Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-08-2023, 08:01 AM   #1

Jayco! re-route the fuel line out from behind the Onan 5500 generator on the Precept!

Code 36. Tried all the fixes including heat sleeves on fuel lines, adding fuel pump close to the tank, lower oil level, higher oil level. What fixed it was re-routing the fuel line at the generator, right across the top of the generator, not behind it like from factory. Fuel was vaporizing in the line in the factory location which is extremely hot when driving. I've been trying for several weeks to keep it running in 90+ Temps. Finally was able to get it solved today while driving. Got it to shut down, then proceeded to troubleshoot in a parking lot. No fuel at bowl. Even holding down prime button. Cut fuel line about 4 feet behind generator (i dont recommend doing this lol). Plenty of pressure and fuel there. Rigged up new line above generator, bypassing factory line. Ran for 5 hours driving in 92 degree heat. Never shut down. It's the first time I've been able to keep it running in 90+ heat.

I've run the generator multiple times now in 90+ degrees for hours (10+) driving, sitting in traffic, parked, everything and it won't shut off until I shut it off.
4star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2023, 01:38 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4star View Post
Code 36. Tried all the fixes including heat sleeves on fuel lines, adding fuel pump close to the tank, lower oil level, higher oil level. What fixed it was re-routing the fuel line at the generator, right across the top of the generator, not behind it like from factory. Fuel was vaporizing in the line in the factory location which is extremely hot when driving. I've been trying for several weeks to keep it running in 90+ Temps. Finally was able to get it solved today while driving. Got it to shut down, then proceeded to troubleshoot in a parking lot. No fuel at bowl. Even holding down prime button. Cut fuel line about 4 feet behind generator (i dont recommend doing this lol). Plenty of pressure and fuel there. Rigged up new line above generator, bypassing factory line. Ran for 5 hours driving in 92 degree heat. Never shut down. It's the first time I've been able to keep it running in 90+ heat.

I've run the generator multiple times now in 90+ degrees for hours (10+) driving, sitting in traffic, parked, everything and it won't shut off until I shut it off.
Thanks for posting the update to your fuel line relocation.
nhake01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2023, 05:36 PM   #3

X2 on the thanks for posting. Your result squares well with an old post (perhaps different forum, donít remember) where a guy temporarily capped off his generatorís OEM fuel line and fed his Onan with a portable, plastic marine gas tank (like for an outboard) from the next door storage bay. He didnít give a lot of detail on that configuration, but his overheat shutdown went away. IIRC, he ended up moving his fuel pump away from the generator and mounted it on the Ford frame. So there are at least 2 instances where it shows that fuel starvation is a huge contributor to high ambient temperature shut down ÖÖ maybe the main one?

Thanks again; and good times and safe travels to ya, 4star.
Toad: 2016 Kia Soul w/6-spd DIY
"Be the person you needed when you were younger"
youracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2023, 08:14 PM   #4

Yeah I saw that thread. I think it was a group that had similar issues with Thor units. They were talking class action lawsuit. I included some of that in my troubleshooting. First, I replaced the fuel pump. Still shut down. Then I moved the fuel pump outside the generator housing. Still shut down. Tried non-ethanol gas.. helped but still shut down. Then I insulated the line from the carb bowl to the tank. Better, but still shut down. Then I relocated the pump back towards the tank. Better again but would still shut down on hot days (~2 to 3 hours on 90+ days) then got fed up and cut the line behind the generator where I verified the flow was still good (i was just going to keep cutting until i found good, non-vaporized gas lol). Relocated the fuel hose at the generator and no shut down.... and I've tortured it since then. Over 100 hours on the generator troubleshooting it. You know, it's a friggin shame we have to go through this BS when you pay over $100k for a class A RV. I'm a mechanic/dirt racer/fabricator by trade so none of this is really difficult for me but it's not the same for some folks who don't have this knowledge or gumption to fix something that shouldn't need fixed when you spend this kind of money for a motorhome. We put a man on the moon in 1969 but we can't run an air conditioner in a motorhome on a 90 degree day in 2023.
Old 05-28-2024, 12:39 PM   #5

I was reading your discussion - re-routing your generator fuel line.

Can you provide some details? I have a 2015 Fleetwood Storm with the Onan 4000 and the generator compartment is driver's side, right behind the engine (Triton V10). I have replaced the fuel pump and cut a vent with a shroud in my generator door, but my generator is shutting off and I'm still getting code 36 on 90+ days.

My steel fuel line runs behind the generator to the front of the generator - where the the fuel pump is located. I'm a bit leery of trying to re-route this steel fuel line and I'm still not sure how it would help considering that my fuel pump is still right up front behind the coach engine (left-hand side of the generator as you look at it from the open door).

Any insight?

Thanks,
Ryan
rgnprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2024, 03:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgnprof View Post
I was reading your discussion - re-routing your generator fuel line.

Can you provide some details? I have a 2015 Fleetwood Storm with the Onan 4000 and the generator compartment is driver's side, right behind the engine (Triton V10). I have replaced the fuel pump and cut a vent with a shroud in my generator door, but my generator is shutting off and I'm still getting code 36 on 90+ days.

My steel fuel line runs behind the generator to the front of the generator - where the the fuel pump is located. I'm a bit leery of trying to re-route this steel fuel line and I'm still not sure how it would help considering that my fuel pump is still right up front behind the coach engine (left-hand side of the generator as you look at it from the open door).

Any insight?

Thanks,
Ryan
Welcome Aboard! What a lot of people have reported, the fuel line runs near the exhaust and the heat of the exhaust causes the fuel to vapor lock in the fuel line. I believe they were talking about the chassis exhaust and not the genny exhaust. Lots of posts on this subject, so a little searching the forum might help clarify.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2024, 09:52 PM   #7

This is the fix Jayco came up with…

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...32094-0001.pdf

I had this done a couple months ago and will be testing it soon as the weather heats up here in California.

I have a 2022 Jayco Precept 36C
Old 05-29-2024, 08:50 AM   #8

This is inside my generator while running and then right after shut down.
No wonder the fuel boils...
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20240529_104229_EasyLog Cloud.jpg  
Old 05-29-2024, 09:35 AM   #9

A related thought to share:

Years ago (and likely still occurs today) many Class C owners reported that the floorboard and in particular on the passenger side, would get very hot while driving. Most suggestions were to better insulate the floor of the cab and the doghouse. There was a suggestion that I remembered regarding the use of insulation designed for use around the exhaust pipe. I never encountered the extreme heat of the floorboard so I haven't tested this but I suspect it would certainly help.

My thoughts are that if after insulating the generator fuel line and if the problem still existed, I would highly consider wrapping (insulating) the exhaust pipe in the area of the fuel line. ~CA
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.JPG  
Old 05-29-2024, 11:06 AM   #10

I'm getting ready to put some sumo helper springs on my couch I had them on my 2018 Thor and I'm putting them on my 2020 jayco but when I went to one shop that specialized in diesels primos in particular they said that they would have to charge me too much an hour to work on my gas and sent me to a different shop but while I was there they suggested that I go to Koni shocks they could give me as good a ride as just the sumo helper springs do. Does anybody know anything about the Koni shocks?
Shoman04 is offline   Reply With Quote