Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-04-2020, 09:55 AM   #1

Inner Rear Wheel Valve

On our 2020 Precept 31UL (22.5" wheels), checking tire pressure on the inner rear wheel is impossible; when I try to put the gauge on the valve, it sinks back into the rim. I sourced a slim locknut to keep it in place, but now there isn't enough "meat" on the valve for the gauge to acquire a reading. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Mickey
MRichaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 11:53 AM   #2
CAG

Many of us have gone with valve extensions and there are several threads that you can find and read through using the search feature (top of the page in the gold banner). Some have used flex and had success but there are also some leak issues with those. A good set of extensions, non-flex, can run $150 and need to be installed as a new valve stem.

I might add that the search feature can have a mind of it's own so try various wording if you don't have luck the first time.

One to start with: https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ble-62615.html

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 01:37 PM   #3

Thanks. I probably should have mentioned that the inner wheel's valve is extended to mount to access it on the outer wheel. But there seems to be no support for the valve that will allow checking tire pressure without the valve "retreating" into the rim. Which is why I tried the thin nut to lock it in place. It's as if the threaded portion of the valve is not long enough. Hope that makes a bit more sense.

I do have a Viair 12 volt compressor with a screw-on fitting that ~should~ allow filling; just want to be able to check the pressure with a tire gauge, and can't as it is now.
Old 09-04-2020, 01:38 PM   #4
Site Team

Try the custom search engine. Click on the blue link in my sig. Much better than the forum search link and it only searches this forum.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 09:11 AM   #5

You might also try going to a Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS). Some of the sensors are flow thru, which means once you screw them on, you can put air in through the sensor, solves your retreating problem. Did it on my 2018 31UL with the same inner wheel issue. It's a great safety feature, and easy to use. Getting ready for a trip I'll turn the little battery powered monitor on, while it's sensing all the tires I do some other prep work. Five minutes later I can see the pressure on all six tires.
TGoldsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 02:39 PM   #6

Viair compressor with its built-in gauge is threaded and works fine on it. I'll just have to use that to check the pressure. Probably best anyway, in case the tires are a little low - which they were this morning.
Old 09-28-2020, 07:11 PM   #7

Inner rear wheel valve

I REPLACED THE INNER WHEEL VALVES WITH 7" SOLID VALVES. HAD BAD LUCK WITH EXTENSIONS ON PREVIOUS RVs.
BOB4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 01:34 PM   #8

My inner wheel valve stem is fixed to the outer wheel and has never retreated when I checked the pressure or added air.
jaycojon is offline   Reply With Quote