Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-05-2016, 04:56 PM   #1

Installing 50amp outlet

We are thinking about having a 50amp outlet installed for our Precept. The electrician was just here and not sure what to do. Does anyone have some information on what would be needed to do this? Is it worth having it put in?

Bonnie
digbydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 05:12 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Seems you need another electrician if he doesn't know what to do?
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 05:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by digbydoo View Post
We are thinking about having a 50amp outlet installed for our Precept. The electrician was just here and not sure what to do. Does anyone have some information on what would be needed to do this? Is it worth having it put in?

Bonnie
I would suggest another electrician.
King Bed with Java Interior, (2X) Yamaha EF2000isV2
2012 Ram 4500, 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel, MegaCab = "Hagrid"
8'x12' BMCM Stake Bed, Cabin Chassis, 2WD
360 degree Virtual Tour
Fairenatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 05:19 PM   #4
Site Team

Ditto . You will need 2 50a breakers in your mains distribution panel to feed the wiring going to the location. Most electrical codes require another 2 more 50a breakers and a box and the feed point. Many get the same thing that you find in a well equipped campground. The wire gauge will be determine by the length of the run which will be 4 conductors, 2 hot wires, a neutral and a ground.

Your new electrician should know that stuff.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 06:02 PM   #5

It is a standard 50 amp line. Get a RV box at most any big box or electrical distributor. Depending on the length of run 8 ga is typical for 50 amp service. You will also need to run a neutral and a ground wire. Wire the plug per diagram included with the box. This is not like a 30 amp RV outlet which is a single pole 30 amp circuit. This is a standard 50 amp double pole circuit. If your electrician is not familiar with these, then I agree, get a new electrician. It's really not difficult at all. Good Luck

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 06:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
It is a standard 50 amp line. . This is a standard 50 amp double pole circuit. If your electrician is not familiar with these, then I agree, get a new electrician. It's really not difficult at all. Good Luck
X2
Just like an electric range
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 08:29 PM   #7

I had one put on the outside wall of my garage and it's the best thing I have ever done. When I bring my RV home I can park it in the driveway, plug it into 50 amp service and run all systems, heat, AC, etc and prepare it for a trip. It's simple to do if the electrician knows what he is doing. Get a new electrician.
Previous RVs: 3 truck campers and 2 fifth wheels
Love the Seneca. Toad 2018 Ford F-150
Mnwelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 05:11 AM   #8

50 amp

I found a 50 amp exterior box with plug at Home Depot specifically for a RV.
Rider99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 07:24 AM   #9

A friend of mine with a big D pusher had just a 30-amp installed at his house (simpler installation) and that provides enough juice for him to prep for trips. Depending on your planned use, might want to consider this option.

x3 on a different electrician
SMI Duo "Stay in Play" Braking
Barley, our Golden Retriever, on board and Buster in spirit!

McGarrett50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 08:10 AM   #10

Wow, thanks for all the info. We have 2 more electricians coming to quote. But, if all we need to do to prep for trips is the house plug, then we should be okay. We have had slide problems and the service guy who came to get it back in said the coach batteries didn't seem to be working right. We just purchased this unit on December 11, 2015 and it only had 3500 miles on it. The previous owners told me they only drove from Florida to Michigan for a trip. They also had slide problems.

So, as long as we keep the coach batteries charged we should be able to slide out the living area slide, correct? It is a Precept 29UM and that slide is long.

Old 02-06-2016, 08:48 AM   #11

When I open my slides and don't have shore power, I either start the coach's engine or run the generator. Probably not necessary to do this, but it was suggested to me that this may help the house batteries' life.
SMI Duo "Stay in Play" Braking
Barley, our Golden Retriever, on board and Buster in spirit!

McGarrett50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 09:26 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGarrett50 View Post
When I open my slides and don't have shore power, I either start the coach's engine or run the generator. Probably not necessary to do this, but it was suggested to me that this may help the house batteries' life.
Thank you. I'm guessing that it is either bad batteries or the slide itself. Someone on this forum told me Jayco had problems with units built in 2014 up until September. Ours was built in May 2014. A guy at Jayco kind of hinted to that but said all was fixed now. Hopefully they stand behind this problem, if that is what is causing the slide to stop.

We may just pass on the 50amp outlet and put that money towards a Kar Kaddy,

Bonnie

Old 02-06-2016, 09:33 AM   #13

Quote:
So, as long as we keep the coach batteries charged we should be able to slide out the living area slide, correct? It is a Precept 29UM and that slide is long.
I'm confused as usual. Trying to figure out why you can't just run a heavy duty extension cord plugged into an exterior 110 house outlet and using the proper adapters to power up the unit. 110 should run everything except air conditioners. You can run your slide in and out all day with just 110, pre-cool the fridge etc.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 10:35 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNASHVILLE View Post
I'm confused as usual. Trying to figure out why you can't just run a heavy duty extension cord plugged into an exterior 110 house outlet and using the proper adapters to power up the unit. 110 should run everything except air conditioners. You can run your slide in and out all day with just 110, pre-cool the fridge etc.
You are correct. We thought it might be needed since we had so much trouble with the slide. Christmas Day we wanted to open it to show our son and DIL and it stopped after going out 12" and wouldn't come back in. I had the coach engine running. A service man worked and worked to get it back it. He thinks the coach batteries are bad and the previous owner told us one of them had a broken something or other in it. My DH would know the term but he is at RV store learning how to de-winterize, assuming we get it back before next fall!

They have had it for 2 1/2 weeks already and no call as to problem. They also told us they don't do warranty work from March 1 to November 1. If you are that busy wouldn't you work at least 5 days a week?

Bonnie

Old 02-09-2016, 09:40 AM   #15

We had a 30amp service installed when we had a TT, Now that we have a Precept 35UN, it still works out great, We really never have any intention to run both AC units when it's park next to our home, so the 30amp service gives us plenty of juice to prep for trips. I leave it plugged in all the time when at home.
nma33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 11:15 PM   #16

Quote:

Bonnie
One thing to look for if it is not too late...
Make sure the outlet box and cover is big enough to accept the newer larger plugs with handles. the outlet box we had installed was too small for our extension cord plugs. I had to trim the opening to make them larger.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote