Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-20-2016, 06:45 PM   #1

Inverter Questions

Have a new 31UL with all of 3 days experience under my belt. Love it so far and have resolved most of my questions. However, I am not sure if the inverter is working properly. When running off battery power I assumed that the inverter would feed current to the outlets. That doesn't appear to be true. Where is the inverter and is there an on/off switch? I see an inverter monitor in the kitchen cabinet but when the battery voltage shows (12.7) there is no output current according to the display when selected and the indicator light is yellow. I'd sure appreciate any help. This is a great RV but the manual is another case all together - It seems to be a listing of features but little guidance of where/how and under what conditions things work or fail to work.
jhawkwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 06:49 PM   #2

Outlets require 120 volt connection to operate. Your MW, AC require 120 volts to operate also. Your lights operate off 12volts.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 07:26 PM   #3

On my Greyhawk, the inverter only feeds the outlet for the TV above the bunk. The inverter may not feed all of your outlets.
Old 05-22-2016, 01:27 PM   #4

The inverter may also power your microwave. The inverter is only 1000 watts or 8 amps not too much.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 01:49 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
The inverter may also power your microwave. The inverter is only 1000 watts or 8 amps not too much.
1000 watts is 8.3 amps for 110VAC, but it is 83 Amps from your battery(s).. (1000watts / 12VDC = 83 Amps)

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 02:08 PM   #6

I wasn't talking about the battery I was talking about the output from the inverter. The post was about what the inverter powers not the amp hour draw on the battery.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 06:51 PM   #7

jhawkwest -- The inverter on the 2015 31UL only powers the dinette TV and the outlets on the side of the passenger seat. If yours in a 2016, I'd think it's the same but maybe they made some changes. A quick call to Jayco CS should answer your question if not here.
SMI Duo "Stay in Play" Braking
Barley, our Golden Retriever, on board and Buster in spirit!

McGarrett50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 01:07 AM   #8

The inverter only powers a few outlets, one being the TV. I turned on the inverter and took a test light and plugged it into all my outlets to see which ones worked. Only the main TV and the ones in the passenger side of coach to charge the phones and maybe run a computer while driving. It will not run the AC, Refrigerator, Microwave, or any other outlets. Will not run the bedroom TV either.
Djtommysr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 06:06 AM   #9

There should have been a separate book for the inverter. The yellow light and battery voltage are the default indicators when not on shore power. If the inverter is on with shore power you still get battery voltage and a green light. You will not see any output current unless it is under a load when scrolling. If you get a red light there is a fault.

Tags
electrical system, inverter, power panel