Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-06-2018, 11:19 AM   #41

I just found my way to the end of this thread! Yes I need help with what you ordered. Please. If I could just get the list that would be great. I already call about the kit but I don't exactly know what to get for the rear. I have to have someone install it all because I can't but thats ok. If you would not mind making a list. Thank you so much. Or I can stop by next weekend if that is OK. When it is not raining.
Electric Lady Land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 11:24 AM   #42

Oh the guy at kelderman wanted to know the width of the leaf spring?? It is raining out there.
Old 04-06-2018, 11:48 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Lady Land View Post
Oh the guy at kelderman wanted to know the width of the leaf spring?? It is raining out there.
The 2016 26AY has 4" leaf springs, kit #KLM15757
This also includes the new tuned front shocks, I personally would replace the small Blistines with all four Koni FSD shocks, then order the kit without the 2 larger Blistines (reduces price by $200) they use, but that is just me.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 11:58 AM   #44

ELL, remember you will have to have the kit truck freight drop shipped at the installer of your choice due to size and weight, I had my suspension installed at Superior Equipment in Newcastle, (833) 343-7351
They also have a shop in Auburn or you might find a local suspension shop to do the work. It has bee a while since I lived in CP so don't know of one off hand.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
Old 04-06-2018, 11:59 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseS View Post
The 2016 26AY has 4" leaf springs, kit #KLM15757
This also includes the new tuned front shocks, I personally would replace the small Blistines with all four Koni FSD shocks, then order the kit without the 2 larger Blistines (reduces price by $200) they use, but that is just me.
Thanks. Ok I don't totally understand. Replace the small Blistines (those are shocks?) Just 2 but order 4 Koni FSD? I better meet up in person if that is possible.
Old 04-06-2018, 12:06 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Lady Land View Post
Thanks. Ok I don't totally understand. Replace the small Blistines (those are shocks?) Just 2 but order 4 Koni FSD? I better meet up in person if that is possible.
No problem if you want to meet up as i live just down the hill from you, I guess I wasn't too clear. You always want to replace shocks as a set of 4, all the same, and rated for your suspension. As you are going to change the suspension, you need to upgrade the shocks. Kelderman will supply new shocks for their kit, but as you only need to upgrade the front, you only get two shocks. You can either purchase the rear set from kelderman, or as I did opt to replace all four with the KONI FSD's, a better shock IMHO, and order the kit without the shocks.
We can take this off the board, I will PM you with my Phone#
Old 04-10-2018, 08:13 PM   #47

We are in our second year with a 2016 Jayco Alante 31L. The original ride was acceptable but not great. We did the CHF front and rear and added a steering stabilizer. Dealer assured us alignment was good, but the alignment shop disagreed. The rig now drives quite well. We don't feel the trucks and the steering is more precise.
Gerry1078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 06:43 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry1078 View Post
We are in our second year with a 2016 Jayco Alante 31L. The original ride was acceptable but not great. We did the CHF front and rear and added a steering stabilizer. Dealer assured us alignment was good, but the alignment shop disagreed. The rig now drives quite well. We don't feel the trucks and the steering is more precise.
Gerry, your Alante 31 handles a lot better than the 26AY due to their longer wheel base, take the issues you had and multiply by 3 and you have the 26AY. Takes more to get it corrected.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:39 AM   #49

Thanks for the info on steering wheel alignment. Mine was off to the right by 10 degrees when we picked it up. Took it to a Ford shop that has a MH division. They charged me $130 to remove the steering wheel and move it one spline. Now it is 5 degrees off to the left. They said they did not know any other way to straighten it further. Really!!! As soon as the weather warms up I will try your method.
HJ Rosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 11:05 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ Rosch View Post
Thanks for the info on steering wheel alignment. Mine was off to the right by 10 degrees when we picked it up. Took it to a Ford shop that has a MH division. They charged me $130 to remove the steering wheel and move it one spline. Now it is 5 degrees off to the left. They said they did not know any other way to straighten it further. Really!!! As soon as the weather warms up I will try your method.
Same thing I ran into, called a Ford Truck shop and was told 1 hour @ $140 or so if no other issues. So I researched it and it was an easy fix. Make sure to tires are straight and be sure to ONLY lift it far enough to clear the splines then turn to center the wheel. (mine was to the right about 20º) It is a pain to get it back down as there is not much room, in hindsight a slide hammer might work, I used a pry bar and hammer, but there was only a couple of inches of room so it took at lot of taps to get it down, be sure to use some blue lock tight on the set bolt.
Old 04-21-2018, 07:55 AM   #51

