Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-06-2019, 01:59 PM   #1

ISO AWD Toad

Anyone getting ready to sell their tow car? We are thinking 4 wheel/AWD behind Precept 31 UL. Thank you.
icantpickem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 02:57 PM   #2

Careful with AWD. AFAIK, most AWD vehicles are not flat-towable.

My Jeep Grand Cherokee is flat towable because it is 4WD and has a true 2-speed transfer case that can be shifted into Neutral. The "lowest level" transfer case in the Grand Cherokee line does not have a low-range, and thus cannot attain true neutral, and thus cannot be towed 4-down.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 07:56 AM   #3

2014 and prior Honda CRV's are all wheel drive and flat towable and the second most popular vehicle to TOAD.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 08:06 AM   #4

We have a GMC Terrain and it along with its sister model the Equinox AWD and FWD are towable 4-down.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 08:23 AM   #5

Here's a link to Motorhome Magazine's "Dinghy Guides"

Downloadable Dinghy Towing Guides | MotorHome Magazine

It's a good "one-stop-shop" resource for finding out which vehicles are flat-towable.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 02-10-2019, 05:59 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Careful with AWD. AFAIK, most AWD vehicles are not flat-towable.

My Jeep Grand Cherokee is flat towable because it is 4WD and has a true 2-speed transfer case that can be shifted into Neutral. The "lowest level" transfer case in the Grand Cherokee line does not have a low-range, and thus cannot attain true neutral, and thus cannot be towed 4-down.
We had a terrain and that we towed for about 5 years. $ to setup but was good, about 3800 lbs
dgantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 06:41 AM   #7
Site Team

Check our Classifieds. There may be one already equipped to tow.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:11 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgantz View Post
We had a terrain and that we towed for about 5 years. $ to setup but was good, about 3800 lbs
Yeah, I'm about to drop some serious coin on making my Jeep towable. I'm fully capable of installing myself, so at least I'll save the cost of labor, and it'll be done the way I want it done with no hacking and a clean install.

The JGC comes in a bit heavier than a Terrain/Equinox, but it shouldn't be a problem. And I like the JGC better as a daily driver. That was the "compromise"; it's pulling DD duty FAR more than it's pulling Toad duty. So I needed a vehicle that I enjoyed driving every day AND could be flat towed. I almost gave up before I discovered that JGC was in my budget! Now I have a really comfortable vehicle for my family, it's a pretty darn capable off-road machine, it's downright luxurious by my standards, AND I can tow it behind the MH.

Everyone's decision matrix is different though. That's why the Dinghy guide is so useful.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 02-11-2019, 05:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Yeah, I'm about to drop some serious coin on making my Jeep towable. I'm fully capable of installing myself, so at least I'll save the cost of labor, and it'll be done the way I want it done with no hacking and a clean install.

The JGC comes in a bit heavier than a Terrain/Equinox, but it shouldn't be a problem. And I like the JGC better as a daily driver. That was the "compromise"; it's pulling DD duty FAR more than it's pulling Toad duty. So I needed a vehicle that I enjoyed driving every day AND could be flat towed. I almost gave up before I discovered that JGC was in my budget! Now I have a really comfortable vehicle for my family, it's a pretty darn capable off-road machine, it's downright luxurious by my standards, AND I can tow it behind the MH.

Everyone's decision matrix is different though. That's why the Dinghy guide is so useful.
We did the same last summer on a new trailhead and we love it. Last I checked they still don't make the taillight/brake harness that runs from the input plg to the rear. I'm using a wireless light setup.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgantz View Post
We did the same last summer on a new trailhead and we love it. Last I checked they still don't make the taillight/brake harness that runs from the input plg to the rear. I'm using a wireless light setup.
That's Cherokee Trailhawk
Old 02-12-2019, 07:30 AM   #11

Quote:

We had a Jeep Wrangler and it was fine as a toad. But i came to the same conclusion that I wanted a pleasant daily driver. Jgc does that. I installed the blue ox stuff myself and only needed a hand with the front fascia in taking off and putting on since it's bulky. Bought my jgc about 60% off sticker at one year old. It's the overland with air suspension which is pretty cool.
I finally found the integrated light setup so I just plug in at the grill no exterior lights.
hawkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 10:01 PM   #12

Agree. Just picked up a 2017 GC Limited for the same reasons.

2014 Seneca 37FS
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
AaronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 09:14 AM   #13

Jumping in on this topic late, I am researching to get rid of my dolly and tow flat. I have it narrowed down to a used 2015 or newer Jeep Cherokee or a used 2016 or newer Buick Envision.

I have read that 2018 and older Cherokee's suffer from "the death wobble",(not the 2019), when flat towing because of the electronic assist steering. Correct me if I am wrong but Jeep or 3rd party has addressed this with a wiring kit/device to stop this. However, I am also finding this part is no where to be found.

Any input on either veh would be appreciated.

JohnyNorthland
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 05:13 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnynorthland View Post
Jumping in on this topic late, I am researching to get rid of my dolly and tow flat. I have it narrowed down to a used 2015 or newer Jeep Cherokee or a used 2016 or newer Buick Envision.

I have read that 2018 and older Cherokee's suffer from "the death wobble",(not the 2019), when flat towing because of the electronic assist steering. Correct me if I am wrong but Jeep or 3rd party has addressed this with a wiring kit/device to stop this. However, I am also finding this part is no where to be found.

Any input on either veh would be appreciated.

JohnyNorthland
You are correct. The Jeep dealer can get the wiring kit and install it. Not sure if it's available elsewhere.
hawkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 08:51 AM   #15

We have q 2013 Durango AWD Crew edition that is flat towable. It has the 2spd transfer case. It's pretty heavy at 4900 pounds, but we really like the Durango as it also has a 7200 pound towing capacity.
supereri is offline   Reply With Quote