Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-03-2021, 09:21 AM   #1

J-Ride Suspension

I'm new to this forum and this is my first post. I have a 2016 Jayco Alante with J-Ride suspension. I've had the suspension inspected by the dealer and they tell me there's nothing wrong or broken, but this thing sways and rocks like crazy. It looks like the right side droops about 2-3 inches lower than the left side, especially the rear wheel. The power step almost touches the ground when it's extended! I have tried balancing the load and am well within the weight limits, I carry a minimal amount of water, and usually only my wife and me on board (and we're not large people! 🤣&#129315. If I hit a small dip on the right side of the road it gets downright scary! I'm not a wimp when it comes to driving a large vehicle and this is my first Class A, but this does not seem right. Some times my right mud flap will scrape the ground. I was looking at investing a lot of money to upgrade the suspension, but after reading up on the J-Ride suspension system I see it already includes some of the upgrades I was planning. Any ideas??
Driver BLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 10:32 AM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to Foretm
I would do the following if I were in your shoes:

1. Rear Trac-bar - Will help alot with the side to side sway. This will keep the rear axle from moving laterally under the house. Reduces the push from passing trucks, etc. https://supersteerparts.com/products...8-22k-gvw.html Make sure to get the one for your chassis, this is just an example.

2. Steering Stabilizer - Will help tighten up the steering and reduce the rut tracking a good bit. Also helps tremendously in a front tire blowout. https://www.safe-t-plus.com/

3. Suspension shop to add a leaf to the side that is drooping.

After this is done, I would drive it and see what issues if any you have left. Beyond this, some people replace the shocks, add sumo springs, additional or upgraded sway bars, etc... At this point its personal preference, but these items should get this riding much better.
Foretm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 01:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver BLee View Post
I'm new to this forum and this is my first post. I have a 2016 Jayco Alante with J-Ride suspension. I've had the suspension inspected by the dealer and they tell me there's nothing wrong or broken, but this thing sways and rocks like crazy. It looks like the right side droops about 2-3 inches lower than the left side, especially the rear wheel. The power step almost touches the ground when it's extended! I have tried balancing the load and am well within the weight limits, I carry a minimal amount of water, and usually only my wife and me on board (and we're not large people! 🤣&#129315. If I hit a small dip on the right side of the road it gets downright scary! I'm not a wimp when it comes to driving a large vehicle and this is my first Class A, but this does not seem right. Some times my right mud flap will scrape the ground. I was looking at investing a lot of money to upgrade the suspension, but after reading up on the J-Ride suspension system I see it already includes some of the upgrades I was planning. Any ideas??
Thanks for your post. When I was test driving the 21 Precent 34G I felt like it was leaning towards the passenger side (which is where the full length slide is) but didn't think much about it until now.
wisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 01:39 PM   #4

Doesn't sound right. Too much flex/give.

I'd start by measuring distance from sidewall to ground on both sides in front or behind the rear wheel and verify if it is leaning from one side more than the other.

Do you see wear on the mud flap on both sides from scraping or just one?

Just thinking about it, have you checked the air pressure in all the rear tires? One of my rear tires had no air pressure for 8hr trip home picking the unit up from the dealer (before I had a TMPS). 1 of the rear tires in the rear had 15psi and unit behaved similar to what you are experiencing. Whole way home I was pushed around by TTs, it would wobble pretty good and two hands welded to the steering wheel. After that was fixed (leaky extension) it was 1000x better.
Old 05-03-2021, 05:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foretm View Post
I would do the following if I were in your shoes:

1. Rear Trac-bar - Will help alot with the side to side sway. This will keep the rear axle from moving laterally under the house. Reduces the push from passing trucks, etc. https://supersteerparts.com/products...8-22k-gvw.html Make sure to get the one for your chassis, this is just an example.

2. Steering Stabilizer - Will help tighten up the steering and reduce the rut tracking a good bit. Also helps tremendously in a front tire blowout. https://www.safe-t-plus.com/

3. Suspension shop to add a leaf to the side that is drooping.

After this is done, I would drive it and see what issues if any you have left. Beyond this, some people replace the shocks, add sumo springs, additional or upgraded sway bars, etc... At this point its personal preference, but these items should get this riding much better.

I can’t argue with any of your recommendations but in this case it seems to me that something is wrong....very wrong.

I would first unload the entire unit of everything including water and holding tanks and get some measurements on all 4 corners to ground and see where you are at. A road test at that point would be another step to determine if the unloaded unit is operating properly. If not, I would get it into a Ford truck shop or Indy truck service center to determine if there is anything wrong with the suspension.

You could have a broken spring, bad shocks or other issues that are not apparent to you. This does not sound like it is safe to operate at this point so please beware!

Hope this helps.....

MikeInMaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 12:40 PM   #6

Well, I may have found at least part of my problem. I decided to inspect the suspension myself after a rough drive this past weekend. I found the right rear sway bar bracket is MISSING! The end is attached to the frame but where it's supposed to attach to the axle is just floating in space. This is after Camping Worlds pre-sale inspection and another inspection I requested because of the handling issues. I'm not an ase-certified mechanic and I found this in about 2 minutes! Any idea where I can source a sway bar bracket?
Old 05-04-2021, 01:37 PM   #7

I found the bracket at Allstate Ford Trucks in Louisville. They actually have it in stock!
Old 05-04-2021, 01:40 PM   #8

I think I would try Ford directly... Maybe contact a Ford Truck service center and ask them how to get that part. I'm sure they can get it for you. The other thing you can do is to look into an aftermarket rear sway bar, alot of times they come with everything you need, but that would only be if you plan to upgrade the sway bar.
Old 05-04-2021, 01:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver BLee View Post
I found the bracket at Allstate Ford Trucks in Louisville. They actually have it in stock!

Awesome... I think that may help with the sway, but as far as the sag, i'm not sure it will help much. I think I would do what Mike suggested and unload the rig and take some measurements after you fix this issue.
Old 05-04-2021, 02:17 PM   #10

I totally plan to do that. I'm picking the bracket up tonight and will do all the measurements before I install it and then after just to see if there's a big difference. I also plan to take a picture to see where that sway bar goes when I take it off the levelers. I still plan to install a rear aux sway bar kit and new bump stops. I'm also considering a help spring.
Old 05-05-2021, 12:28 PM   #11

We have a 2021 Alante 27a that has shaken from day 1. It was determined it had 3 defective tires - we changed all the tires out. Took it on the interstate and the violent shaking was still there AND we now have a warning light on the dash. I really want to love this experience as I really do love the coach, but I don't feel safe in it right now. I didn't think about the J-ride suspension and will definitely ask about that when it goes in for service next week.
Asdiner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
j-ride, suspension, sway control