Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-12-2017, 05:27 PM   #1

In General, Buying a Jayco and Precept 36T

Reposted from another forum header:

Hi Folks! New to the board, new to RV's and new to Jayco! We had a Coleman pop up and found ourselves not using it very much due to the lack of room and support equipment. 4 kids, ages 2-16, and need to get to West Coast and deep south from Indiana several times per year.

Looking to "make memories", see America and give ourselves plenty of room and options.

We are diving in "head first" past all the other RV options (travel trailer, 5th wheel, class C) and after much research seem to be drawn to the Jayco Precept 36T with the bunk beds, overhead sleep area and 2 bathrooms.

A couple of questions:

1. What are your thoughts on the Jayco products and service? I've seen mixed reviews across chat boards. Is the water warm???

2. Is V-10 a good way to go vs. diesel?

3. New vs. Used. Your collective thoughts?

4. Any other makes/models we should consider in our search?

5. Any regrets on "investing in an RV"? (i.e. danger, stay clear)

Thank you in advance! Your collective inputs are greatly appreciated
widebodydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 05:51 PM   #2

Take it for a long drive on a windy day and make sure your comfortable with driving it. All manufactures have there pluses and minuses and Jayco is no different. Shop price and do not be afraid to knock the price so low that your sure they will not take it and then work up from that price.

hope that helps
Mark
ukester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 06:36 PM   #3

There are many folks on this site a whole lot smarter than me. However, the Jayco product overall is good. The two year warranty is excellent. The key between a Jayco and it service is the dealer from whom you purchase the RV. There are other RV companies out there that produce a higher quality product but they also cost a great deal more. Therefore, what are able to afford will help dictate whether you buy a Jayco or go with a company such as the Tiffin.

If you buy new, you should be able to negotiate a price 30% or more below MSRP. Look nationwide, if you are willing to drive a ways you may well find a deal that is much better than what your local dealer can offer.

So far, we have had no regrets with the purchase of our Jayco.
jkaras7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 07:26 PM   #4

Our first motorhome was a used class c. We got a barely used 7 year old rlg for a good price. No problems - we were very happy with it. We then wanted a bit more room. We started shopping for a small class a. Over the next year we looked at everything the met our needs. We then priced some new ones and found them close to the same price range as used ones. We found a 2016 leftover Alante got a nice deal on it in june. We are really enjoying it too!.

So while you're looking at used rigs - keep one eye on new prices. You might be surprised.
klspahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 06:20 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by widebodydriver View Post
1. What are your thoughts on the Jayco products and service? I've seen mixed reviews across chat boards. Is the water warm???

2. Is V-10 a good way to go vs. diesel?

3. New vs. Used. Your collective thoughts?

4. Any other makes/models we should consider in our search?

5. Any regrets on "investing in an RV"? (i.e. danger, stay clear)
New vs used: If you don't feel the need to be loyal to a local dealership, consider buying from one of the internet dealers. We bought ours from RV One. No one could come close to their price, so it was an easy decision. We picked up our 2018 Precept 35S in May. So far we've been very happy with it. A couple small problems, but most of them I fixed. We stopped in Middlebury at Jayco and had them replace a bad inverter. Almost all rv's will have a few glitches when new, most of them small and an easy fix. If you're mechanically inclined, it's a big help. I'd much rather do my own repairs than put up with a long wait at a dealer. Anything big and I'll happily drive to Middlebury.

Any other makes and models: We looked at motorhomes until we found a floor plan we liked. We enjoy cooking so a nice kitchen was very important to us, and we never found anything that could top the 35S. Storage was also big on our "needs list". Again, the 35S met our needs.

V-10 vs diesel: There are pros and cons to each and we looked at all of them. I was a Machinery Technician in the Coast Guard so I worked on both. Now I don't work on either so I'll take it somewhere for any maintenance. Diesel pros - better mileage, more power and torque, more durability, lasts longer, etc. Gas pros - cheaper maintenance, cheaper operating costs per gallon, etc. A diesel Class A is a whole lot more money to buy than a gas one, and while the diesel engine will outlast a gas engine, I can replace the gas engine several times and still come out money ahead.

Investment: You can't consider it an investment to make money. We look at ours as an investment in our lives. This is the third RV that we've used to full time in, and we are loving life. We love to travel, we get to see our kids and grandkids, see the country, etc.

Find what YOU like, make a good deal, and have a blast.
MikeThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 08:47 AM   #6

Good Post from MikeThompson very helpful.
I think the first step into buy a RV is to set a budget. Keep in mind that this is not an investment. You will not make any money of the RV. Its more the other way around. We bought from RV One. Best price!
That eliminates many RV manufacturer.
Second is the floor plan. Go and check them out. Don't rely on pictures on the internet. You have to bring your family and move around inside. See if you step on each others foot.
Third: price vs. what you get.
Now you are ready to test drive them.
Check our post http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...35s-47480.html
Sadie is offline   Reply With Quote