Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-20-2021, 10:42 AM   #1

How to disable fridge (when plugged in at home)

We live in AZ and the 110+ degree days are a bear on the fridge. I like to keep it plugged in to keep the batteries charged but really don’t want the fridge working the whole time especially in the heat. The fridge is a residential type. AC only.
Old 06-20-2021, 11:16 AM   #2
TWX

My 174BH has a circuit breaker panel populated with Square-D Homelite breakers, one of which is labeled for the refrigerator:

Pink text added by me.

I presume that "converter" for Circuit B refers to the rectifier to charge the batteries and run the DC stuff.

My particular fridge uses DC to power the fridge circuitry for the purposes of attempting to turn on the propane system. On mine to disable even that check there's a 15A fuse, apparently shared with the furnace controls too:

My guess is that if I were to pull that fuse along with shutting off the breaker, that would entirely disable the refrigerator.

Just a note of caution, I don't know how the propane solenoid for a propane-powered fridge operates. I would not pull that fuse while the fridge is operating on propane, because I don't know if the solenoid would properly close off the valve. For all I know it would, but I have not looked into it.
Attached Thumbnails
06 Panel Annotated (PXL_20210306_233657227).jpg   07 DC Fuses (PXL_20210306_233657227).jpg  
Old 06-20-2021, 12:38 PM   #3

With a residential frig, you should have two options. Inside the frig where the temp controls are. Many frigs have an option to turn it off. Might need to look at your owners manual.

Frigerators should be on a designated circuit breaker. In an RV, who knows if that is true. I would identiy the correct breaker, and flip it off.

One thing to note, leave the frig doors open, or place charcoal and a box of baking soda in each compartment. Or you will get stink and mold. Personnally I just leave the doors propped open.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 02:13 PM   #4

I turn the breaker off for my res fridge.
Old 06-20-2021, 09:00 PM   #5

Our fridge is a Whirlpool residential fridge (so no issue with propane setting).
I also don’t have a separate breaker for the fridge.
I’ll have to see if I can turn the fridge off. It has a digital control panel so there’s no mechanical dial / switch

In a perfect world, I was hoping to be able to turn the power off to only the fridge.

The fridge is not marked on any of the AC breakers. I’m assuming that it is on one of the main legs... But there is REFER notation on the DC side’s top fuse. I didn’t want to turn of the AC breaker without knowing if there is really a DC component that I need to turn off.
Attached Thumbnails
48EA7558-CF53-4037-A5A0-29CDAB94182E.jpg   C7C9844B-EFCA-425D-9A23-3F43AC786E75.jpg  
Old 06-21-2021, 03:59 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartlenb View Post
Our fridge is a Whirlpool residential fridge (so no issue with propane setting).
I also don’t have a separate breaker for the fridge.
I’ll have to see if I can turn the fridge off. It has a digital control panel so there’s no mechanical dial / switch

In a perfect world, I was hoping to be able to turn the power off to only the fridge.

The fridge is not marked on any of the AC breakers. I’m assuming that it is on one of the main legs... But there is REFER notation on the DC side’s top fuse. I didn’t want to turn of the AC breaker without knowing if there is really a DC component that I need to turn off.
We have the same refrig as you in our Precept 34G. Just turn off the Whirlpool on its front panel. One of the soft keys on the panel you just have to hold for ~3 secs. to turn off/on.

I suspect the DC pnl is just a "standard" sticker Jayco uses and doesn't do anything. Our refrig is powered via the inverter circuit breaker. NOTE: because our refrig is powered via the inverter circuit, make sure the Inverter is also OFF on its remote panel (Pic below) or the house batteries will be used to power the refrig.

BTW, pulling the DC fuse won't hurt anything either. Since your goal is keeping the batteries charge, that's done via the "Converter" circuit breaker.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0442.jpg  
Old 06-21-2021, 10:28 AM   #7

To turn off the cooling, hold the 2 soft keys on the far right of the fridge control panel for 3 seconds and you get a red light saying cooling off. Fridge light stay on. Although we are connected to 120v power in our storage area, we turn off the cooling whenever the rv is in storage for more than a few weeks.

2019 Jayco Precept 31UL
mtnprecept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 08:42 AM   #8

Thanks all!
Old 02-07-2022, 12:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkassab View Post
We have the same refrig as you in our Precept 34G. Just turn off the Whirlpool on its front panel. One of the soft keys on the panel you just have to hold for ~3 secs. to turn off/on.

