Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-01-2017, 07:57 PM   #21

Our 26AY was pretty good from the start, but it did have the jarring hit from something as small as concrete joints which gets old after awhile. After adjusting tire pressure and CHF it was time to try something to stop being hammered with every bump. I found a pair of discontinued Sumo Solos for the front (SSF-186-40), super easy to install and WOW what a big difference - it’s like a normal vehicle now. I now have almost no push from passing trucks and no drift during normal driving. I’m very pleased with the improvements. I think a set of Sumos on the rear will smooth out the back and complete the job.

I did notice that there is a different feel to front end, the Solos create a slight bounce on larger bumps.
klspahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 08:53 PM   #22

Not sure how just the Sumo's could 'soften' up the front end as the main issue is too stiff of a spring set, the Sumo's would improve support, & sway but they should not do much of anything to mitigate the harsh and hard ride. I do plan on installing the Sumo's on the rear as my AY loads a lot of cargo towards the rear causing some sag. The only thing I can think of is the SUMO'S 3K lb @ 50% compression lifts the front a bit and allows the Sumo's to dampen the travel before the leaf springs come into play.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 08:48 AM   #23

Well, they do! The Sumos are slightly compressed at rest. I didn’t expect it to help this much. It also reduces body lean and it now handles better around corners. I consider the suspension alterations to be complete - when the rear Sumos are on.
klspahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 06:33 PM   #24

Air Suspension on Alante - UPDATE

OK, first, the videos are a no go, seems the camera didn't record on the way back from the shop, major bummer!
BUT, I am happy to report that the 'ride' is MUCH improved, NO MORE harsh bumps and thuds from the front. I drove over a bridge transition that used to jar my eyeballs, hardly felt it at all, and the freeway was a real treat, with smooth ride and no jarring at all and easy driving with one hand. Coach tracked straight down my lane, did get pushed a bit when a DP went by, but with that huge sail area you got to expect some of that. Body roll is reduced about 20-30% but the real improvement is drive ability, I will be able to get those miles in without getting there with a stiff neck and sore arms from white knuckle driving, that was what I was looking for. Did have some squeaks and creaks from the suspension but that will go away as the parts break in and the paint wears off, and the new bushings seat. I don't have a long trip until the end of the month when we go to the coast, and Hwy's 128/120/101 will be a real test. But so far my expectations have been met. I will be able to 'tweak' the ride by adding or releasing air from the bags, as the recommended pressure is a starting point.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
Old 02-03-2018, 10:17 AM   #25

31V upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by klspahr View Post
Well, they do! The Sumos are slightly compressed at rest. I didn’t expect it to help this much. It also reduces body lean and it now handles better around corners. I consider the suspension alterations to be complete - when the rear Sumos are on.
I've been watching this thread with great interest. we just moved down to 31V as it was set up for what we wanted. I added the steering stabilizer right off before any trip. We made our shake down trip over 1000 plus miles. Here is what we found, (1) yes the vehicle does get a little push around when semi's pass. (2) the whole vehicle shakes and wiggles in the dead air space behind semi's. (3) not fun to drive on rough freeways as if jar's the whole front end.
I am now home and can say that we are very happy our Alante 31V. Yes we will have to do some work on the suspension. The CHF will be first, then rear trac bar of some kind as I tow a jeep or MC trailer. I like the idea of SUMO springs and would be interested in info on how the work for others. Remember people we are driving a box the is taller than it is wide, it is not a car it is a house. This is our third class A, it is not the same as our diesel pusher in ride but it is far better than our first gas 90's model.
KenAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 10:37 AM   #26

We just returned from a 1300 mile trip to Quartzsite for the Rally, and can report on the Air Suspension from Kelderman. In a word 'Great'!! No more harsh thuds and bumps, much smoother ride over bridge transitions and pot holes. I installed the Sumo's on the rear before the trip and they pretty much eliminated the the 'Push' and 'Sway' from trucks, all in all the best suspension mod I have done, I am now happy with the way the coach handles, 1000% better than when new. Now that I am back I will have to go into Ford and have the steering wheel 'centered' to correct the effects on it from the new springs and trak bar, I would do it but it involves lifting the steering column off the box splines, and I don't want to screw up a $800 clock spring airbag.
Just so you have an idea of where my evaluation comes from, I drove semi's and large trucks for years, also drove GMC Bus's for 10 years. This is my 3rd RV, 2nd class A, so I have a pool of experience to draw from. If you took the F53 and put a cargo box on it and drove it local it would be fine (what it was designed for) but putting a 12' high, 8.5' wide, 27' long hallow box on it really does not lend itself to good handling.
Old 02-06-2018, 05:33 PM   #27

Well, decided to center the steering wheel myself after calling the Ford shop and getting a $160 estimate. There is a good step-by-step at IRV2
that was easy to follow, took about 45 minutes, and now the wheel is centered again. Also added both a freezer & Fridge digital LCD temp meter to the front of the fridge, and pantry and closet lights, adding a new SeeLevel II tank monitoring system when it comes in, and also adding a sensor to the LPG tank so the SeeLevel can monitor it also. Getting it dialed in the way I want it.
Old 02-09-2018, 09:48 AM   #28

