Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-26-2021, 08:41 PM   #1

I-Pad for navigation

Has anyone tried using an I-Pad for a navigation screen? Like everyone else I don't like the Sound Stream at all. Now that I have a few thousand miles on my 2020 Precept 31UL it has to go. I have read the threads on replacing it with multiple systems/screens. I just ordered the Tire Minder TPMS that uses a phone app to monitor pressures and temp. There are multiple apps for the I-Pad that are compatible with I phones.

Thanks
hopnhic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 03:55 AM   #2

That's the first thing I tried..... i.e, it was about a 7" iPad. But I was using google maps and didn't like it. I know there's other apps for RV nav, but when doing my research, the Garmin RV specific model (where you load in the Rig's weight, length, tow, height, etc) was the way to go for me. The Garmin also has RV sites, dump, etc. Here's my link showing what/how I installed.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...34g-81805.html

Good Luck,
Mark
Old 03-27-2021, 05:07 AM   #3

I am in the midst of converting my electronics on 2020 31UL. Went with a Sony head unit with Apple car play, Garmin RV1090 for navigation and camera monitoring and RVI Toad braking system with tire pressure monitoring which has its own tablet like display. I also purchased separate speakers for the large tv. This is not the inexpensive option! I’m hoping when everything is installed I will have the best of all available options. I originally tried using my IPad for navigation and it was less than optimal.
Joedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 07:02 AM   #4

Tried that in another rig and also tried the iPhone. Cell phone/data signal drops caused it to quit working especially on roads lined with trees and other forms of overhead cover.

Went with a Rand McNally. RV GPS and it sucked. Took me down to many narrow streets and alleys. I sold it to an independent long haul trucker

Been using the Garmin RV770 for about 3 years now. No issues out of this one.

Agree, the Sound Stream navigation sucks. It is almost as bad as the RM system I had.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 07:43 AM   #5

Just got a Garmin RV 890. Been setting up routes. Really like what it's capabilities are.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 05:49 PM   #6

Thanks for all the input. I'm leaning towards replacing the Sound Stream with a good radio, and getting a separate RV specific GPS and a separate camera monitor. I'd like to mount the camera monitor low directly in front of the driver on the dashboard, the GPS over the current radio compartment in a removeable mount so my navigator and and mission commander (i.e., wife) can make inputs and look up points of interest.

The Garmin 890 seems like the best bang for the $$. I'm having trouble finding a wired camera monitor for three or four inputs. Or should I go the wireless route and replace the three cameras? This is getting just like all the BOATs I've had, Bring Out Another Thousand! Decisions decisions...
Old 03-27-2021, 06:07 PM   #7

Mark, I have re-read your upgrade thread and you mention a single monitor and GPS upgrade, but I can't find the specifics. What monitor did you use for the camera's?

You have already cost me some $$ as I added 2 LiOn batteries for the coach, Go Power Weekender Solar kit (190 watt panel and 30 amp controller), extend a stay adapter and hoses to my propane system. My Tire Minder TPMS is ordered with 10 sensors as I will have a Toad. Also I added a battery switch to the coach batteries and a blade switch on the chassis battery to better control all the small drains/parasitic drain when the "Master Power" is off. Both coach and chassis are direct wired to solar panels to keep them topped off while in storage. The chassis battery has a dedicated 30 watt panel as it is a lead acid battery and would cook if charged at 14.2 v like the LiOn's.
Old 03-27-2021, 06:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopnhic View Post

You have already cost me some $$

That made me chuckle. Since I found this Jayco Forum some years ago I have made one mod after another that have cost me more than a few bucks, but each one has improved my trailer and camping experience. The biggest improvement has been improving the efficiency of my AC.

I also upgraded my GPS to the Garmin RV 785 with a built in dash cam. I am still learning all of it's features, but it is far superior to my previous unit.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/66...21547#overview

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 04:05 AM   #9

Quote:
Mark, I have re-read your upgrade thread and you mention a single monitor and GPS upgrade, but I can't find the specifics. What monitor did you use for the camera's?

You have already cost me some $$ as I added 2 LiOn batteries for the coach, Go Power Weekender Solar kit (190 watt panel and 30 amp controller), extend a stay adapter and hoses to my propane system. My Tire Minder TPMS is ordered with 10 sensors as I will have a Toad. Also I added a battery switch to the coach batteries and a blade switch on the chassis battery to better control all the small drains/parasitic drain when the "Master Power" is off. Both coach and chassis are direct wired to solar panels to keep them topped off while in storage. The chassis battery has a dedicated 30 watt panel as it is a lead acid battery and would cook if charged at 14.2 v like the LiOn's.
Hopnhic,
I'm sure the info is in my thread somewhere.... but here's the link: https://www.rearviewsafety.com/safet...r-monitor.html

I used the 3 cameras Jayco installed and all works great. I only use 3 of the 4 camera inputs. They are perfectly clear. images.. I display all three while driving and the trigger inputs (i.e., rev, left or right signal) causes the triggered camera to fill the entire screen.

Hope that helps.

Mark
Old 03-28-2021, 11:46 AM   #10

Camera Monitor

We put our camera's on a separate monitor, and it works great.
Monitor: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cables (3): https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails
Camera Monitor.jpg   Alante Cockpit.jpg  
SonOfOdin59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 09:08 AM   #11

I have used my iPad as a navigation tool. I used CoPilot GPS as the navigation software because it downloads the maps to the iPad and did not require a Cell or WIFI connection for navigation. However, maps will need to be updated over a cell or WiFi connection. I never paid for a map update. I did find that CoPilot GPS was accurate. They have a version for RVs, Cars and Trucks. Looks like they changed to a subscription based product since I got mine.

