Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-27-2016, 09:19 AM   #1

Jayco Precept vs Newmar Etc

I've been snooping around (online) at various Class A manufacturers and time and time again, Newmar comes up as the "best" of the "best". The second most common "great product", seems to be Tiffen.

Now I know that's a bit like saying Ford is better than Chev, etc, etc....., but I did wonder what made Precept or Alante owners choose the Jayco over other manufacturers. A few years ago, when the Precept first came out, it was definitely less expensive than say a (Newmar Bay Sport or entry level Tiffen or Fleetwood Bounder) of similar size, but the Precepts are creeping up lately.

We are on our second Jayco travel trailer, and really like the brand and quality, but if we did move to a Class A, I am not as certain we'd stick with Jayco. Am hoping some insights from owners would help us, when the time comes.

So what made you choose the Jayco Class A over others?
2014 Jayflight 24FBS Elite (Sold)
ykcamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 09:57 AM   #2

Why we chose Precept

We had a 2014 Jayco Melbourne 29D for three years and were generally pleased with it. Only had one "failure." Wanted to move up to Class A. Considered such things as Winnebago Vista 30T. Finally concluded that 2017 Precept 31UL gives you more for your money. And the transition has been eased by the fact that the Precept and the Melbourne have a lot of similarities in how they do things, so there is less to learn. Some design aspects of the Precept are going to take some getting used to; you'll probably be seeing me on here trying to clarify some things. But we have only had the Precept for two weeks so will sort things out on our own for a while.
chasfenwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 11:31 AM   #3

Tiffin and Newmar are both family owned. Tiffin is well known for their customer service...they hold molds and plans for every item that they make in house and hold them for years and years. In many cases, they will make a new one for you and I have heard sometimes they will send you a new part for free. Newmar is known for their woodwork. Their cabinets are prob the best you can get unless you have a custom rig made by like Newell or someone like that. In all reality, you cant really compare a Jayco class A to Newmar class A just because the best Jayco is almost like the lowest end Newmar. This is mainly just because Jayco only offers gassers and does not give the length that Newmar offers. Because it is a gasser, Jayco has to use much lighter materials. If Jayco ever made a DP, then it could start to compete with that segment.
Old 11-27-2016, 12:28 PM   #4

To fully answer your question, from what I have seen, the Precept has more features for the money than the lower end Newmar or Tiffin units. Example...the Precept is much more motorhome than the Bay Star and closely compares to the Canyon Star, but the Canyon star will cost thousands more when built spec to spec. At the same time, you also want to question the the help you may get from the manufacture with these type of units. With Jayco, you are going to get "'This guy has one of our most expensive units, we need to keep him happy." With Newmar Bay Star or Canyon star, you might get sub par service just because they are going to spend more time on the people who spent WAY more money on their higher end units like the Mountain Aire's. Now in my humble opinion, why anyone buys a Class A with a gas engine is beyond me. Once they drive a diesel, it is night and day difference. Once my kids are gone and my wife and I go looking for OUR class A, I will for sure be looking for one with the torque of a DP.
Old 11-27-2016, 04:28 PM   #5

I just bridged over from a TT to a 31 UL love it but if I had the extra funds I would have went with the Newmar I have been a Jayco customer since 1991 I've owned 7 Jayco over the years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-27-2016, 04:29 PM   #6

The hefty price premium for DP is totally out of reason for many RV'ers, considering that most of the amenities of the coach are pretty much the same. Made no sense for us.
chasfenwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 07:25 PM   #7

I hear you! But I wasn't really meaning to compare a Newmar diesel to a Precept, more the "gasser" to "gasser", which I think is mainly their Bay Star and Canyon Star line.
Old 11-27-2016, 10:11 PM   #8

To answer your question, I chose Jayco because it had a higher quality look and feel compared to the entry level gas coaches of other similarly priced units from Thor and Forest River. Honestly, Winnebago, Newmar, and especially Tiffin were out of my price range. I was set on getting a class C, but drifted toward class A gas because of the following reasons: 1) More powerful 3 valve 6.8L V10 instead of the 2 valve one, 2) Larger freshwater, gray, and black water tanks, 3) Larger living space and bigger storage capacity, 4) Fiberglass roof rather than a TPO roof offered on the competitors, and 5)Heavy duty, purpose-built motorhome chassis rather than a modified van cutaway chassis of a C class. At nearly 2 years, my Jayco Precept keeps getting better and better. I recently added the 5-Star Tune, which has significantly increased the engine's power and improved the transmission's shifting, making it much more refined and enjoyable to drive, especially on my recent 220 mile round trip.
Cycledoc675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 09:58 AM   #9

Newmar & Tiffin high end gas models are finished better imo, a fair amount quieter (I have been in both on the road), furniture much more comfortable (I hate our couch), "they" also have better wheel base to length ratio at least when compared to the 31ul.

You may take you rig to Newmar with a set appointment for any repairs (big to me), with Tiffin you arrive and get in line (but closer to me).

I believe the statement of a Precept being "their" entry level true. If I were buying again, I would buy high end Newmar or Tiffin. If budget was a major concern the Precept is hard to beat.

This was our first RV of any kind, love our layout, and like the rest of our coach. We have learned what we really like, just need to hit the lottery (Tiffin Phaeton).

I found a great deal on a 2016 Newmar Canyon Star I would love to have, big problem to me it had the old 5 speed transmission.

