Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-06-2017, 02:21 PM   #1

Jarring ride on Alante, fed up!!

Well, I have finally gotten sick and tired of the terrible ride on my 2016 Alante. I have added a Safe-t-steer, rear trac bar, and Koni shocks, all of which has really helped the handling, but done nothing for the pounding the front end takes on most roads. I have weighed the coach and adjusted tire pressure to match, even dropped it 5lb just to see if that helped, some, but not much. The pounding is so bad the overhead bunk has pulled both side rails out of the wall, and anything not tied down is a jumbled mess when we get to the camp site.
After a lot of research I have decided on the Khedelman Air suspension system. They provide the duel air bags, mounts, new springs, shocks (I didn't get them as they said the Koni's were fine) and an adjustable trac bar (pan hard bar for us old school guys). And a local suspension shop will install it.
The entire problem with the F53 Class A Superduty chassis is the front springs are way over rated for the application, the axle and springs are rated at 8000lb, so I needed to load then to about 3700 per side in the front to get full travel, but my weight came in no where close to that, hence the jarring ride as all of the bumps are being transmitted directly to the chassis.
I drove 50 miles to Stockton to ride in a Jayco that had the Khedelman kit installed and we drove up Hwy 99, a very bumpy road, and I was amazed at how smooth and quiet the ride was, sold me. Once I get the kit installed we have a trip in Nov to the coast, so I will let you all know the results.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 04:28 PM   #2

I'll be following along on this. I am happy with the handling since I had it aligned and installed the Safe T Plus, but the constant thuds and thumps are a real downer to me.

Our intent is to upgrade to the larger chassis in a Precept 35S, so I'm curious if the issue is the same on the larger chassis?
Graunke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 05:25 PM   #3

I have a 35s and still get the thuds and thumps. I am lucky as I have not made any suspension modifications except increasing tire pressure to 95-100 psi and my coach seems to handle pretty well. I will probably look into methods to soften the ride next spring but I think with the increase in tire pressure I may have to live with the stiff ride as a trade off for better handling.
Coachhark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 05:43 PM   #4

We don't need or want a larger coach, been there done that. The Alante is the perfect size for the state parks we visit and for boondocking. We only RV 10-12 times a year with one or two long (4 weeks +) trips, and a lot of 4 day runs to the coast or Lake Tahoe basin. Also it fits in my RV area at home nicely. I do put 10-K or so a year on it so need a better driving experience, that's why the air suspension, I will evaluate the ride after a trip and determine if I need the rear bags or not, may only need Sumo bags to level the coach. The suspension will be shipped in two weeks and I have an installer lined up, I want it done for our trip to the coast the end of Nov.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
Old 10-11-2017, 04:04 PM   #5
RWK

I will be interested in your evaluation after the install as I have made all the upgrades listed above and a few others. Good luck.
RWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 05:21 PM   #6

What was the cost ?
jakisslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 11:23 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakisslan View Post
What was the cost ?
The entire system without the Monroe shocks (I have Koni's) was $2395. We picked this coach as it has the perfect for us combination of size, floor plan, tankage, and storage space for the camping we do, so I am not concerned about adding money for a better ride and handling. I have driven buses, semi's, and box trucks so I know how they should handle and ride.
The kit was shipped out and I have an install date for the 26th.
I have mounted a go-pro camera under the air dam to film the suspension action both going to and from the install, and will post both on youtube with a link here.
Old 10-24-2017, 05:14 PM   #8

