Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-25-2017, 09:02 AM   #1

Thumbs down Horrible Ride in our Brand New 2018 Jayco Alante 26X

Horrible ride in our brand new 2018 Jayco Alante 26X

We purchased a 2018 Jayco Alante 26X and just returned from our first
trip .... we drove from Florida to Pa. which we've done many times with other motor homes, Class A, Class B, Class C and a travel trailer, never have we had such a poor ride ... we were terrified at times on the interstate driving alongside tractor trailers. We had to constantly check for upcoming trucks in our mirror due to being buffeted around as they passed making it very difficult to stay in our lane.
We also took a pounding on the interstate, but our major problem was the swaying of the coach and we never did over 60mph, even though the limit was 70 - 75 where other coaches our size and larger were flying by us, something that we could never do with the way this 2018 Alante 26X handled.
We have as I mentioned, driven lots of miles in other coaches and have never had one handle this badly.
We recently had a Safe-T-Plus front stabilizer installed hoping that this would improve the ride, even before taking the trip, because we read reviews on this site so we felt it was a good investment, but it didn't help this coach.
We are taking it to a local MotorHome dealership for a wheel alignment and balancing, hoping this helps our problem. After this last trip, we feel very uncomfortable driving it and if nothing helps, we'll be trading it in for hopefully a better driving coach and of course we'll be losing quite a bit on our trade, but it's better than losing our lives .... this is how bad the ride is.
My wife is refusing to drive this coach until we get the problem taken care of,
and I don't blame her one bit, and she was a professional school bus driver for 20 years.
Has anyone else had similar issues with their Alante besides us and the few folks that have posted here???? Before I put thousands of dollars into a poorly built coach, I'd like to hear if it's a frequent problem with this Alante or am I a rare case.
In any event, I would recommend to anyone thinking about purchasing a Jayco Alante to take it on the interstate at speeds of 60 - 65 mph to see how it handles, especially with tractor trailers passing you.... as I mentioned, ours gave us a terrifying ride at times, but on the back roads, it was much better,
but we don't take back roads on long trips ..... :-(

James
james3345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 10:53 AM   #2

Id say head back to the dealer, something isn't right.
Scott_Trailer_Newbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 06:14 PM   #3

We purchased a new 2017 Jayco DS31 in June this year. Left on vacation Aug 9th.returned 3rd week September. Went all the way to Oregon coast and Northern California. Put 6700 miles on unit. It drives the same as your Asante 26x. Can not get any help trying to find out why it is so dangerous to drive with the advertised j plus ride. A shame Jayco and their dealers put such a product on the road costing so much money. Will never look at a Jayco product again. Have owned 5th wheels , new in 07 41ft Forest River , travel trailers so am not new to rv industry. Very dissatisfied in entire process with this Jayco 31DS.
Tightline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 03:57 PM   #4

Same here on a 26AY, have since fixed all of the handling and ride issues and the coach now drives great and rides smooth without the harsh thuds and jarring bumps. See my post in 'Anyone stick with just the J-ride'
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 05:39 PM   #5

Thanks JesseS. What all did you need to change or add besides the factory jride?
Old 11-20-2017, 05:40 PM   #6
RWK

You are not alone. I'd like to blame Jayco alone for this, but its really a F53 chassis issue. They just install the minimum amount of equipment to keep it on the road. We all test drive them unloaded and take them home after the purchase. Once we load the coach to near capacity things change for the worse. We spent thousands making it right for us. Many of us have documented our adventures on this forum. Good luck.
RWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 05:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightline View Post
Thanks JesseS. What all did you need to change or add besides the factory jride?
Se post #24 HERE
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 08:36 PM   #8

I also have a 2017 31DS , I wanted the extra storage in the rear compartment . I have the same problem with handling.
I have been wondering may I have to much weight in the rear of the motorhome . He has the rear pass thru from one side to the other.

Anyone have any ideas?
Ljnasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 07:39 AM   #9

Have you tightened the hellwig rear suspension yet. It did help some. Pm me so we can talk because i am very disappointed in my 31ds.