I suspect the DC pnl is just a "standard" sticker Jayco uses and doesn't do anything. Our refrig is powered via the inverter circuit breaker. NOTE: because our refrig is powered via the inverter circuit, make sure the Inverter is also OFF on its remote panel (Pic below) or the house batteries will be used to power the refrig.

BTW, pulling the DC fuse won't hurt anything either. Since your goal is keeping the batteries charge, that's done via the "Converter" circuit breaker.

Mark
Since you have the same rig as mine (2021 Precept 34G) I'm wondering if you've had any issue with the main power switch. I've lost 12V power and it seems to be related to what I'll call the run always function. If I press the main power switch I can hear the solenoid click and the red light and coach lights come on momentarily but then go off. Is there a function or relay that maintains the 'On' position? I've removed the ground cable from the battery as was suggested but that did not solve the problem. In troubleshooting it seems there may be something that keeps the switch connection active to the battery or relay. Any thoughts?
fpsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 08:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpsteve View Post
If I press the main power switch I can hear the solenoid click and the red light and coach lights come on momentarily but then go off. Is there a function or relay that maintains the 'On' position? I've removed the ground cable from the battery as was suggested but that did not solve the problem. In troubleshooting it seems there may be something that keeps the switch connection active to the battery or relay. Any thoughts?
fpsteve, did you ever get this sorted out? I'm curious for how long you disconnected the house batteries...I remember reading that it wasn't an insignificant amount of time (i.e. several minutes) for the circuitry to reset. But it also sounded like you were experiencing a slightly different issue.

The other reason for me posting is my personal solution to the residential refrigerator issue in our new '23 Precept 34G. The last week or two has been a fun adventure of trying to figure out what runs when. I was surprised to find that there was no way to turn off the fridge when connected to shore power. I tried mtnprecept's solution of pressing and holding the 2 rightmost soft buttons on the panel (for my model fridge it was the Light and control lock buttons), which turned off the panel and the interior lights. However, I could still hear the compressor/fan running on the fridge, so I wasn't convinced it would stop cooling the fridge.

After poking around, I found the fridge plugged into a standard 120V A/C outlet behind the drawer underneath our stove/oven. I removed the drawer (first photo) and immediately saw the power cord in the back right (second photo). It was very tight back there, but I was able to follow the cord blindly until I felt it plugged in to the outlet (third photo, with fridge unplugged). My friend was already on a Target run, so I had her snag a 2' extension cord (fourth photo) that I could plug into the A/C outlet, run to a better location in the drawer "bay" (fifth photo), and thus provide me with an easier way to unplug the fridge when I know I won't need it but am connected to shore power. It still requires that I pull out the drawer, but the two plastic tabs on the drawer slides are easy to use for the few times I'll have to actually disconnect the fridge.

Perhaps during the off season I'll figure out a way to make a disconnect that I can simply toggle with a switch! But for now this roughly $7 mod will work great!
Attached Thumbnails
drawer-box.jpg   fridge-cord.jpg   a-c-outlet.jpg   new-plug-box.jpg   new-plug.jpg  

LakeKlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 03:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartlenb View Post
We live in AZ and the 110+ degree days are a bear on the fridge. I like to keep it plugged in to keep the batteries charged but really don’t want the fridge working the whole time especially in the heat. The fridge is a residential type. AC only.
I ordered this from Amazon.

Works great.

LoraTap Mini Remote Control Outlet Plug Adapter with Remote, 656ft Range Wireless Light Switch for Household Appliances, No Hub Required, 10A/1100W, White, 2 Years Warranty https://a.co/d/eV10LMP
gjkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 05:02 PM   #12

I have a 2015 Pinnacle with a GE residential refrigerator. My controls are on the outside of the door. If you press and hold the digital display/adjustment buttons on the freezer and the refrigerator AT THE SAME TIME, it kicks off the compressor. It will still have lights on the inside.
ahill261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 08:38 PM   #13

Hi I have a prestige 36h with a whirlpool res fridge. On my control panel the right two soft buttons being pressed at the same time starts a countdown timer from 3. When you see this then you have pressed the correct buttons. The display panel will flash “cooling off” message and the compressor will not run. I currently have mine plugged into 120v 15amp and the cooling mode is not running. The second button is labeled “ lock” I can’t remember the label for the far right button. FYI it’s very sensitive that both buttons be pressed at exactly the same time to get the countdown started.
ianpemb is offline   Reply With Quote