Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-29-2020, 04:48 PM   #1

Jayco Precept Rearview Mirror Jiggling

I noticed that the right-hand rearview mirror on my 2017 Jayco Precept began to jiggle while on the highway making if difficult for me to see traffic behind me clearly. Has any other Jayco Precept owners out there observed this?

When I tried to re-tighten the four wood screws that held the mirror mount to the RV's outer wall, I found that the two upper screws turned freely because the threads tapped into the wall's inner core by the screws had deteriorated.

It was difficult to examine the wall's internal laminated structure because the screw holes were so small but I did see what might be a very slight bulge in the wall's outer surface directly under the mirror indicating some possible wall delamination. I believe the outer wall of this Precept's model incorporates Luan plywood and it might have suffered softening and bulging which could be from water intrusion. The question is where the water might have gained entry.

My theory is that water could have leaked in around the four mirror mount screws which appeared to not have been sealed by Jayco when they manufactured my RV. It doesn't take many drops over two and a half years to effect the inner plywood layer. I checked the co-pilot's window over the mirror and there doesn't appear to be any leaking there.

I re-secured the loose mirror's mount by changing the fasteners. I replaced the wood screws by drilling all the way through the wall and using stainless machine screws that threaded into washers and lock-nuts on the inside of the wall. It was tricky because I had to get under the dash to install the washers and nuts where screws protruded through. This scheme allowed me to apply an ample amount of torque to the screws to stabilize the mirror. I then applied an ample bead of outdoor sealer all around both mirror mount pads. I also covered the screws heads with sealer.

Hopefully my experience might help anyone else out there before they have the same problem with their Precepts.
Attached Thumbnails
2017JaycoPreceptMirror.jpg  
hikerjohn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 07:40 AM   #2

Thanks for that. My left mirror is jiggling but the mount screws are tight. I may copy your fix.

hawkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 10:14 AM   #3

Jigglig, Leaking Precept Mirror

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkster View Post
Thanks for that. My left mirror is jiggling but the mount screws are tight. I may copy your fix.
While laying in bed last night, I thought of another way the Precept's mirrors could be allowing water into the outer wall besides through the mount screw heads.

The mirror and it's housing appears to be designed so that rain can enter around the mirror and get into its actuation mechanism. If it does, then water can run down the wires that go through the wall thus allowing place for it to get into the wall's lamination layers. I suspect this is true because I noticed what looks like a passage way (a whole) in the bottom of the base which might have been machined into the base to allow any water to drain out. If water does get into the base internally where it contacts the wall, then the water could seep in around the screws there also as well as into the access hole for the wires.

Today I plan to try to lifting the mirror's housing out of its base by loosening the set screws on the arm and see if I can get access to where the wires go through the base. They must go through a tunnel in the base. If I can get to that juncture, I will try to flood the entrance to the tunnel around the wires with sealer. It would be a little messy but it could keep water from getting past the wires down into the base.

Otherwise, I am thinking about removing the base from the wall again and applying additional sealer between the base and the wall where the screws and wires go through before I re-fasten the base to the wall. Then I would also reseal the base and screws on the outside.

This is a pain and I am really disappointed in Jayco for this poor mirror attachment design. I am concerned because I already have a slight bulge in the wall below the mirror indicating some possible wood swelling. Even minute seepage of water into the holes in the wall can cause further delamination as the wood absorbs it.
Old 03-30-2024, 05:51 AM   #4

Thanks for this as well! I tried loosening the 3 Allen Head screws that hold the mirror onto the mounting arm. I loosened them but the mirror base is corroded into the arm and will not turn or come loose! I wd40'd it but hasnt helped as yet. I am afraid the mirror [or other] will crack/break if I put more force on it!
richwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 09:25 AM   #5

Leakage Through Mirror Mount Screws

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikerjohn7 View Post
While laying in bed last night, I thought of another way the Precept's mirrors could be allowing water into the outer wall besides through the mount screw heads.

The mirror and it's housing appears to be designed so that rain can enter around the mirror and get into its actuation mechanism. If it does, then water can run down the wires that go through the wall thus allowing place for it to get into the wall's lamination layers. I suspect this is true because I noticed what looks like a passage way (a whole) in the bottom of the base which might have been machined into the base to allow any water to drain out. If water does get into the base internally where it contacts the wall, then the water could seep in around the screws there also as well as into the access hole for the wires.

Today I plan to try to lifting the mirror's housing out of its base by loosening the set screws on the arm and see if I can get access to where the wires go through the base. They must go through a tunnel in the base. If I can get to that juncture, I will try to flood the entrance to the tunnel around the wires with sealer. It would be a little messy but it could keep water from getting past the wires down into the base.

Otherwise, I am thinking about removing the base from the wall again and applying additional sealer between the base and the wall where the screws and wires go through before I re-fasten the base to the wall. Then I would also reseal the base and screws on the outside.

This is a pain and I am really disappointed in Jayco for this poor mirror attachment design. I am concerned because I already have a slight bulge in the wall below the mirror indicating some possible wood swelling. Even minute seepage of water into the holes in the wall can cause further delamination as the wood absorbs it.
I agree that this could be a source of leakage into the Jayco Precepts outer wall that allows water into the inner wood laminate. I regularly check the calking of this screws and reseal them from time to time.
Old 03-30-2024, 03:39 PM   #6

Just my 'sperience, FWIW-(You may want to click on the pics to enlarge)

Snapped PS mirror off at a dark rest stop in TX filled with trucks ..... one of which had a pipe extending a few ft rearward from its trailer bed. No excuses though.....my bad [haven't driven after dark since :^) ]

Re corrosion: I had to thread in a pipe tap to serve as a handle to get the spherical part of the mount out of the assembly. After a 24-hr soak with PB Blaster, mounted the tap in a vice and used a 2# machinists persuader hammer to separate the two pieces. BTW- I bought the rig used at PPL Houston, and it had lived near the gulf for a couple of years since new.

Re water entry: IIRC, the wiring will have a sort of drip loop when you install it ..... it just happens. Water should, in fact, drip off and leave via the hole in the bottom of the mount.

Mine had a foam gasket at the mount/sidewall interface and no sealant in sight. The gasket tore on removal and I chose not to install a new one. Maybe closed-cell foam would be OK, but I didn't trust it. After installation, I ran a bead of Geocell clear across the top of the mount and down the sides. I check it often. I thought I would likely need to do the ol' "toothpick and glue" trick when installing the mount with those lag screws into that (3/4"?) plywood siding but I applied considerable torque and they were good.

All ended well. I got a new mirror assy (less the convex mirror and camera) from RAMCO Engineering. They are a Jayco supplier. Really great folks to deal with if you ever have the need. They sold me a "blem" for a fraction of new cost and, for the life of me, I could not find any blemish.......perfect.

Good times and safe travels all.
Attached Thumbnails
Precept Mirror Mnt-Annotataed.jpg   Mirror mount.jpg  
Toad: 2016 Kia Soul w/6-spd DIY
"Be the person you needed when you were younger"
youracman is offline   Reply With Quote