If you have an iPad with a cell connection then apple maps should work as well or any other software.

Additionally, I used my iPad to monitor my tire pressure as well as other parameters using the
Stevem4134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 10:07 PM   #12

Thanks for all the replies. Decisions, decisions ...
Old 03-30-2021, 06:01 AM   #13

Garmin RV Nuvi for me. Been using them for years.

I also add bridge height POI data points into my Garmin from here:
Low Clearances

You can download bridge height points of interest alerts based on the height of your rig. Belt/Suspenders approach.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 07:56 AM   #14

Quote:
Has anyone tried using an I-Pad for a navigation screen? Like everyone else I don't like the Sound Stream at all. Now that I have a few thousand miles on my 2020 Precept 31UL it has to go. I have read the threads on replacing it with multiple systems/screens. I just ordered the Tire Minder TPMS that uses a phone app to monitor pressures and temp. There are multiple apps for the I-Pad that are compatible with I phones.

Thanks
Use I-pad and a dash mound specific to our unit. Wouldn't use anything else as it's resolution is excellent and all the other apps available cover everything needed traveling across the US. Take a look at the free Allstays app also, very useful.
Old 03-30-2021, 03:04 PM   #15

Smile

BTW we use a Garmin 785 RV
SonOfOdin59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 04:54 PM   #16

We’re on our first x-country road trip and we’ve been using RVTrip Wizard and their RV GPS tool (which allows downloading of maps) coupled with Waze. We use both on an iPad on a dash mount. The GPS tool is clearly lacking in finish compared to Google Maps & Waze but it’s supposed to generate RV safe routes. We use Waze to alert us to real time traffic incidents.
Old 04-08-2021, 05:39 PM   #17

I want to thank everyone for their help and insights into what works for them. I wound up buying a Podofo 9" TFT monitor capable of displaying up to 4 camera inputs at once (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1, and https:/) and the three cables required to hook it up https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. See Son of Odin's reply on 28 Mar above. I also decided on the Stinger Height 10 infotainment system for its 10" screen. Not the cheap solution but should have everything I want in a format my aging eyes can read. I will start with RV Trip wizard which my wife already has on her I-phone and, Waze for navigation. I'll also try the map chip from the Soundstream and see if it's compatible with the Height 10. I will monitor the 10 tires with TPMS-10 phone app. On top of everything else I purchased Saf-T Plus Steering control, https://supersteerparts.com/products...rol-white.html, and the Super Steer Rear Trac Bar, https://supersteerparts.com/products...8-22k-gvw.html and required bracket. Again, THANKS to everyone that responded to my thread especially Son of Odin and Mark ,AKA, MKASSAB. I intend to start another thread similar to Marks Upgrades to let everyone know how it all comes together.
Bruce
Old 04-16-2021, 10:52 AM   #18

Quote:
I want to thank everyone for their help and insights into what works for them. I wound up buying a Podofo 9" TFT monitor capable of displaying up to 4 camera inputs at once (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1, and https:/) and the three cables required to hook it up https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. See Son of Odin's reply on 28 Mar above. I also decided on the Stinger Height 10 infotainment system for its 10" screen. Not the cheap solution but should have everything I want in a format my aging eyes can read. I will start with RV Trip wizard which my wife already has on her I-phone and, Waze for navigation. I'll also try the map chip from the Soundstream and see if it's compatible with the Height 10. I will monitor the 10 tires with TPMS-10 phone app. On top of everything else I purchased Saf-T Plus Steering control, https://supersteerparts.com/products...rol-white.html, and the Super Steer Rear Trac Bar, https://supersteerparts.com/products...8-22k-gvw.html and required bracket. Again, THANKS to everyone that responded to my thread especially Son of Odin and Mark ,AKA, MKASSAB. I intend to start another thread similar to Marks Upgrades to let everyone know how it all comes together.
Bruce
Hey Bruce, at the end of your comments you mention the Saf-T Plus and rear trac bar. I get it on the steering stabilizer but wondering if you installed the trac bar because of handling issues or just to be pre-emptive? Mike
MikeInMaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 03:26 PM   #19

Suspension upgrades

I have 4 road trips and about 2000 miles on my 31UL. And yes, I felt I needed to improve the handling. Most notably the tendency to follow the crown of the road and the effect of big rigs passing me. After numerous inquiries about getting the most bang for the buck, both my local guy (Chucks RV and Speed Shop, Phoenix AZ), and the tech's at Super Steer recommended the combo of their radius rods and the Safety Plus Steering stabilizer.
Old 04-16-2021, 04:29 PM   #20

Quote:
I have 4 road trips and about 2000 miles on my 31UL. And yes, I felt I needed to improve the handling. Most notably the tendency to follow the crown of the road and the effect of big rigs passing me. After numerous inquiries about getting the most bang for the buck, both my local guy (Chucks RV and Speed Shop, Phoenix AZ), and the tech's at Super Steer recommended the combo of their radius rods and the Safety Plus Steering stabilizer.
Great info! Have you had a chance to put miles on it or not done the install yet? Very interested in getting your feedback on the upgrades.

Mike
MikeInMaine is offline   Reply With Quote