Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-06-2019, 10:28 AM   #1

Jayco Anante 31V. 2018

Unit sways quite badly from side to side. Any suggestions ? Was thinking about upgrading the shocks but not sure which ones or if that would help.
Thanks
krisbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 01:51 PM   #2

Do the Cheap Handling Fix (CHF). If you are a DIYer, it's not difficult and you can search on this forum or youtube to find out how. Most F53 chassis motorhomes are the similar enough underneath that a how-to will probably apply to the Alante.
Old 11-06-2019, 02:31 PM   #3

He has a 2018 chassis so probably doesn't have the 2 hole sway bars. CHF type sway bars were not installed after the 17 1/2 year.

OP, install larger Roadmaster swaybars to decrease sway and you can go to Koni FSD shocks for a smother ride.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 04:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
He has a 2018 chassis so probably doesn't have the 2 hole sway bars. CHF type sway bars were not installed after the 17 1/2 year.

OP, install larger Roadmaster swaybars to decrease sway and you can go to Koni FSD shocks for a smother ride.
We have a 2018 Alante 31V and it DOES have the 2-hole sway bars.

We also experienced a fair bit of swaying when windy and being passed as well as road wandering, requiring constant steering corrections.
We did all of the following:

- Added steering stabilizer. This improved the steering feeling subjectively and is supposedly safer in case of a tire blowout but I believe it did not make a difference in terms of swaying and wandering.

- Added rear axle trac bar (panhard rod). This did improve the movement of the coach in terms of swaying.

- Did the CHF . I believe it improved the swaying somewhat but made also the bumpiness of the ride on bad roads a little worse.

- Wheel alignment by a professional truck tire shop. They found the factory alignment was quite a bit off and corrected the toe-in. That made a major difference in terms of wandering.

In summary, I am o.k. with how the MH drives now. That said, it is still a big box on an ancient chassis design and that shows.
- If driving on a flat and smooth road on balmy day, I can let the steering wheel go and the coach will track nicely down the road.
- If the road is crowned or there is cross-wind, it will definitely track to one side.
- If the road is rutted there is significant tramlining, i.e. wandering and required steering corrections
- Passing trucks can still push the vehicle noticably to the side, requiring a steering input. But the latter seems to depend on cross-wind as well because sometimes that happens and sometimes not much, independent of the size of the passing truck.

I kind of got used to it and after a while the steering correction becomes part of the routine.

Edited to say: While the whole vehicle is 2018, I don't know how old the Ford chassis is. It may well be from 2017 or even older.
Jerry Burks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 07:39 AM   #5

Jerry is right on. I have a 31ul precept.

Konis-better ride
Chf and alignment-takes slop out of steering
Rear Trac bar-removes 80% of 'tail wagging the dog's where tail is pushed by wind creating extra steering input and white knuckle.

I can drive one handed in most conditions with less stress. It now drives ok.

hawkster is offline   Reply With Quote