Horrible ride in our brand new 2018 Jayco Alante 26X

JesseS,
We purchased a 2018 Jayco Alante 26X and just returned from our first
trip .... we drove from Florida to Pa. which we've done many times with other motor homes, Class A, Class B, Class C and a travel trailer, never have we had such a poor ride ... we were terrified at times on the interstate driving alongside tractor trailers. We had to constantly check for upcoming trucks in our mirror due to being buffeted around as they passed making it very difficult to stay in our lane.
We also took a pounding on the interstate, but our major problem was the swaying of the coach and we never did over 60mph, even though the limit was 70 - 75 where other coaches our size and larger were flying by us, something that we could never do with the way this 2018 Alante 26X handled.
We have as I mentioned, driven lots of miles in other coaches and have never had one handle this badly.
We recently had a Safe-T-Plus front stabilizer installed hoping that this would improve the ride, even before taking the trip, because we read reviews on this site so we felt it was a good investment, but it didn't help this coach.
We are taking it to a local MotorHome dealership for a wheel alignment and balancing, hoping this helps our problem. After this last trip, we feel very uncomfortable driving it and if nothing helps, we'll be trading it in for hopefully a better driving coach and of course we'll be losing quite a bit on our trade, but it's better than losing our lives .... this is how bad the ride is.
My wife is refusing to drive this coach until we get the problem taken care of,
and I don't blame her one bit, and she was a professional school bus driver for 20 years.
Has anyone else had similar issues with their Alante besides us and the few folks here?

James
james3345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 05:30 PM   #9

@james 3345 I feel your pain, mine was that bad when I first picked it up. After installing the rear trac bar, koni shocks, doing the CHF, and the safe-t-steer it it much more stable in cross winds or when trucks pass, on a normal freeway I can drive with one hand, something I could never do before, and some trucks don't push me at all, others a foot or so. My big issue now is the thumps and bumps, so bad the overhead bunk pulled the rails out of the wall, hence the air suspension going in on Thursday. I plan on this being my last coach, so I don't mind putting money into it to get it 'dialed' in the best it can be. I knew going in the short wheelbase (158") F53 was going to handle like a pig, but I got a good price on the coach, and knew I would have to put $$$ in it.

PS, the STS will help some but the best is the rear trac bar, stopping the 'tail-wagging-the-dog action of the rear axle shifting on those huge leaf springs.
Old 10-24-2017, 07:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseS View Post
@james 3345 I feel your pain, mine was that bad when I first picked it up. After installing the rear trac bar, koni shocks, doing the CHF, and the safe-t-steer it it much more stable in cross winds or when trucks pass, on a normal freeway I can drive with one hand, something I could never do before, and some trucks don't push me at all, others a foot or so. My big issue now is the thumps and bumps, so bad the overhead bunk pulled the rails out of the wall, hence the air suspension going in on Thursday. I plan on this being my last coach, so I don't mind putting money into it to get it 'dialed' in the best it can be. I knew going in the short wheelbase (158") F53 was going to handle like a pig, but I got a good price on the coach, and knew I would have to put $$$ in it.

PS, the STS will help some but the best is the rear trac bar, stopping the 'tail-wagging-the-dog action of the rear axle shifting on those huge leaf springs.
Hi Jesse,

Which rear trac bar did you get?

I was looking at the Roadmaster, but just the part is 1,100 bucks... wow.
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 07:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Logans View Post
Hi Jesse,

Which rear trac bar did you get?

I was looking at the Roadmaster, but just the part is 1,100 bucks... wow.
I got the one from Supersteer, same company as my Safety-T-Steer, installed myself, not hard as long as you have a 1/2 socket set. It was $525 and you can get it HERE
Works well to control the side to side wagging caused by axle shift. When I was a hot rodder in the 60's we called them Pan Hard Bars.
Old 10-25-2017, 08:02 PM   #12

I too am very interested in how this turns out. So are you doing just the front?

I have a 2017 31UL Precept on 22.5" wheels.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
superdean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 08:03 PM   #13

I'm south of you in Fresno

superdean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 11:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdean View Post
I too am very interested in how this turns out. So are you doing just the front?

I have a 2017 31UL Precept on 22.5" wheels.

