Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-15-2020, 01:26 PM   #1

Jayco Precept Engine Cover

My 2017 Jayco Precept engine cover looks as if it was never supposed to be open to provide access to the engine. It's evidently bolted down and they carpet is sewn over it. Has any one out there modified their Jayco Precept cover to be easily removable for access to the engine?
Attached Thumbnails
20171120_140144.jpg  
hikerjohn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 03:54 PM   #2

I have the same question!
Southernman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 06:17 PM   #3

Engine Cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southernman View Post
I have the same question!
Thor, which now owns Jayco makes similar class A's to Jayco and they have an engine cover that has some what looks like easily accessible fasteners. I m wondering if a Thor engine cover with fit the Precept.
Attached Thumbnails
20181102_131235.jpg  
Old 04-15-2020, 06:19 PM   #4

Latest Jayco Engine Cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikerjohn7 View Post
Thor, which now owns Jayco makes similar class A's to Jayco and they have an engine cover that has some what looks like easily accessible fasteners. I m wondering if a Thor engine cover with fit the Precept.
I just discovered that Jayco now has a new engine cover. Here it is and it looks like it might be able to replace the 2017 Jayco's cover.
Attached Thumbnails
JaycoCockpit.PNG  
Old 04-16-2020, 03:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikerjohn7 View Post
I just discovered that Jayco now has a new engine cover. Here it is and it looks like it might be able to replace the 2017 Jayco's cover.
Interesting. Would love to replace mine. Any idea if Jayco would sell the engine cover? I'm going to start researching on where to get one.

2017 Precept 35S
2021 Jeep Wrangler toad
Roadmaster Nighthawk tow bar RviBrake3
GMA385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 06:45 PM   #6

Engine Cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMA385 View Post
Interesting. Would love to replace mine. Any idea if Jayco would sell the engine cover? I'm going to start researching on where to get one.
I will too. First I will call our big Le Mesa dealer here in South Florida to see if they can get one and if it will fit. I've been told the manufactures generally allow dealers to purchase parts.

Please let us know what you find out.
Old 04-20-2020, 06:57 PM   #7
Drv

To original post, your unit looks like my parents 2014. The fasteners are screws placed through the carpeted sides on the "dog house" they are hidden in the carpet pile. You probably can feel them easier then seeing them. A flashlight or small magnet may help you locate them easier. Ours were no more then an inch off the bottom edge. We had six screws total. One on each side towards the very front of "dog house" One on each side towards the back side, before corners, then two screwed in the back.
If you search sound deadening, I believe a forum member has shown the removal and sound deadening of doghouse with pics. Very helpful when we pulled up front carpeted area and doghouse to sound deaden unit. Made a HUGE difference in noise. -6db drop over highest measured levels. (phone db app)
Drv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 08:23 PM   #8

Precept Doghouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drv View Post
To original post, your unit looks like my parents 2014. The fasteners are screws placed through the carpeted sides on the "dog house" they are hidden in the carpet pile. You probably can feel them easier then seeing them. A flashlight or small magnet may help you locate them easier. Ours were no more then an inch off the bottom edge. We had six screws total. One on each side towards the very front of "dog house" One on each side towards the back side, before corners, then two screwed in the back.
If you search sound deadening, I believe a forum member has shown the removal and sound deadening of doghouse with pics. Very helpful when we pulled up front carpeted area and doghouse to sound deaden unit. Made a HUGE difference in noise. -6db drop over highest measured levels. (phone db app)
Thanks for the information. I looked at the "sound deadening" photos and I am trying to visualize what the doghouse cowling is actually made of or... what's under the carpet. Is it made of fiberglass or sheet metal, etc?
Old 04-22-2020, 08:38 PM   #9
Drv

Ours was reinforced fiberglass with the carpet glued to the outside. On the bottom side facing engine you should have a "basic" sound deadening liner of sorts. I have seen some reports from members that theirs was missing or really light weight.
Ours was still in good shape and very well secured to "dog house" so I was able to clean the old liners exposed surface and adhere new dynamat hood liner directly to old liner. Doubling up sound deadening material.
Drv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine cover