Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-08-2020, 03:28 PM   #41

Send a message via AIM to 2KOOL4U Send a message via Skype™ to 2KOOL4U
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickM View Post
Not that I travel at 65, more like 62/63 but the noise is still terrible, DW and I have to shout to be heard. What to other Class A owners do?

I've noticed that firemen wear head sets to communicate in the cab of their firetrucks so that thought progressed into why not in the cab of our motor home?

I'm not convinced I can sell the idea to DW to wear David Clark headsets plugged into an intercom but that is the direction I am headed with a pair of Sampson Racing crew headphones plugged into an aviation portable intercom.

Anyone else tired of the noise and shouting?
I wear noise cancelling head phones. That V12 is so noisy
2KOOL4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 07:09 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KOOL4U View Post
Not a legal solution in most states and in PA the fine is significant.
psw757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 07:41 AM   #43

I even cancelled my Sirrius XM account. Couldn't hear it
Old 07-10-2020, 07:51 AM   #44

Insullation

I think I will try insulating the noise. I don't where shoes while driving because my feet get too hot from the dog house. I touched bear skin to the cowling one time and got a slight burn. I love my Precept but I should have gone back to a diesel. Quiet and lots of torque.
Old 07-10-2020, 09:12 AM   #45
Lost in the Woods

Quote:

Because of the noise, I'm thinking of something similar, like a two way intercom with headsets, so we can talk normally on long trips... otherwise I'm hoarse from having to yell over the road noise.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 09:09 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickM View Post
And therein lies one huge difference between a Class A and Class C. I've always believed the truck chassis were insulated better than the open frames used in the Class A's. None of my Ford trucks were noisy except for the '99 F250 with the 7.3 International engine.
This is what you see when you remove the rubber floor mat from a 2019 Redhawk. I just covered the whole thing with DEI Boom Mat. Results TBD.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20200622_154203.jpg  
MikeUSNRet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 08:59 AM   #47

Dog house removal

Thought it would be cake to get the dog house out, but not so. Finding 16 screws so far. and I am sure there are more to come. But I have been able to lift it enough to stick my hand under there and I can feel ZERO insulation.
Old 07-15-2020, 07:21 AM   #48

Quote:
Thought it would be cake to get the dog house out, but not so. Finding 16 screws so far. and I am sure there are more to come. But I have been able to lift it enough to stick my hand under there and I can feel ZERO insulation.
I did a full write up on this and it detailed every step including number and location of all screws.

I have the Entegra Emblem which is very similar to the precept prestige model and your right, no insulation just a black spray coating.

It needs dynamat topped with the dynamat engine bay reflective foam for heat. Dog house not hot anymore and lowered about 10-12 dB in noise. You also want to dynamat the open floor areas in wheel wells up front as this is directly above the two seats and foot areas.
Old 07-15-2020, 07:39 AM   #49

Shielding dog house

I believe I remember you posting the step by step process of taking out the cover. I should have paid better attention. The last screw under the dash on the passenger side took me sometime to find. That dog house I am sure was put in before the dash and all the radio wires and ducting.
So you are saying to also put the material on the wheel wells exposing it to the elements. Won't it disintegrate?
I've been communicating with Jayco about all this problem. They were surprised about my problem with the noise and heat. I sent them a picture of the underside. I told them to Dynamat it so their customers don't have to do it.

Also do you know where the horn fuse is.
Old 07-16-2020, 06:31 AM   #50

Quote:
I believe I remember you posting the step by step process of taking out the cover. I should have paid better attention. The last screw under the dash on the passenger side took me sometime to find. That dog house I am sure was put in before the dash and all the radio wires and ducting.
So you are saying to also put the material on the wheel wells exposing it to the elements. Won't it disintegrate?
I've been communicating with Jayco about all this problem. They were surprised about my problem with the noise and heat. I sent them a picture of the underside. I told them to Dynamat it so their customers don't have to do it.

Also do you know where the horn fuse is.
There are two products needed to do the doghouse, the heavy metallic sided dynamat which is just acoustic mat and the high temp metallic backed foam insulation for heat reflection.

Wheel wells get the acoustic dampening mat and no I have not had any issues driving through rain and throwing rocks etc... pretty dense stuff with metallic layer.

You’ll be surprised how much the dog house weighs when done.
Old 07-16-2020, 06:57 AM   #51

Get the Embark diesel pusher,very quiet.
Danny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 06:59 AM   #52

Get the Embark diesel pusher,very quiet
Danny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 07:29 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by psw757 View Post
There are two products needed to do the doghouse, the heavy metallic sided dynamat which is just acoustic mat and the high temp metallic backed foam insulation for heat reflection.

Wheel wells get the acoustic dampening mat and no I have not had any issues driving through rain and throwing rocks etc... pretty dense stuff with metallic layer.

You’ll be surprised how much the dog house weighs when done.
Yes it was a lot heavier. I finished up yesterday and was completely surprised how much quieter it was. Took it up to 65 where I usually am and I could hear the radio.
I looked under the front wheels and can see 12 x 24 plates to stick the shielding to. So whats my project??
Old 07-16-2020, 09:55 AM   #54

Our dog house is still warm but not as bad since the yellow sock over the intake was removed...not being mechanically inclined there is no way I can do this insulation thing myself. Shame on Jayco for not addressing this during manufacture....I am also having trouble being able to drive more than an hour due to the seat situation! How horrible that a 5'6" person cannot adjust the seat to be comfortable enough to drive. I had to go back to physical therapy.
redfernj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 11:03 AM   #55

You say heavy metallic material. Like tin or foil with thick tar like backing.
Old 07-16-2020, 11:06 AM   #56

The seat does go way back. I'm 5.9 and move the seat close enough to get comfortable. But my belly gets in the way of the wheel which has not much adjustment. I added a suicide knob to the wheel which makes big turns real easy.
Old 07-18-2020, 03:19 PM   #57

I used the information that psw757 provided on another forum for insulation of the doghouse. I used the Dynamat Extreme & Dynamat hoodliner on the doghouse, and last week, I used the DE on the floor of the driver and passenger side and covered that with an outdoor mat from Walmart. Today was the first time driving it, and the noise levels were significantly reduced. The decibel level at idle was 64db; cruise set at 67mph it was 76db at 2,200 rpm; and going up a small hill at 3,000 rpm and 65mph was 82db. Heat from doghouse and floor is a non-issue. I did not check the decibel level prior to using DE but the noise reduction is noticeable and I am really pleased that I did this project. As a sort of "reference" point, my 2017 Honda Pilot registers 66db at 75mph.

I want to thank all the helpful people who told the OP and other V10 owners to get a diesel like the Jayco Embark. I figure my little project cost about $125 and some hours of work, but I love my Precept 31UL and I saved over $100,000 by not buying a diesel. When it is parked it is just as quiet and comfortable as any other rv.
mtnprecept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 04:28 PM   #58

Okay speak English. How did you afix the matt. You need to do the tune. Best 500$ spent. 65 More HP shifts like a stock car. Does less down shifts while towing. With the quieter engine I don't miss my diesel. J ride no rock and roll. No play in the steering. 36B Presept.
Old 07-18-2020, 04:46 PM   #59

The outdoor mat from Walmart is affixed by double sided tape to the metallic side of the Dynamat Extreme which is stuck to the linoleum floor. Since doing the tune voids the Ford warranty on the engine, I shall pass.
mtnprecept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 06:51 AM   #60

Warranty

My dealer says my warranty is safe. I asked before I did it.........So there is a dynamat with a metal finish