Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-09-2019, 09:04 PM   #1

January Travel Tips?

We are contemplating leaving CT in January and heading South to FL then New Mexico. Our 29' Precept is currently winterized. It will take several days to get far enough South to avoid freezing. Any tips on how to winterize day-to-day would be appreciated. I am contemplating traveling with a small compressor to blow out the water lines. Also, any recommendations on RV parks along the East Coast (I-95) that are open in January?
Frisbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 10:55 PM   #2

We just leave our 5 wheel winterized and use the campground bathhouse. We get n late and wake early to get on the road early. Just makes the operation much quicker.
ceasare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 07:15 AM   #3

Agree with ceasare. We do a winter departure each year and simply elect to leave our Precept winterized until we reach favorable temperatures. When it's freezing cold outside the last thing you will want to be fiddling around with is water and a compressor.

Can't help with the places to stay, but for our route I did a fair bit of preplanning and was able to pull up enough park information to find a list of open places.

Good luck and safe travels.
Riptorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 07:18 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceasare View Post
We just leave our 5 wheel winterized and use the campground bathhouse. We get n late and wake early to get on the road early. Just makes the operation much quicker.
I'm with you. I might dump some anti freeze in the gray and black tank if they are being used any. Have a jug of water handy to flush pot. Bottled drinking water or for cooking. Electric blanket and a couple of electric heaters. I do this trip only I have shorter distances to Florida. From KY I leave in freezing and my first night in Huntsville is usually ok. So by warm weather I will sanitize lines and fresh water tank.
hawkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 07:27 AM   #5

Same here. We leave Maine in January and it takes two days to get far enough south to dewinterize.

We use the campground bathhouse as well.

we tend to avoid I 95 so can't help you there . We leave CT via way of 84 and then 81 to 77 and down through( around) Charlotte NC

We can always find open campgrounds. Some State Parks have quite nice facilities in GA and SC. KOA;s have quite a few open campgrounds.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 10:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkster View Post
I'm with you. I might dump some anti freeze in the gray and black tank if they are being used any. Have a jug of water handy to flush pot. Bottled drinking water or for cooking. Electric blanket and a couple of electric heaters. I do this trip only I have shorter distances to Florida. From KY I leave in freezing and my first night in Huntsville is usually ok. So by warm weather I will sanitize lines and fresh water tank.
Buddy of mine does a similar thing. Carrys a few gallons of water in jugs. For flushing the toilet, he uses cheap windshield washer fluid. Once he hits warm weather, he stays at a site with full hookups, sanitizes and rinses the system. He has been doing this for 10 years. When he returns, he'll winterizing some where in route.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 11:45 AM   #7

I installed isolation valves on my water heater supply lines so we start the trip with the heater drained. Use the water as normal except for the hot. I have a small heater in the wet bay that keeps the sanicon and water lines warm enough to prevent freezing.

Places stay on 95
Cherry hill north of Washington DC
Kings dominion koa just north of Richmond
Fayetteville rv park in nc.
These all used to be year round but have not checked recently.

I would probably make a long day of it and go to richmond. Gets you around Washington if you leave early enough you can get through midday and then relax.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 12:43 PM   #8

You can carry a couple of bottles of pink antifreeze along and use it for "emergency" flushes. You might be able to dilute it somewhat if temps are going to dip below 32 but not super cold.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 03:38 PM   #9

I agree with the previous comments about using campground facilities and water jugs till far enough into the warmer climes.

As to I-95 and DC. I live in this area and the last place I want to travel is 95 around DC. Coming from up north I put Stevensville, MD in my GPS to get me on US 301 to the Bay Bridge. Once near the bridge put in Bowling Green, VA to keep you on 301 until you can rejoin 95 just above Richmond. This route, while it has traffic lights isn't the DC and Baltimore Beltway. Also take the I-295 Beltway at Richmond.

Right now there is construction on the Bay Bridge, but it normally isn't too bad if you avoid rush hour timing and the run down 301 is pretty straight forward and civilized.

I can't help on campgrounds above Richmond but below there we haven't had any problems. South 40 below Petersburgh has heated water pipes and is year round. RV Parky is a good guide.
Jim Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 05:23 PM   #10

January departure

We have always left for Florida and other southern statesthe last week of December or mid January from just north of Watertown NY on the Canadian side with our DP water lines blown and antifreeze in drains from -30 to -10 . We would always carry a jug of antifreeze for emergency flushes.
We have always stayed in rv parks with our first stop near Hershey PA were the site is open year round right off 81 we normally are able to flush system and keep heat on when we make our way to South Carolina border were we camp and fully sanitize and open up all plumbing system, ready for last day of travel.
On way back we always make sure to reverse our steps and winterrize in SC
This as been problem free for the past 8 years for us
Gc bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 07:17 PM   #11

Travel tips

Thank you ALL for the great advice! Some really good tips. Thanks again and safe travels to all!
Frisbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 06:51 AM   #12

[QUOTE=RVermont;808860]I installed isolation valves on my water heater supply lines so we start the trip with the heater drained. Use the water as normal except for the hot. I have a small heater in the wet bay that keeps the sanicon and water lines warm enough to prevent freezing.

What kind of wet bay heater did you install, and how did you do it please?
I assume it is only on when you are docked?
Thanks!
Sheltietreasure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 02:32 PM   #13

We have traveled multiple times between Florida and New Mexico during the winter months. We live in New Mexico, near Albuquerque, and have never pumped antifreeze into our systems. We blow out the lines before the first freeze, then add antifreeze to the traps and black/gray tanks. Usually if the temps drop while we are traveling, we figure the heat from the trailer will keep everything from freezing. Plus, they generally warm back up by mid-morning at these latitudes. However, we are prepare to blow out the lines with a portable compressor if necessary. So far we haven't had to do this. We always carry extra drinking water too just in case.
marciaandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 08:39 PM   #14

New Mexico

Btw, unless you are in southern New Mexico (Las Cruces or Demming) you will have freezing temperatures most nights in January.
Tankfab is offline   Reply With Quote