Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-25-2017, 09:34 AM   #1

Horrible Ride in our Brand New 2018 Jayco Alante 26X

Horrible ride in our brand new 2018 Jayco Alante 26X
JesseS,
We purchased a 2018 Jayco Alante 26X and just returned from our first
trip .... we drove from Florida to Pa. which we've done many times with other motor homes, Class A, Class B, Class C and a travel trailer, never have we had such a poor ride ... we were terrified at times on the interstate driving alongside tractor trailers. We had to constantly check for upcoming trucks in our mirror due to being buffeted around as they passed making it very difficult to stay in our lane.
We also took a pounding on the interstate, but our major problem was the swaying of the coach and we never did over 60mph, even though the limit was 70 - 75 where other coaches our size and larger were flying by us, something that we could never do with the way this 2018 Alante 26X handled.
We have as I mentioned, driven lots of miles in other coaches and have never had one handle this badly.
We recently had a Safe-T-Plus front stabilizer installed hoping that this would improve the ride, even before taking the trip, because we read reviews on this site so we felt it was a good investment, but it didn't help this coach.
We are taking it to a local MotorHome dealership for a wheel alignment and balancing, hoping this helps our problem. After this last trip, we feel very uncomfortable driving it and if nothing helps, we'll be trading it in for hopefully a better driving coach and of course we'll be losing quite a bit on our trade, but it's better than losing our lives .... this is how bad the ride is.
My wife is refusing to drive this coach until we get the problem taken care of,
and I don't blame her one bit, and she was a professional school bus driver for 20 years.
Has anyone else had similar issues with their Alante besides us and the few folks here?

James
james3345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 10:58 AM   #2

I'm pretty sure I saw a recent thread on this exact same issue from another Alante owner. Class C forum maybe?
Old 10-25-2017, 11:13 AM   #3

I may have placed the post in two areas by mistake .... thanks.

James
Old 10-25-2017, 11:33 AM   #4

There have been countless threads on this subject. Please use the search option.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 12:09 PM   #5

My 2016 Alante has same problem I have put $2500 in parts and you still can't keep it on the road I have talk to jayco and they want do anything. So I called department of transportation and reported problem it is in your book from jayco I am still waiting to get my Rv in to fix shower floor were they didn't put in any support they Jan now there saying April I wish I would of bought something else good luck
DDailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 02:11 PM   #6

Doesn't anyone take these MH for a test ride before buying, a trip down the freeway would have told you a lot.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 03:47 PM   #7

You are absolutely right, but the interstate was 20 + miles away from the dealer.
We tested it on a main road with a speed limit of 55....we have an appointment for an alignment and wheel balancing, so hopefully that will help, if not, we'll get rid of it and take the loss.

Thanks again,
James
Old 10-26-2017, 07:59 PM   #8

Thank you DDailey, we'll update our post after having the wheel alignment and balancing done on Nov. 1st... we're hoping that helps.
Old 10-28-2017, 12:56 PM   #9

If you need help with the shower pan PM me, I fixed mine as it was very 'spongy' I added 3 supports and now it is solid.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 02:40 PM   #10

Wow. That's bad.

You've mentioned the "ride", but actually described handling problems. Is it the ride, as in too firm, etc., or is it the handling (ability to control the vehicle)?
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 02:56 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siamese View Post
Wow. That's bad.

You've mentioned the "ride", but actually described handling problems. Is it the ride, as in too firm, etc., or is it the handling (ability to control the vehicle)?
As most Alante (can't speak for others) owners will say it is both. The front springs/shocks are over built for the application giving a very 'hard' ride due to the springs/shocks not compressing enough because of being under weighted. Combine this with the long leaf springs in the rear and a short wheel vase (158") and you get side to side axle shift causing 'wag the dog' over steering. The later is corrected mostly by adding a rear trac bar and Koni shocks, the rut tracking is mostly corrected by a Safe-T-Steer. But the harsh 'thuds' and 'jarring' can only be corrected by de-rateing the springs and adding air suspension in the front. I guess it all depends on what you consider an acceptable ride, I am going to be putting a lot of time behind the wheel and I want the best ride I can get. When the over head bunk pulls the mounting rails out of the wall the ride is way too hard.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
Old 10-28-2017, 03:01 PM   #12