Sumo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseS View Post
We just returned from a 1300 mile trip to Quartzsite for the Rally, and can report on the Air Suspension from Kelderman. In a word 'Great'!! No more harsh thuds and bumps, much smoother ride over bridge transitions and pot holes. I installed the Sumo's on the rear before the trip and they pretty much eliminated the the 'Push' and 'Sway' from trucks, all in all the best suspension mod I have done, I am now happy with the way the coach handles, 1000% better than when new. Now that I am back I will have to go into Ford and have the steering wheel 'centered' to correct the effects on it from the new springs and trak bar, I would do it but it involves lifting the steering column off the box splines, and I don't want to screw up a $800 clock spring airbag.
Just so you have an idea of where my evaluation comes from, I drove semi's and large trucks for years, also drove GMC Bus's for 10 years. This is my 3rd RV, 2nd class A, so I have a pool of experience to draw from. If you took the F53 and put a cargo box on it and drove it local it would be fine (what it was designed for) but putting a 12' high, 8.5' wide, 27' long hallow box on it really does not lend itself to good handling.
Did you do anything else beside Sumo's for rear handling. The tail wag has to go!
Old 02-09-2018, 10:27 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenAK View Post
Did you do anything else beside Sumo's for rear handling. The tail wag has to go!
I added the Super Steer rear Trak Bar, this is the one thing that eliminates the 'Tail Wag'. All in all I did 5K worth of suspension upgrades, but now my Alante drives more like my class C did, and rides much better.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:37 AM   #30

Thanks that's the help I needed. Probably do the Sumo's later. You have shared a lot of info and been very helpful here on the Jayco site.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:42 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenAK View Post
Thanks that's the help I needed. Probably do the Sumo's later. You have shared a lot of info and been very helpful here on the Jayco site.
No problem, glad to help. If you install the SS Trak Bar yourself the install is pretty straight forward, with the only difficult step being tightening the four pinch bolts on the frame clamp. The 1 1/8" nuts have self locking 'crimped' threads and will need a 3/4 drive with a cheater or breaker bar to get tight.
Old 03-09-2018, 12:11 PM   #32

Would like to private message you.

JesseS, We live near Sacramento. We are impressed with your knowledge of suspension issues on Jayco and would like to PM you either here or on FB if you have that. Have some questions about suspension suppliers and installers you used.
Thanks in advance.
Grannie16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 02:52 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannie16 View Post
JesseS, We live near Sacramento. We are impressed with your knowledge of suspension issues on Jayco and would like to PM you either here or on FB if you have that. Have some questions about suspension suppliers and installers you used.
Thanks in advance.
PM Sent....
Old 03-15-2018, 12:39 PM   #34

THANK you SO MUCH for this thread. My husband and I are contemplating buying a new Alante 29s but we're worried about the ride as I have seen numerous threads complaining about it. It is so good to know that something can be done about it, and you've identified the parts needed, let us know what it costs, etc. We also love so many other features, capacities, layout. We really had our heart set on this make/model, but I was almost convinced to look elsewhere knowing that CDL certified people were refusing to drive it or were fearing for their life.

My question now is Jayco is boasting about Jride being the best... is this a new improvement added as a result of so many complaints about handling, or do old models all have Jride and it's really not good at all?
LandTAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 12:54 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandTAdventures View Post
THANK you SO MUCH for this thread. My husband and I are contemplating buying a new Alante 29s but we're worried about the ride as I have seen numerous threads complaining about it. It is so good to know that something can be done about it, and you've identified the parts needed, let us know what it costs, etc. We also love so many other features, capacities, layout. We really had our heart set on this make/model, but I was almost convinced to look elsewhere knowing that CDL certified people were refusing to drive it or were fearing for their life.

My question now is Jayco is boasting about Jride being the best... is this a new improvement added as a result of so many complaints about handling, or do old models all have Jride and it's really not good at all?
IMHO (and others) the J-Ride touted by Jayco is mainly a marketing gimmick, and does little to improve the inherently bad ride and handling of the F53 Ford chassis when being used as a RV and not a cargo truck as designed. That being said the shorter the Rv the worse the ride, so longer is better in 'most' cases. And as you have read there ARE after market fixes for these issues. The only difference between the J-Ride of older models and newer is the addition of 'Heavy Duty' stabilizers front and rear, I have yet to inspect a newer one so not sure what this entails, but stabilizers alone won't do anything for the 'Tail-wagging', excessive sway, and being 'pushed' around the lane by passing trucks, they would however help with lane tracking under normal conditions. After all of my after marked mod's (the air suspension being the single best) my Alante now rides and handles very well, and we are both happy with it. We loved the size, tankage, and floor plan as it suite our intended use perfectly, but the ride as purchased just sucked to be honest.
Old 03-15-2018, 01:56 PM   #36

We are so close to pulling the trigger, just waiting for accountant to let us know how much we owe on taxes, after that we might put in our order if we still have enough $$ lol. Maybe we will also go ahead and preorder those air cushion shocks and have them installed before we head home. I am so relieved hearing about all you have done. Thanks again!
LandTAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 02:29 PM   #37

2019 models they are moving back the rear wheels 20" or so. Wonder if that will help them ride?
vedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 02:40 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by vedder View Post
2019 models they are moving back the rear wheels 20" or so. Wonder if that will help them ride?
Do you mean Ford is changing the F53 chassis? if so that will help some for sure, but as long as they keep those long leaf springs it won't do much for the 'wag the dog' handling.
Old 04-06-2018, 10:15 AM   #39

Oh my goodness. Just the advice I was looking for. Our first trip to Disneyland and back my sister and I were beat to death. I love my little 2016 Jayco 26Y but the noise, bumps, drift are a bummer. So I need to know what to get to fix it right.
Electric Lady Land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 10:20 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Lady Land View Post
Oh my goodness. Just the advice I was looking for. Our first trip to Disneyland and back my sister and I were beat to death. I love my little 2016 Jayco 26Y but the noise, bumps, drift are a bummer. So I need to know what to get to fix it right.
Hi Neighbor!! (Roseville) If you're in my area PM me and you are welcome to stop by and discuss the Mod's, as well as inspect them.