Just to throw this out there, the difference in a DP and a gas coach is large, very large. Mots people only think more torque and engine in the rear. You also get a real air suspension, heavier truck frame, air brakes, exhaust brake, and in most cases a 10k pound tow capacity.

Steve
StevL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 08:00 AM   #10

Bottom line for us was price point.

Our dealer had both the Precept and the Newmar Bay Star on the lot which allowed us to really compare units.

Newmar had the larger frame (22k), better slideout system IMO, better fit and finish. Newmar components were the same and engine was the same but lacked a good floor layout IMO, only one AC unit and the ride seemed rougher. Also only one year warranty.

Steve

Steve & Sharon
2015 Precept 31UL
Tow - 2010 Honda CR-V
gmapatime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 10:10 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmapatime View Post
Newmar components were the same and engine was the same but lacked a good floor layout.....

Steve
I have to agree, the one really strong point is that the 31UL is a fantastic floor plan IMO too.

Steve
Old 11-30-2016, 07:18 PM   #12

We spent years looking at many different manufacturers, and types of RV's.

Based upon price point, floor plan, standard options, and Jayco's reputation, the 2017 31 UL was our choice.

We don't intend to full time, or drive for days on end. Perhaps if our needs were different, we'd have selected something different.

Just spent a month in the RV, and it has not disappointed us.

Frankly, all recent gas class A's are built pretty much the same.There is not a whole lot of difference between them. Each has it's claim to fame. But at the end of the day, it really boils down to floor plan, type of use and price point.

Yea, I've driven the DP's. No comparison in the way they drive.Kind of like the difference between a greyhound bus, and a school bus. But like ALL rv's, they are not without problems
But we still decided on the 31UL, and don't regret it.

Anyone insisting upon the perfect trouble free RV, should spend their money on a nice car and hotel rooms.
Roadmaster Falcon Tow bar
Henderson rear trac bar
Safe-T Plus
FlaBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 07:33 PM   #13

We just spent 4 months in ours and did not have one problem the entire time. During this time the DW and I realized we made the right choice. Only thing that is on our list for replacement is the sofa.

Steve

Steve & Sharon
2015 Precept 31UL
Tow - 2010 Honda CR-V
gmapatime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 07:48 PM   #14

Quote:
We just spent 4 months in ours and did not have one problem the entire time. During this time the DW and I realized we made the right choice. Only thing that is on our list for replacement is the sofa.

Steve
The sofa is lacking a bit. But ok for how we use it.We don't seem to spend much time in the main living area.The time we do spend seems to center more around the dining room table.
I do enjoy my mourning coffee sitting in the rotated captains chair.
But I agree with you. If I was to change anything, the first would be a nice plush recliner sofa. However, I'd probably never leave the RV, and miss all neat things I got the thing for in the 1st place.

We'll be in the RV for 3 months starting in January. I suspect I'll remain as satisfied as you are.
Henderson rear trac bar
Safe-T Plus
Old 12-01-2016, 04:17 PM   #15

Quote:
Only thing that is on our list for replacement is the sofa.

Steve
+1

We just picked on out at Lazyboy for ours We could care less about having a bed there.

Steve
Old 12-02-2016, 08:24 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevL View Post
+1

We just picked on out at Lazyboy for ours We could care less about having a bed there.

Steve
Thanks for all the responses! Helpful. With regard to the couch, I note that the 2017's now have the theatre seating option. It looks a lot more comfortable.
Old 12-02-2016, 05:47 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ykcamom View Post
Thanks for all the responses! Helpful. With regard to the couch, I note that the 2017's now have the theatre seating option. It looks a lot more comfortable.
I have compared the theater seating to the couch, and the theater seats are much better for "lounging" and TV watching.

We very rarely watch the TV on the LR together, and tend to watch movies in the BR at night.

We thought the couch may be better for company, and the occasional overnight-er. Albeit, not very comfortable
Henderson rear trac bar
Safe-T Plus
Old 12-02-2016, 11:11 PM   #18

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the suspension difference between the Tiffin, Newmar, and Precept. Doesn't the Precept have the Bluestein shocks and the others do not? What about this Jride plus? Is it better than the other two?
Gosman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 07:15 AM   #19

Jayco makes Entegra coach to compete with Newmar tiffin, and some high end brands. They really have nothing in high end gas coach area to compete with other brands. They really only focus on the entry level short gas coaches and super c types before getting into entegra. Also the whole Jayco umbrella is now owned by THOR. So in a few years I suspect they will all be similar

2017 F250 CCLB 6.2 4.30 gears
2500hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 11:44 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gosman View Post
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the suspension difference between the Tiffin, Newmar, and Precept. Doesn't the Precept have the Bluestein shocks and the others do not? What about this Jride plus? Is it better than the other two?
Years ago I test drove both a tiffin allegro and newmar baystar. Both gas, and both on the ford chassis. I don't remember a drastic difference between any of them.
The longer the wheelbase the better. But then weight becomes a factor.

Jayco's j-ride may be an attempt to mitigate the effects of the overall poor quality ride of the F53 chassis, particularly on the shorter wheel base models.

I'm under no illusion that the F53 ford chassis is anything more than a simple generic truck chassis. Some manufacturers try to improve them as much as possible. And there are after market options.

But at the end of the day, the ride will never compare to a DP.

If a bus like ride is imperative, then a DP is a necessity.

I'm good with my simple little 31UL.......for now
Henderson rear trac bar
Safe-T Plus