Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-17-2018, 07:23 PM   #1

Jayco 36T vs. 36A vs Georgetown 36 B5

Hello all.

I am a relative newbie (we have rented a class C prior) in the market for a class A bunkhouse RV. My wife and I have narrowed it down to three finalists, two of which are Jayco models. The three we are deciding between are the Georgetown 5 36B5 and the Jayco models 36T and 36A. We definitely need a bunkhouse, and with three daughters we figure the extra bathroom will come in quite handy.

Can any of you folks advise me of some of the important differences between the 2 Jayco models that I should take note of? Any strengths or weaknesses of each model, mechanically, ride quality wise, etc.?

The 36T would be a 2018 and the 36A would be a 2019. It appears that they dropped the 36T to change to the 36A, but other than that I'm not sure what the main differences are other than the floorplan and that the 36A uses a residential refrigerator (I do not know it that is an upgrade or not). I'd like to know if one has a better ride than the other, or if there are any known issues with either of these models that I should be on the lookout for.

I'm happy to hear thoughts/opinions on the Georgetown as well if you folks have anything to offer.

I greatly appreciate any guidance you all can provide. I have never run across anything as difficult to sort through as shopping for an RV. It's quite a lot to take in and attempt to digest.

Thank you all very much for your help.
Chilkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 08:29 PM   #2

Since all are based on the Ford F53 chassis (I think I'm right on the Georgetown) I would get the one with longest wheelbase (for best ride) and 22.5" wheels.

We looked at the Georgetown mainly because we were owners of a Forest River fifth wheel.

In the end, the 2 year warranty was the key to our decision and has paid off for us. During our 2 year warranty period our 35S made 4 visits to the dealer for warranty repair.

After one year of ownership we toured the Jayco motorized plant to see how the Class A Precepts are manufactured, confirmation that our decision was the right decision.

Good luck on your final decision.
Old 11-18-2018, 01:51 AM   #3

A few more differences in the 2018s vs 2019s in addition to the Residential fridge for the 2019s as you noted. First if you will be doing much boondocking the dual fuel fridge in the 18s will be much better. The dual fuel 12 cu. ft fridge is pretty large and is a option you can pay for in the 19s at a cost of around $1500.

2nd, for 2019 they dropped the on demand tankless hot water heater which we enjoy and have had zero problems with. They went with a 10 gallon heater and you might run out of hot water with it.

3rd. They dropped the macerator in the 19s which is a nice feature.

From the things dropped I'd think they did it as cost cutting to keep the price down on the 19's. And being the 18 is a year old model and soon to be 2 year old model I'd think you should be able to get a better price on the 18 and possibly more than the usual 30-35% off. The 2 year warranty on both Jayco's is also a major plus vs the Georgetown. Good luck and happy camping!
1955farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 07:05 AM   #4

We have a 31ul but are familiar with the jayco products. We also just looked at the Georgetown xl 378 and 369 models. They have a nice layout and good features. I would try looking at the xl's and jaycos and driving each one. But if I had an extra $25k I would go with tiffin.

hawkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 08:57 AM   #5

Thank you all for your responses. As we definitely need the bunkhouse models, the Georgetown XL series will not work. Unless I am mistaken (and my DW often tells me that I am), the XL series does not offer a bunkhouse.

It seems that I can order and purchase a "built to order" 2019 Jayco 36A with full body paint for less than what I can find leftover 36T units for. This even includes the 36T units which are standard base level paint/graphic packages. Therefore that will probably end the debate between the two.

I'm surprised that this is the case, and it seems crazy to me.....but it is what I have found.

Again, thank you all for the information. Greatly appreciated!
Chilkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 06:57 PM   #6

We have a 2018 36T and love it. If you compare in detail the 18-36T to the 19-36A they have Eliminated a lot that was standard equipment on the 36T from the 36A. I think the main reason they did that was to reduce the price of the 36A and at the same time offered the Prestige line 36B which includes most of the little upgrades that were standard on the 36T.

In my opinion the 2019 36A is a stripped down version of the 2018 36T. The 2019 36B (Prestiege) is more in line with the 36T.
tunatoy is offline   Reply With Quote