Quick CHF question, do you do this adjustment on the rear as well? Or just the front? It is my intent to do this as soon as I pull it out of storage next week.
Graunke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 09:05 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graunke View Post
Quick CHF question, do you do this adjustment on the rear as well? Or just the front? It is my intent to do this as soon as I pull it out of storage next week.
Some do just the front or both, as I had the creeper and tools out I did both front and rear. Not a difficult job, took me 45 minutes to do both. Depends on how rusted the bolts are, as mine werre new it was easy.
Old 04-22-2018, 05:18 AM   #53

I've done both at different times. CHF front was big improvement in steering and sway and the rear CHF was noticible for less sway. When going from uneven surfaces.

hawkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 09:39 AM   #54

Just wanted to check in to say today we are having the khelderman air suspension kit installed. Installer called to say he needed our storage compartment keys because they were going to have to drill holes into our storage bays, is this normal? Did they have to do that to your RV Jesse's?
LandTAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 10:13 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graunke View Post
When we picked up our new camper I can tell you with certainty that even if all you do is the front CHF it will be hugely improved. It was downright scary driving it unmodified on the freeway... "Tail wagging the dog" "road wander" "Wind drift" "steering play" and "porpoising" are words I became familiar with and those are experiences I do not want to have again! We bought the tools we needed to do the CHF and performed it ourselves in a Walmart parking lot. Huge difference in steering wheel play! Much more relaxing driving afterwards.
LandTAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 10:35 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandTAdventures View Post
Just wanted to check in to say today we are having the khelderman air suspension kit installed. Installer called to say he needed our storage compartment keys because they were going to have to drill holes into our storage bays, is this normal? Did they have to do that to your RV Jesse's?
I had them put the air fill valves and pressure meter in the front right tool compartment in front of the door, they do have to drill into the plastic to run the air lines. Depends if you got the auto levels with compressor or not how many holes to drill but it should only be in one compartment. Opt for all brass compression fittings instead of the 'push' fitting which will leak after a couple of years (or sooner)
Old 08-21-2018, 02:41 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseS View Post
Not sure how just the Sumo's could 'soften' up the front end as the main issue is too stiff of a spring set, the Sumo's would improve support, & sway but they should not do much of anything to mitigate the harsh and hard ride. I do plan on installing the Sumo's on the rear as my AY loads a lot of cargo towards the rear causing some sag. The only thing I can think of is the SUMO'S 3K lb @ 50% compression lifts the front a bit and allows the Sumo's to dampen the travel before the leaf springs come into play.
I have been following the comments on this topic, I too have a very hard ride on my 2018 Precept29v Jayco/Thor, it seems to me that rather than adding this or that to the front end should we not do something to soften the ride? The springs on the F53 chassis are way too stiff to let the suspension move, could it be better to remove one of the leaf springs to get a softer ride??
offshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 03:07 PM   #58

These spring packs only have two or three full lungth non progressive leafs, so the only way to ‘soften’ is to replace them as I did with the Kelderman system.
Old 08-22-2018, 04:36 AM   #59

On my 31 ul 2016 a better ride was gained by replacing the bilsteins with konis. You still have straight axles and leaf springs but it was a noticeable improvement.

hawkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 08:44 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkster View Post
On my 31 ul 2016 a better ride was gained by replacing the bilsteins with konis. You still have straight axles and leaf springs but it was a noticeable improvement.
One of the 1st things I did, and yes it helped. But the non progressive full springs (only two leafs on my 26AY) do not allow the suspension to compress enough to smooth out the bumps, hence the hard ride and transfer of every bump into the coach. The Kelderman springs have 5 leafs of different length and allow a progressive dampening of bumps. My Alante now drives and rides better than my class C did.