alante and I seen your post and I would like to know more about the Leaf Springs and Spacer because ours drags the ground in driveways too. I also want to pull a trailer with it. How many springs and height did you add?
If you can help me out with this problem it greatly will be appreciated!
Thanks,
Cec67SS
Cec67SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 06:21 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalasha79 View Post
Okay, based on what Grumpy showed us, can anyone measure the distance from level ground to the hitch reciever of their Precept (2017, 35S). Maybe they are all similar or in the 3" range of each other.
Okay, the 2017 Precept 35S is 18" to hitch center and our jeep is 16" to the base plate connectors. I shouldn't need a drop as the tolerance is 3.5 inches up/down. Thanks for all of your help, and I hope this thread will help others.
Old 06-22-2018, 10:45 AM   #11
RWK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cec67SS View Post
RWK,
Hi I just purchased a 2018 Alante and I seen your post and I would like to know more about the Leaf Springs and Spacer because ours drags the ground in driveways too. I also want to pull a trailer with it. How many springs and height did you add?
If you can help me out with this problem it greatly will be appreciated!
Thanks,
Cec67SS
Redlands Truck and RV installed one additional leaf and a 1 inch spacer. They sent both the rear spring packs out to a company that specializes. The whole leaf spring cost was $1664.00 and well worth it.

They also installed a rear trac bar and a rear sway bar. Koni shocks came next and the extended valve stems. I couldn't check or put air in the inside rear dually tires.....all for about $3800.00

We did a few other things, alignment, 4 wheel weigh and the whole bill came to about $6200.00and that hurt. But it has been so much better and safer. I have no regrets. Redlands told me I'd drive in a white knuckler and drive out with two fingers on the steering wheel.

Not sure its a two finger drive, but one hand on the wheel is a normal thing now.
RWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 09:00 AM   #12

It depends on the vehicle. We are towing a small Ford Focus. We required a drop.
It does require that we stay away from steep abrupt drives etc. We cut the chain between car and hitch one time.
Rconhof is offline   Reply With Quote