Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-29-2021, 09:35 AM   #1

How to carry external grey dump on class A without ladder

I'm reaching out to the group to see if anyone has a solution to this problem, "Our Motorhome (2020 Precept) without a ladder that needs to carry an external grey water dump tank"?

My wife said NO WAY are we carrying it inside the MH or in her car! So, all and any ideas or solutions you have would be greatly appreciated.

John
johnscavone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 09:41 AM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
On top of the Car? or on the back of the MH?
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 01:27 PM   #3

You don't say which model of Precept you have but there should be enough room under the rear of the coach to build a rack to store a tote on. I'll be using fiberglass unistrut to build a rack under ours for tote and/or spare tire storage. (just a tire, no wheel)
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 02:56 PM   #4

I'll check to see if there's room to build a storage rack for the grey tank under the backend
Old 03-29-2021, 03:49 PM   #5

I've seen people stick it vertical on top of the bumper and use elastic cords to hold in place. Not that you would want to, but perhaps put some eye hooks or similar to hook the bungie cords to along the back wall to hold it.
Old 03-29-2021, 03:54 PM   #6

No need for a rack. Couple of ratchet straps and itll be just fine. I carried one that way on my first 5th wheel for a long time.
Old 03-30-2021, 05:31 AM   #7

A couple of notes/thoughts regarding comments in this thread.
1. this is a 2020 motorhome and No Bumper to strap anything to.
2. regarding building any structure under the rear.... there's a reason all our rig's body are slanted up at the rear... i.e, it's to allow clearance for when the road surface has dips/inclines so the rear doesn't drag on the road. Many rigs and TT have skid plates and/or wheels mounted to the frame to help prevent damage

So the caution is that anything you mount under the rear end of a MH or TT be mindful of this.

Another option to consider for caring a gray water aux tank or spare tire is the basement storage. In my Precept 34G, two of my basement storage areas go all the way through one side to the other over top the frame. It's about 12" high and where I'll store my spare tire. Depending on the size of a gray water aux tank, that should fit there also.

Regardless of where you store the tank, if concerned about cleanliness, you can alway put the tank it a large heavy duty leaf/garbage bag.

Lastly, installing a ladder and using it for the aux tank may be the best option. You'll need access to the roof anyway for maintenance and not have to then carry a ladder.

Mark
Old 03-30-2021, 06:58 AM   #8

A comment about #2. above. Common sense helps, and a tape measure.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 07:25 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkassab View Post
A couple of notes/thoughts regarding comments in this thread.
1. this is a 2020 motorhome and No Bumper to strap anything to.
2. regarding building any structure under the rear.... there's a reason all our rig's body are slanted up at the rear... i.e, it's to allow clearance for when the road surface has dips/inclines so the rear doesn't drag on the road. Many rigs and TT have skid plates and/or wheels mounted to the frame to help prevent damage

So the caution is that anything you mount under the rear end of a MH or TT be mindful of this.

Another option to consider for caring a gray water aux tank or spare tire is the basement storage. In my Precept 34G, two of my basement storage areas go all the way through one side to the other over top the frame. It's about 12" high and where I'll store my spare tire. Depending on the size of a gray water aux tank, that should fit there also.

Regardless of where you store the tank, if concerned about cleanliness, you can alway put the tank it a large heavy duty leaf/garbage bag.

Lastly, installing a ladder and using it for the aux tank may be the best option. You'll need access to the roof anyway for maintenance and not have to then carry a ladder.

Mark
Thanks for the safe advice and possible solutions. Jayco told me that the 2020 Precept Prestige's do not have structural support to mount a ladder on the tail end, geeze, very frustrating. They also made sure that installing an aftermarket ladder will void my warranty, grrrr! This makes roof maintenance challenging. Back to the gray tank, I'll check to see if I can fit it into the basement, but honestl, it does sounds less than ideal.
Again thanks for sharing, you have opened up possibilities that I've not considered.
Old 03-30-2021, 08:30 AM   #10

John, I believe Jayco is wrong (or at least the person you communicated with).... i.e.,

1. I have a factory installed Ladder on my 2021 Jayco Precept 34G.
2. One way you can tell if your coach is ready for a ladder is pretty simple... the rear fiberglass end cap behind the faux bumper hump where the bottom of the ladder is screwed to the end cap (see pic 1 below), on both the left and right sides of the back side of the end cap should be a 1x or 2x 6" or 8" treated piece of wood that's fiberglassed into the end cap. Look at pic 2, lower left corner, and you can see the wood is fiberglassed into the end cap.

Heck, you may even be able to knock on the fiberglass with your knuckles and here the sound change due to the density of the wood?

My gut says you'll be able to install a ladder

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0491.jpg   InkedIMG_0488_LI.jpg