I am doing just the front, as suggested by Kelderman rep. I am thinking I may have to add some SUMOsprings to the rear to correct some sag I had when loaded as the rear sat 3" lower than the front. The kit may not be here until Monday now as it had to switch trucks in Denver, bummer as I was hoping to get it on tomorrow... oh well
Old 10-30-2017, 12:25 PM   #15
AHW

Hello. I’m following closely as we are really looking at a 31R. Do you have an idea of what Labor is going to cost? I’d hate to buy something and have to put a ton of money in to it but the floor plan is what we are looking for and the price is right.
Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 12:34 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHW View Post
Hello. I’m following closely as we are really looking at a 31R. Do you have an idea of what Labor is going to cost? I’d hate to buy something and have to put a ton of money in to it but the floor plan is what we are looking for and the price is right.
Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well, the suspension will be delivered today, and the coach is going in today as well, install tomorrow. As per Kelderman the install is 8-10 hours of labor, so whatever your local shop charges per hour. 8 hours is with manual inflate, and 10 hours is with the optional auto-leveling system, which IMHO is not needed on an RV as the front end weight will not change much. I got an estimate of 1K for the install.
Old 10-30-2017, 03:20 PM   #17

Hi AHW,
This is James.... so far we are scheduled for Nov. 1st to have a wheel alignment done and to have all wheels balanced ..... from what the dealer told us it will
cost about $350.00 for that work. We already had the dealer install a SAFE-T PLUS stabilizer in the front ( $950.00), which honestly, didn't seem to change the ride. It was suggested that it should be done to help avoiding losing control of the vehicle in case of a front tire blowout.
Before you put down your hard earned case on a 31R, you should definitely take it for a ride on the interstate .... this seems to be where most handling and jarring problems have occurred with the Jayco Class A. From what I've been reading, it seems like the handling problems are due to the short wheelbase of 158", but I'm not a mechanic.... do plenty of research before purchasing. If you do take it on
the interstate, be prepared with two hands on the steering wheel when a tractor trailer passes you.

Good Luck,
James
Old 10-30-2017, 03:54 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by james3345 View Post
Hi AHW,
This is James.... so far we are scheduled for Nov. 1st to have a wheel alignment done and to have all wheels balanced ..... from what the dealer told us it will
cost about $350.00 for that work. We already had the dealer install a SAFE-T PLUS stabilizer in the front ( $950.00), which honestly, didn't seem to change the ride. It was suggested that it should be done to help avoiding losing control of the vehicle in case of a front tire blowout.
Before you put down your hard earned case on a 31R, you should definitely take it for a ride on the interstate .... this seems to be where most handling and jarring problems have occurred with the Jayco Class A. From what I've been reading, it seems like the handling problems are due to the short wheelbase of 158", but I'm not a mechanic.... do plenty of research before purchasing. If you do take it on
the interstate, be prepared with two hands on the steering wheel when a tractor trailer passes you.

Good Luck,
James
On a 31R he has either a 178 or 190" wheelbase, but I doubt the front end loading is much heaver than my 26AY on the 158". The Safe-T-Steer will do nothing for the 'ride', but will help with wander and rut tracking, but yes, it is more a safety measure to maintain control in case of a front tire blowout.
I just dropped off the Alante at the shop to have the air suspension installed, I have high hopes but we will see. I have the GoPro installed and recorded the OEM suspension, will do the same for the Kelderman to compare. Also, this is the 1st trip after installing the sound proofing under the doghouse, much better, and I still have more to do.
Old 10-30-2017, 09:14 PM   #19

JesseS ..... I'm sure you realize how interested we all are with your results.
We're looking forward to a success story, which of course would save us from a large loss if we had to trade this coach in.... thanks again JesseS.

James
Old 10-31-2017, 02:54 PM   #20

Got a call from the shop, seems one of the spring pack bushings is the wrong size, too many rear and one short on the front. I called Kelderman and they are overnighting a replacement, will delay the install by a day at least. Going to reuse the U-bolts, with new nuts. Seems both Ford and the local shop want close to $50 EACH for them... Really! Mine still look new, no rust and no cracks in the paint (only 20K on them). The drama continues....