In 2017 I also purchased a new Alante 26 X. Our first trip was thur Northern Vermont, NH and then onto Freeport Maine. We wanted to see the countryside so we sated off the interstates. All was well until we decide to go from Syracuse NY to Rochester NY via I-90. That was an absolute total night mare. After 50 miles I got off and made my way on secondary roads. Now we only use it for very short trips. The last short run being 90 miles and another nightmare. My poor wife was almost in tears. I say part of the blame lies with Ford and part with Jayco. Anyone that I have chatted with that has a MH on and F-53 chassis call them the wander. If everyone who is having this problem would stick together and file a complaint we might get some resolve. I for one am not putting another .50 cents into something that should be handled by Jayco and Ford. No I am not driving it to Indiana to have the problem fixed. It was delivered to my home let them come here and to the fix. Sorry for the rant.
Deerlope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 03:10 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerlope View Post
In 2017 I also purchased a new Alante 26 X. Our first trip was thur Northern Vermont, NH and then onto Freeport Maine. We wanted to see the countryside so we sated off the interstates. All was well until we decide to go from Syracuse NY to Rochester NY via I-90. That was an absolute total night mare. After 50 miles I got off and made my way on secondary roads. Now we only use it for very short trips. The last short run being 90 miles and another nightmare. My poor wife was almost in tears. I say part of the blame lies with Ford and part with Jayco. Anyone that I have chatted with that has a MH on and F-53 chassis call them the wander. If everyone who is having this problem would stick together and file a complaint we might get some resolve. I for one am not putting another .50 cents into something that should be handled by Jayco and Ford. No I am not driving it to Indiana to have the problem fixed. It was delivered to my home let them come here and to the fix. Sorry for the rant.
Actually it is almost ALL Jayco's fault. They (Jayco) orders these rolling chassis from Ford, and spells out the spec's they want on them. Instead of paying a little extra and getting the correct suspension package for the M/H box they plan to put on it they get the standard F53 Super Duty chassis, one size fits all, which is not the case. Short of adding lead weights to the axle there is no way for me to add to the front end weight to properly load the supplied spring set, it needs softer springs.
Old 10-28-2017, 03:29 PM   #14

Mine will probably not sell without me taking a hugh lose. So one option would be to part is out all chassis pieces and coach pieces. Then have a hugh bonfire and whatever is left sell for scrap metal.
Deerlope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 03:48 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerlope View Post
Mine will probably not sell without me taking a hugh lose. So one option would be to part is out all chassis pieces and coach pieces. Then have a hugh bonfire and whatever is left sell for scrap metal.
I understand your frustration, but if I sold it the loss would be a lot more than the cost of fixing the suspension so that it rides the way it is supposed to, and as we really like the coach other than the harsh ride I will just fix it. Keep an eye on my thread on the Kelderman Air Suspension system I am having installed next week. I have high hopes that it will fix my issues, we shall see.
Old 10-28-2017, 04:01 PM   #16

What pressure are you running in your tire So? I found on my a class A dropping the air pressure to 80 pounds made a huge difference. Ford chassis a bit bigger but not a Jayco.
Old 10-28-2017, 04:09 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old skipper View Post
What pressure are you running in your tire So? I found on my a class A dropping the air pressure to 80 pounds made a huge difference. Ford chassis a bit bigger but not a Jayco.
The Jayco recommended air pressure is 82psi, I have tried everything between 75-95, actually 95 (load range G 80-110) seems to be the best so far, less rut tracking and more stable. I don't have a problem with the handling any longer, fixed that, now working on the very harsh ride in the front due to the under loaded suspension. Need 3200 lbs on each side for correct loading, can't even get close.
Old 10-28-2017, 04:32 PM   #18

Likely have the tires overloaded with that excess weight.
dlibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 04:44 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlibson View Post
Likely have the tires overloaded with that excess weight.
Not sure what you are referring to, what excess weight?
Old 10-28-2017, 04:51 PM   #20

If you actually added 3200lbs to each side.
dlibson is offline   Reply With Quote