Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-24-2018, 07:14 AM   #1

Installing Dish on roof

I have a 2016 Jayco Precept 35S and want to install a Dish antenna on the roof. The dealer told me the cables are in the roof and I have to drill a hole in the roof to access them, but never gave me the location. Can anyone tell me the correct location.
Brew2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 07:36 AM   #2
Site Team

Before you put in all the work of installing it on the roof, do you park in shaded areas?

We were in CO a few years ago and all those mega-buck($$$) RV's that had the Sat Dish antenna mounted on the roof and they all were using ground DISH antennas.

Something to think about

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 09:03 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
Before you put in all the work of installing it on the roof, do you park in shaded areas?

We were in CO a few years ago and all those mega-buck($$$) RV's that had the Sat Dish antenna mounted on the roof and they all were using ground DISH antennas.

Something to think about

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Same reason I never mounted mine. I have a platform attachment for mine attached to the ladder on the back, but there have been times I had to move the satellite all the way to the front of the trailer to get signal due to trees. Please think about where you are going to be before you permanently mount it to your RV.

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 11:47 AM   #4

They have given something to really consider. If you decide to install it on your roof email Jayco at motorizedservice@jayco.com and tell them what you own and what you are looking to do and they will send you schematics of your mh to assist.
Old 01-24-2018, 12:06 PM   #5
Site Team

Most that I know that have them also carry a portable just in case they can't get the sat.
I don't get the point of the roof ones expense if you have to carry the portable anyway.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 06:02 AM   #6

Just installed the KVH antenna on the roof. About 2 hours to do it. It was a quick call to the local Jayco dealer for the exact location. All the wiring was within about 8 inches of the location that I used. I love the roof mount. Now need to sell my carry out. The trees sometimes can be an issue, but not often.
Mustang429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 10:53 AM   #7

I don't use sat TV but did use both of the OEM cables for a Wi-Fi antenna and outside cell antenna, CS at Jayco sent me the location of the cables and I found them within a couple of inches of where they said. I first frilled a small hole and used a fish hook to find them before drilling the larger one.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 06:25 AM   #8

Ladder Mount?

We purchased the DISH playmaker over Christmas.ifs light weight (7lbs) Having some issues getting great signal in some parks and would love ideas on a ladder mount. Last trip out we Literally bungee corded it to the roof top at top of ladder)😳. I see some of you mention Ladder Mounts Did you make them yourself?
I’d love some input on where to find them or “how you made your own”?
We have the 2015 Pinnacle.
Thanks so much for your help!
BlessedGirlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 06:40 AM   #9

Do a GOOGLE search Winegard Ladder Mount.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:42 PM   #10

I had a Winegard RoadTrip T4 installed on roof, with two satellite lines Going from roof unit, down into roof at the air conditioner, and emerging inside in dedicated outlet marked Sat Line 1 and Sat Line 2,in the upper cabinet where power for TV is located.
Cost me $500 to have installer do it, but I figured money well spent to do it right the first time. I use Bell receiver and so far have had no problems maintaining constant signal while on the road. You need to leave the inverter on while travelling to keep the receiver in touch with satellites.
Good luck. My RV is an Alante31P.
Eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote