Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-01-2020, 07:11 PM   #1

I need a sanity check-

I've had possession of a 2021 Precept 31UL for less than one week.

Are the amount of problems normal for a new coach? I've always bought used. Maybe for a reason.

1) Cabinet getting "ripped" off the wall by the Slide.
2) Motorized bed above the Cab is currently stuck down.
3) Water tank unable to fill past 2/3.
4) Water pump unable to pump past a real good dribble.
5) Backup camera quit.
6) Cable TV wiring defective (unable to get anything but HD/DVD).
7) Various hose fittings under the coach leaking water profusely.
8) Drivers side convex mirror unable to hols position.
9) Main slide topper unable to open.
10) Forced air heater Fan quit.
11) Several drawers that don't stay closed while driving.
12) Refrigerator Circuit board malfunction.

I'm dreading what will be next.
Roadbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 07:59 PM   #2

Welcome to the JOF but sorry to hear about your issues.
I realize the horse is already out of the barn but I need to ask anyway. Did you take this coach for a test drive prior to purchasing? Did you do a thorough PDI before driving it off the dealer’s lot? It seems like some of these issues should have been found before you ever left the dealer.
But now that it’s yours the joy of working out the warranty wrinkles begins. You’re a long way from Middlebury so you’re going to have to either work with your dealer or another shop with prior approval from Jayco or else be really handy. Good luck whichever route you take and hopefully it won’t be too long before you actually have the MH you thought you had purchased.
Old 11-01-2020, 08:20 PM   #3

Thanks for the thoughts!
Yes, I did a test drive & I thought a through PDI. I guess I believed the dealer tech who walked me through it all. The Mirror didn't revel itself until about 50mi into the drive home. The water pressure didn't show until I tried to take a shower. Most of the rest showed up on the first overnight outing. The cabinet was dragging during the PDI and the dealer was working on the water leaks & the refrigerator during the PDI & they said they were fixed.

In hindsight, I did not walk away until they were all fixed.
Roadbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 08:48 PM   #4

Having issues with a new coach is fairly normal. Some have more issues than others.

1) Cabinet getting "ripped" off the wall by the Slide. You hear about this issue from time to time. Often the issue is a door or drawer is left open and causes all kinds of issues
2) Motorized bed above the Cab is currently stuck down. I have not heard of this issue before. I bet there is a sensor (mechanical contact switch), that has falled, or is out of alignment. Maybe something snagged on it. I would look around ofr it
3) Water tank unable to fill past 2/3. Tank sensors are notoriously poor.
In this case, it may not be fully connected. I bet this is related to #7

4) Water pump unable to pump past a real good dribble. Good chance there is construction debris in the system. If you are having issues at all faucets, I would start at the pump inlet there is a filter screen. Remove the cover and clean the screen. If it is just at one or two faucets, remove the aerator and clean it. Most showers have a cone filter/screen on the inlet to the head.
5) Backup camera quit. Not familiar you backup cameras. But I have heard of issues with them
6) Cable TV wiring defective (unable to get anything but HD/DVD). Hopefully others can jump in here. There is a amplifier switch that might need to be turned on. I removed my TV years ago, and don't have any TV issues.
7) Various hose fittings under the coach leaking water profusely. When does it leak? Where you connected to city water? Was it while filling the FW tank?
There is at least one vent/overflow pipe under the coach. When the tank is full, it will spill water. This is how I know my tank if full. It will puke water for a while. Sometimes pending on the piping it can siphon the FW tank dry. This is a common complant.

8) Drivers side convex mirror unable to hold position. No help here.
I have not hear of this issue, but I have experienced this issue with other vehicles

9) Main slide topper unable to open. Not good. Hopefully someone can jump in here
10) Forced air heater Fan quit.was this for the gas furnace or the roof top heat pump? Often people have issues with the controls at first. Hopefully someone will jump in here too.
11) Several drawers that don't stay closed while driving.I had this issue.
Dealer fixed it while fixing a few other things. Usually this is an easy fix

12) Refrigerator Circuit board malfunction.What Frig do you have?
I have not heard of it on the larger 12cu ft frigs (assuming that you have that).
Frig boards and water heater boards to fail. Seems like when the fail it is within the first year.

Hopefully you have a good dealer with a good service center. Be glad you have a 2 year warranty.

If I recall my TT, went into the dealer after my first 3 trips for warranty items. I had the TT back within a week in each case. I have/had a great dealer!

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 04:59 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to jaycojay Send a message via MSN to jaycojay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rice1951 View Post
Welcome to the JOF but sorry to hear about your issues.
I realize the horse is already out of the barn but I need to ask anyway. Did you take this coach for a test drive prior to purchasing? Did you do a thorough PDI before driving it off the dealer’s lot? It seems like some of these issues should have been found before you ever left the dealer.
But now that it’s yours the joy of working out the warranty wrinkles begins. You’re a long way from Middlebury so you’re going to have to either work with your dealer or another shop with prior approval from Jayco or else be really handy. Good luck whichever route you take and hopefully it won’t be too long before you actually have the MH you thought you had purchased.

A thorough PDI is the responsibility of the selling dealer. No different than a New Car Dealer, the factory pays the dealership to inspect the vehicle when it lands on the dealers lot. The technician has a check list they must go over, and RV's are no different. Problem is, and i'm sure it's no different than the auto industry, good techs are becoming very hard to find ..... so get used to it, sorry to say, gonna get worse before it gets better. My advice to you, take your list, take it back to the dealer, say i don't want it back till every item on the list is corrected ..... and yes, get Jayco involved. That many issues is not right, there are no excuses. Like a new car, when u pick up your new RV, the walk through is to show you how things work, not lets see if they work!
Old 11-02-2020, 04:11 PM   #6

Unfortunately RV dealers are not like new car dealers. A reputable and reliable RV dealer will have a knowledgeable tech provide a thorough PDI and explain everything but as too many new buyers have discovered all RV dealers are not equal. And that is why the onus is on the purchaser to make sure that the PDI is as thorough as it needs to be.