Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-01-2021, 06:58 AM   #1

Hot water heater

Does anyone else really not like the tankless water heater. We dry camp a lot and it feels like we waste a lot of water getting to the right temperature. Then when trying to conserve water by turning the shower on and off you get that blast of cold and have to wait for hot again... not a fan so far anyways
DebGot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 10:51 AM   #2

When dry camping and trying to conserve water. I use a gallon milk jug cut in half just above the handle and then set it on the floor underneath the shower head between me and the shower wall. i set the temp which is a little lower than my spouses' temp, set the shower head to low setting, turn the shower head so it sprays toward the wall, turn the hot water on only. I never use the cold water knob as the temp has been set, step in turn the sprayer toward me, soap and lather, pick up the jug which has now captured most of the excess water, dump it on me to rinse, then clean rinse with the sprayer. Shut it off and out. I never get the blast of cold as the hot water is constantly flowing but I limit my time in the shower and use the excess water in the jug for the first rinse. That is about the best I am going to do for conserving water while showering. If I am hooked up, i do the same thing except I do not use the jug and never use the cold water knob while keeping the hot flow constant with the hot temperature degree setting and never get the blast of cold. Hope that helps.
Old 08-01-2021, 11:06 AM   #3

I don't have one in my trailer or my home. Put two in a pair of single family rentals with good intentions. Took them out. An expensive lesson. Renters were very vocal about how much they hated them. Plus, their water bills were higher due to the pre-heat cycle before you could do anything in the kitchen or bath. Try to find a plumber with one. Not a fan.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 11:21 AM   #4

Bought my new Greyhawk back in late 2016 (2017 model) which came with the tankless. Absolutely HATED it! It wastes so much water that not only does it drain your fresh water tank while dry camping, it also fills up your gray tank.

It was marginally OK for doing dishes and that was it. As you mentioned, showers were not fun.

Finally pulled that junk and put in a standard tank model. HAPPY DAYS!!!!!

Now we are very happy campers. Night and day difference. If you dry camp, I stand by the tank model. Living in California we are very conscious of water waste and I never did like the tankless.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 09:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebGot View Post
Does anyone else really not like the tankless water heater. We dry camp a lot and it feels like we waste a lot of water getting to the right temperature. Then when trying to conserve water by turning the shower on and off you get that blast of cold and have to wait for hot again... not a fan so far anyways
Have not tried it in dry camp mode yet but it is also a pain at low psi shore sites too with our new Alante.

From the Girard manual;

“The RV’s cold water system deriving its water input from a pressurized (45 psi or greater) source such as a shore connection or an RV water pump connected to the RV’s fresh water storage tank. NOTE - A steady water flow (no pulsating) will ensure a consistent temperature and performance.“

Page 12;

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1216/0450/files/Girard_RV_tankless_water_heater_GSWH-2_owner_s_manual_2016.pdf?7001776493250487096

2 of the 3 sites we’ve been to had fluctuating psi, sometimes down to 20psi, I’d yell out “woo hoo its cold!” Freaking out the wifey.

At the one site it worked fine at, Lebanon KOA, 4 of us had long hot showers. Regulator showed 45-50psi there.
Alante31V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 11:20 AM   #6

We dry camp all the time, there is no way I would want a tankless, for the reasons you mentioned.

Depending on your MH, you might be able to add a third pipe (return line) with a pump, and create a recirculate loop. Keeps the water heater running, and eliminates the cold cycles.

We have a tankless at home. Works great, it took a couple weeks to learn a few tricks. Saves us a LOT in gas costs. I am sure we use a bit more water when doing dishes by hand, as we trickle the hot water for rinsing. Water here is much cheaper than gas.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote